• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Also, yea I know AtLA is not Japanese Anime and some people are morally opposed to anything that is not Japanese Anime. However, some day you might want to give it a chance. It is without a doubt one of the best written and most emotionally engrossing animated series I have seen, with a (mostly) very well developed and appealing main cast.

I can't speak for Key, but as someone else who hasn't, and will not, watch AtlA, I just really don't give a good goddamn.

And I wish people would stop dragging it into these discussions.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Also, yea I know AtLA is not Japanese Anime and some people are morally opposed to anything that is not Japanese Anime. However, some day you might want to give it a chance. It is without a doubt one of the best written and most emotionally engrossing animated series I have seen, with a (mostly) very well developed and appealing main cast.

I can't speak for Key, but as someone else who hasn't, and will not, watch AtlA, I just really don't give a good goddamn.

And I wish people would stop dragging it into these discussions.

Well, gosh, Fencedude, thanks for your input. But I thought A:tLA was a really good series. I definitely think it is worth seeing for people who like anime. But, to each their own, whether they give a good goddamn or not. Also, note to self: make sure to reference Avatar more often.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well, yes there has been one episode since that one, but just consider this: Generally, there tends to be SOME foreboding of a villain's evil master plan before the villain comes in front of the audience and gloats to us all about exactly how he/she is going to take over the world. . . I think it probably would have been nice to see someone impacted by the villain's evil plan before Episode 17 (there were 2 episodes before it) just to give us a sense of the impending doom of his villainy

Asuna is only one of 300 people who didn't wake up + Sugou's behavior in Asuna's hospital room + Asuna spotted in a game = foreshadowing that it's all related and he's up to some evil scheme. And that was all in episode 15, I believe. (Or at least before Sugou's big reveal came up, in any case.) Granted, I didn't accurately predict what his master scheme was, but I at least got the sense that he had one.

Quote:
Again, without that it comes off as if his ultimate evil plan is just a back burner thing while he focuses on his Asuna fantasy, particularly since every episode up till now has had a general plot line of spoiler["Will Kirito save Asuna before the villain rapes and/or marries her comatose body? Also, Kirito's sister is stacked and has the hots for him."] Now, personally I think they have already dramatically weakened the sense of doom by stalling on any demonstration of his evil plan.

There's nothing immediately in-your-face about the evil plan, so why force the issue? Showing it in action now would involve introducing and developing new characters for the specific purpose of showing the impact that the evil plan has on them, and it's entirely possible that spoiler[Asuna is the only one of the 300 sleepers actually currently present and active in Alfheim Online, and she's only there because Sugou wants to interact with her.] Thus trying to show the evil plan in action right now would involve forcing the issue in some cheesy way that would doubtless draw complaints just as vociferous from the naysayers.

Also, remember that, while the perspective does shift, this is not a true "third person omniscient" story. We have always been seeing the story through the perspective of Kirito, Asuna, and/or Suguha; we have never known details or seen events beyond what these characters know and experience. Thus showing off the effects of the evil plan at this time would be inconsistent, especially since spoiler[Sugou is apparently entirely unaware that Kirito is in the game]. And for all the complaints that have been lodged about Asuna's portrayal, she has consistently been shown to be a fairly clever girl. She has to be fully aware that spoiler[the brainwashing plan could be applied to her whenever Sugou gets tired of her resistance] and that hanging over her head keeps the evil plan from ever completely going on the back burner.

Quote:
When SAO first came out, it seemed to be presenting itself as action/adventure/mystery/fantasy type stuff. This makes sense since it is based on an action focused MMORPG. The death trap aspect of it also added in a sense of survival (without the horror). I'm not sure how you felt like that was never what the show was really about.

.hack//SIGN - which is an indisputable predecessor to/model for SAO - started out pretty much the same way but ultimately proved to be much more about the people who play the game than the actual action/adventure component in the game. It still had occasional action/adventure scenes, but that was never really what the series focused on. Thus when this one started showing signs of going in that same direction, I was already kinda expecting it.

Quote:
Also, yea I know AtLA is not Japanese Anime and some people are morally opposed to anything that is not Japanese Anime.

Sorry, but you're way off-base here. Last week I saw Wreck-It Ralph in the theater and loved it. (And yes, that was before I knew that an AKB48 song played during the closing credits.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
spoiler[Sugou is apparently entirely unaware that Kirito is in the game].

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that above being a cartoonishly evil rapist, he's also a moron.

(though this is really just sloppy writing to prevent Kirito from undergoing any real difficulties at all)
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
there has been no reason for Sugou to suspect that Kirito would even try ALO.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
there has been no reason for Sugou to suspect that Kirito would even try ALO.

Yeah, because the hero of Sword Art Online was well known for being a week-kneed coward.

