• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled's New Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timesteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
More Code Geass is no problem for me and I really like the footage shown although the CG Knightmare Frames will take getting use to.

I wonder if this OVA series will still follow R2 or decide to retcon it somewhat because seeing the EU have an easy off screen defeat and with no major characters representing them really didn't do them any justice and I'll be looking forward to see when in season one did this series takes place.

If I remember correctly I believe the OVA is supposed to take place in the time gap between season 1 and R2.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Thats some impressive CG. For me, a lot of CG is ruined by how it moves. Like being to jerky or being to smooth. They seem to have got the movement spot on here. The actual aesthetics look very good as well. That battle in the forest looks particularly interesting with the shading and lighting choices they've made.
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
[expletive] CG. I hate it.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Getting off the CG thing that's most of this thread, I'd also like to say that from a story perspective I'm really excited about this, mostly because Kazuki Akane is directing, and he's like my favorite director ever. His stuff has a certain... feel to it that's hard to describe but very intense. From the short visuals in this trailer, it seems to have some of that. I decently liked Code Geass, and if Akane brings a lot of himself into this, I think it could easily be better than the main shows. I actually think Code Geass is kind of in need of someone like him and his style.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I went to the advanced screening yesterday in Ikebukuro and Shinjuku. Wrote spoilers on the Code Geass LJ community here if anyone interested.

For those who don't want to read spoilers, I'll just say that Boukoku no Akito was REALLY GOOD! And OMG the 2nd episode previewwwwwww!!!

I will have to watch this again when it officially comes out.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

So, does CG stand for computer graphics or Code Geass in this case? Just out of curiosity.

Galap wrote:
Getting off the CG thing that's most of this thread, I'd also like to say that from a story perspective I'm really excited about this, mostly because Kazuki Akane is directing, and he's like my favorite director ever. His stuff has a certain... feel to it that's hard to describe but very intense. From the short visuals in this trailer, it seems to have some of that. I decently liked Code Geass, and if Akane brings a lot of himself into this, I think it could easily be better than the main shows. I actually think Code Geass is kind of in need of someone like him and his style.

Yes, I've liked many of his works in the past and am also interested to see what he does with Code Geass. He's always shown a lot of showmanship in his work so I think he was a good choice for the job.
loube31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone explain to me please ; what does it mean the CGI ?
and how can you find out if this technique is used in a video ?
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
redranger wrote:

So, does CG stand for computer graphics or Code Geass in this case? Just out of curiosity.

Computer graphics of course. How can anyone hate Code Geass?
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
loube31 wrote:
Can anyone explain to me please ; what does it mean the CGI ?
and how can you find out if this technique is used in a video ?

Traditionally, animation is done by drawing, either on paper or on a computer touch tablet, the images. You have a series of pictures basically, which are sequenced and colored and cleaned up, becoming the animation you see. In this case, the artist, with great skill, must mentally figure out how objects will move, which is no simple feat because they must imagine how things will rotate and move in 3 dimensions. This is why moving backgrounds and rotations are not
extremely commonly used; they require a lot of time and skill to do.

Often, to avoid this, studios use CGI, or computer generated images, where an actual simulated 3d model is made in a computer and the computer calculates the perspective shifts of its rotation. This is much easier to do, as it does not require the extreme mental skill of keeping track of changing perspective. Many people (myself included) think that this takes some of the art out of it. I personally like to see those incredible times when extremely talented artists are capable of emulating convincing 3d motion and mass and momentum physics through pure imagination and drawing. The difference between CG and traditional animation is kind of like the difference between painting and photography. Both are arts, but one captures a little more of the skill and 'soul' of the artist.

As for how to recognize CG, well, Usually CG things look well, just different than the others. They rotate smoother and completely accurately, rather than being able to see how the artist actually did it. It's actually a lot like being able to tell the difference between a painting and a photograph.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The CG in Boukoku no Akito is very fluid and blends nicely with the rest of the animation. I was quite amazed by the quality of the battle scenes. They're not quite up to par with Gundam UC perhaps, but I would say they're close. Akito's piloting of his Knightmare Frame was pretty darned awesome.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
redranger wrote:

Computer graphics of course. How can anyone hate Code Geass?

I thought thats what you meant at first but then I wasn't sure. Unfortunately there's a lot of people that hate Code Geass with somewhat of a passion. Laughing
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
More Code Geass is no problem for me and I really like the footage shown although the CG Knightmare Frames will take getting use to.

I wonder if this OVA series will still follow R2 or decide to retcon it somewhat because seeing the EU have an easy off screen defeat and with no major characters representing them really didn't do them any justice and I'll be looking forward to see when in season one did this series takes place.

In between seasons actually.

It takes in Europe during the time skip.
Digimontamerfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
found it funny how no one made a mention of "that character", guess i'll be first, any theories on who it might be? my money is on lelouche or c2 since she never did get her wish.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Digimontamerfreak wrote:
found it funny how no one made a mention of "that character", guess i'll be first, any theories on who it might be? my money is on lelouche or c2 since she never did get her wish.

spoiler[It's Suzaku. C.C. also appears, but I am guessing she appears as part of a flashback of Reira's past since the illustrations during the credits show a young Reira standing in a lake with C.C.]

Again, for those interested, I've posted spoilers here.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I'll ditto a lot of that. I really liked Birdy the Might Decode (oh, for the third season... but it will never be) and even ANNCast punching bag Heat Guy J had plenty going for (in fairness, it was mocked for what Geneon paid for it, not its content). I haven't seen Noein[i] or [i]Vision of Escaflowne yet, but I want to. I can't honestly peg what I makes his work so appeal to me, but he can stage very effective, memorable scenes. (There's one scene in particular from the second half of Birdy the Mighty that I won't seen forget, or not unconsciously wince just thinking about)

The only thing that disappointed me about this trailer is that it didn't use the kickass jazz from the earlier ones. I hope that wasn't just a for the those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3