• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index Episodes 1-14 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
reads full review.. huh well I got nothing to add or say at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It's really too bad that Index couldn't keep it up for the second half of the first season (and pretty much the entire second season as well), but these first 14 episodes are very good. And it shows that the series is capable of.
Skullface

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I recently re-watched the show while reading the light novel along side it to compare and the 2nd arc really was cut down quite a bit. I really liked that arc in the novel but spoiler[the only thing they kept the same in the anime was the last scene with the alchemist while everything else was changed to some degree. Even took out a pretty awesome fight]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's really too bad that Index couldn't keep it up for the second half of the first season (and pretty much the entire second season as well), but these first 14 episodes are very good. And it shows that the series is capable of.
It's like they forgot what the title of the show was. There was no Index in the second half of Index.

I do appreciate a main character whose ultimate special attack is to just punch the other dude in the face.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
It's like they forgot what the title of the show was. There was no Index in the second half of Index.

I do appreciate a main character whose ultimate special attack is to just punch the other dude in the face.

He is also for gender equality as well, rather it be male or female they take a punch right to face...

Megiddo wrote:

well with out any major spoilers I did like how the show in the second seasonspoiler[ fleshed out more of the clones, lo with accelerator and how it changed from one flow to the other in matter of just one epiosde]. Index overall is a pretty good series the only problem is the pacing but that could be said for a lot of other series.

[Mod Edit: Please tag spoilers, even if they aren't major spoilers. - Keonyn]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

It starts to get tiring when his opponents have to start suddenly getting stupid just so they can be beat by him.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

It starts to get tiring when his opponents have to start suddenly getting stupid just so they can be beat by him.

hmm well there is one that he couldn't beat but this is a spoiler click at your own risk please spoiler["touma had to fight archangel Gabriel and even his power wasn't enough for moral speech 23432432"]

I will not say anymore on this series at all pm if you want to talk about it again as stated do not click the spoiler unless you really want to know about a future battle.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

hmm well there is one that he couldn't beat but this is a spoiler click at your own risk please spoiler["touma had to fight archangel Gabriel and even his power wasn't enough for moral speech 23432432"]

I will not say anymore on this series at all pm if you want to talk about it again as stated do not click the spoiler unless you really want to know about a future battle.

Thats nice, that at some point in the future, Touma's HAX finally stops working.

In the meantime, I don't really give a shit, because it got really irritating by the end of the second season how the only people allowed to actually accomplish anything were Touma and Accelerator.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

And by the end of the second season, its quite clear that there are no set rules for how Touma's magic hand works. It works however the hell they want it to at any given moment.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
^ They're the MC's what did you expect? Anime hyper

Anywho, I really enjoy this series and I'm glad to see it got a good review here as these episodes are awesome.

as for season twospoiler[ For me personally most of the arcs were ok, except for one major nitpick I had with each of them. First real arc I cared very little for the red haired nun or the acctuall plot behind that particular arc, the second arc I'm not a kuroko fan because she cockblocks my beloved ToumaxMisaka momments, but It helped her grow on me abit. Third arc had a intresting premise and everything but it was dragged on for too long. I wasn't a fan of the setting for the fourth arc. The 5th and 6th(or maybe just 5th?) are the only ones I liked in their entirty throughout and wasn't annoyed by something. The last segement, while very important for future events felt very condensed and the animation value noticibly went down.]

All in all though whatever flaws it has its got a TON of plus's to it and the LN's are excellent, and got me pumped for whenever season 3 arrives *I was bouncing all over the walls when the movie was announced.* In a nutshell its very enjoyable.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

For them to use some of the bajillion other characters the show introduces and then shoves off into a corner?

How many girls are living in some random dorm complex run by the church now? A dozen? Woudl be nice if some of them actually did something.

And don't even get me started on the sports fest arc. So much stupid.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

For them to use some of the bajillion other characters the show introduces and then shoves off into a corner?

How many girls are living in some random dorm complex run by the church now? A dozen? Woudl be nice if some of them actually did something.

And don't even get me started on the sports fest arc. So much stupid.

point taken, but I really don't care. The only one I wish would do more is misaka because she seriously COULD but oh well, that happens later. as for everyone else, same thing, LATER.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
point taken, but I really don't care. The only one I wish would do more is misaka because she seriously COULD but oh well, that happens later. as for everyone else, same thing, LATER.

Thankfully she has her own show where she's allowed to actually do things and be awesome.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

And by the end of the second season, its quite clear that there are no set rules for how Touma's magic hand works. It works however the hell they want it to at any given moment.

again this is review on ep 1-14 season one but in all honesty it's J.C. Staff what do you expect?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Thankfully she has her own show where she's allowed to actually do things and be awesome.

one thing I will point out is this imouto or clone arc was in the rail-gun manga, no-where to be seen in the index LN or Manga. J.C.staff figured it would mesh well and it did, however it was much much more crueler in the manga and if you want dark, read that. Misaka also holds her own later down the road in the LN but again that's not animated or up yet...aye I could talk forever on this show but I don't want to spoil anything.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

again this is review on ep 1-14 season one but in all honesty it's J.C. Staff what do you expect?

For people to not erroneously blame things on the animation studio?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6