He should have at least set basic precautions.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
well, he did tell Asuna that he though Kazuto was pathetic. he also put that cage out in the open. if he figured no one would be able to get that high to take a crappy picture, that would somehow coincidentally find it's way to a bartender who happens to be friends with said pathetic teenager, then what makes you think he is genre savvy enough to place precautions?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
(though this is really just sloppy writing to prevent Kirito from undergoing any real difficulties at all)

Oh, would you get off it? Does it look like Kirito is not having any difficulties already in what he's doing? Even with skills already maxed out, it still takes a while to get a handle on the mechanics of a new game, learn the lay of the land, figure out how to solve a puzzle that's stumped people for a year and, contend with the built-in social problems of the setting, and have to do it all in what he believes is under a week. And all of that will be for naught if he can't figure out a way to deal with Sugou. Of course he's going to triumph in the end (this isn't a tragedy, after all, and there are two more written story arcs after this one), but I haven't exactly seen him breezing through everything flawlessly even in the earlier episodes.

EDIT: Oh, wait. I forgot that the fact that he's going to ultimately triumph in the end automatically marks him as a Gary Stu/wish fulfillment character. Silly me. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, I think you're entirely misunderstanding what's going on there. Pacifica is never portrayed as being all that bright; intuitive and socially adept, maybe, but definitely not bright, and that's a recurring characterization throughout the entire series. Besides, spoiler[the concepts being explained to her and her step-siblings - including about genetics and such - were utterly mind-blowing for someone coming from a Medieval-level technological background. Eirote made the comment at one point that Natalie had to explain it to her and the Beast Princess several times before they understood it, so any of the Casulls making sense of it all on the first or even second shot would have been a gross inconsistency. The repitition was entirely meant to demonstrate how far out of their league the humans were on comprehending the vast technology lost to them.] I have rewatched this series at least once a year since it first aired (it was the first TV series I ever saw entirely via fansubs, in fact) and have never gotten anything close to a "we're treating the audience like they're morons" vibe from it, nor has anyone else that I've ever talked to about the series.

You are arguing from a position of "well, it was complicated so they shouldn't have understood it even after the fourth time through". But this ignores Senes and Eirote dumbing it down for Pacifica. This ignores that even Raquel - the smartest of the siblings - couldn't understand it after so many repetitions. And this ignores the fact that say two of the four explanations could have been done off screen. Have a complicated one from Zefiris and Natalie to clue the viewer in the to Sci-Fi aspects and then later on have Senes and Eirote spell it out for Pacifica when she complains she doesn't fully understand it after so many times (of which we'd seen one).

It is never good when the viewers are so far ahead of the characters and yet the characters still need it explained to them three more times and still can't understand it after that. It's a waste of screentime for one. It also implies the the creators thought that this information needed to be hammered into the audience's brain. And it makes the characters look stupid. Pacifica isn't smart, true, but she's not stupid either. Not until even the super-simple Senes explanation failed to clue her in.

It amazes me how narrow-sighted you are. You think that because Scrapped Princess did it this way that means it was correct. You're so busy defending it you can't see how it could have handled this in a superior way. Same with Sword Art Online. The show handled the three hundred people one way and therefore you don't want to know how it could have been better handled. Writers often make mistakes and they usually take sub-optimum routes. Yet you trust in the writers so very, very much, even when opposing evidence is right there in front of you.

Key wrote:
Oh, would you get off it? Does it look like Kirito is not having any difficulties already in what he's doing? Even with skills already maxed out, it still takes a while to get a handle on the mechanics of a new game, learn the lay of the land, figure out how to solve a puzzle that's stumped people for a year and, contend with the built-in social problems of the setting, and have to do it all in what he believes is under a week.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

You are so busy defending the show that you miss how spoiler[Kirito has to do all these impossible things in one week. He's already become as fast a flyer as Leafa after one day, and Leafa said that no-one has been able to keep up with her till him. Sure he has trouble landing, but that was for comic relief, and in episode eighteen he's mastered landing too. Kirito has to solve a puzzle in one week that no-one has been able to solve in a year. He then has to take out an admin, a position basically analogous to God.]

You're defending him on the hilarious basis that he isn't superman (or a Gary Stu) because spoiler[it takes him a whole day to learn how to master flying to a level better than almost everyone else, and a whole week to solve an unsolvable puzzle and defeat a god.]

Keep the jokes coming Key, and while you're at it send me some popcorn.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
rather amusing how bent out of shape people become concerning this show.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
rather amusing how bent out of shape people become concerning this show.

I think it's more of a matter of people wanting other people to understand their position, and getting frustrated when it doesn't seem to be happening. When you see something and it seems crystal clear to you, but others can't see it (or won't admit to themselves that they see it)... that can be incredibly frustrating. And believe me, it's a frustration I know all too well.

I'm not saying that this is the situation with Key. I'm just saying that this is a possible reason for why some people (on whatever side of the argument) are getting bent out of shape.

I will say that once a show gets hit with a certain reputation, it has a tendency of being viewed with that lens from then on, whether it continues to deserve it or not. Kirito has been labelled as a Gary Stu by some people, and as a result even if he isn't actually being a Gary Stu at some particular point, people may still view him and his situtions from that viewpoint. The same thing with claims of bad writing: once it is applied, then from that point on the writing falls under greater scrutiny, and the benefit of doubt is often withheld when other shows would be given it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It amazes me how narrow-sighted you are. You think that because Scrapped Princess did it this way that means it was correct. You're so busy defending it you can't see how it could have handled this in a superior way. Same with Sword Art Online. The show handled the three hundred people one way and therefore you don't want to know how it could have been better handled. Writers often make mistakes and they usually take sub-optimum routes. Yet you trust in the writers so very, very much, even when opposing evidence is right there in front of you.

And you get so incredibly overzealous about trying to pick shows apart and make big deals of things that aren't actually a problem (or at least not a big problem) that I'm amazed that you can still enjoy anything anime-related. You don't even seem satisfied anymore when someone else is willing to admit that something has a minor problem - no, if that person doesn't see it like the major problem that you do, then it's not good enough. I have seen you do this repeatedly across multiple series threads, not just the ones in question here. You also have interesting interpretations of what constitutes "opposing evidence."

To be sure I wasn't forgetting anything, I rewatched the two episodes of SP in question. Your description of what happened there does not at all jive with what I saw. You make it sound like the Casulls are being told the exact same thing over and over again, but they aren't. The full truth comes out in bits and pieces over the course of two episodes. The only times that repetition happens are when the details are spoken in highly technical terms that the Casulls would have no basis for comprehending - in other words, exactly like I was originally claiming. There is not the slightest hint in either of those episode of the audience being talked down to, as you claim - and if you're still going to insist that that's the case, I want to hear what exact quotes and scenes you're using to support your case here.

This is a case where you're trying to make something out of nothing and you will not get away with it. I suggest you find a different argument where you actually have a leg to stand on.

Quote:
You are so busy defending the show that you miss how Kirito has to do all these impossible things in one week.

No, I'm wondering how he's going to accomplish all of that in one week, too, but I'm not so incredibly jaded that I can't enjoy the process of finding out.

See, what you and some of the other people who have ruthlessly slammed the series over this whole Gary Stu stuff don't seem to understand is that I (and I'm certain others) ultimately don't give a damn whether or not Kirito is a wish fulfillment character; I only bother to speak out on this because people like you are using this as one of the primary angles to label this series as an irredeemable piece of crap and imply (or, in your case, outright say) that people who don't think so have no sense of taste or ability to determine quality in anime. And that irritates me.

Quote:
You're defending him on the hilarious basis that he isn't superman (or a Gary Stu) because spoiler[it takes him a whole day to learn how to master flying to a level better than almost everyone else, and a whole week to solve an unsolvable puzzle and defeat a god.]

Yeah, talk to me again about this when you actually have more than a vague notion of what you're talking about.

Now, I'm going to be very busy for the next couple of days, so do not expect any quick responses to direct replies.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And you get so incredibly overzealous about trying to pick shows apart and make big deals of things that aren't actually a problem (or at least not a big problem) that I'm amazed that you can still enjoy anything anime-related.

Says the guy who made a big deal out of Usagi Drop's final two episodes.

And I enjoy lots of Anime. It's just that you don't hear about it as much as they stuff that I dislike. The best show this season is Bakuman 3, but I've written almost nothing on it. I complain about things I dislike far louder than I praise the things I love; so sue me.

Key wrote:
You don't even seem satisfied anymore when someone else is willing to admit that something has a minor problem - no, if that person doesn't see it like the major problem that you do, then it's not good enough. I have seen you do this repeatedly across multiple series threads, not just the ones in question here.

No, I want you to see it as a problem in the first place instead of defending it. I said that Scrapped Princess is still a good show after those two episodes, but you refuse to even acknowledge that it could have been better handled.

Key wrote:
You also have interesting interpretations of what constitutes "opposing evidence."

I'm saying that you don't consider any evidence that doesn't match your preconceptions, even if it is right there in front of you. Evidence being the show we all are actually watching.

Key wrote:
To be sure I wasn't forgetting anything, I rewatched the two episodes of SP in question. Your description of what happened there does not at all jive with what I saw. You make it sound like the Casulls are being told the exact same thing over and over again, but they aren't. The full truth comes out in bits and pieces over the course of two episodes. The only times that repetition happens are when the details are spoken in highly technical terms that the Casulls would have no basis for comprehending - in other words, exactly like I was originally claiming. There is not the slightest hint in either of those episode of the audience being talked down to, as you claim - and if you're still going to insist that that's the case, I want to hear what exact quotes and scenes you're using to support your case here.

Yeah, I'm still going to insist on that. Putting to one side the technical terms which these characters wouldn't be expected to know, none of the siblings even understood the general gist of it, not even when Senes put it very simply in episode thirteen around the 09:50 mark. Pacifica still thoughtspoiler[ demons and not humans had constructed the Skid at episode thirteen 15:34 mark.]

To have three exposition/infodumping scenes - the bridge (which has two bouts), the power core and the starry sky - in just an episode and a half is annoying as heck. Yes, new information is introduced each time, but old information is also repeated as well. And I still don't think that Pacifica understood what was going on. After all the careful foreshadowing it was painful to see the series do this. Obviously a lot of information to get across, but it was so clunky.

I was very disappointed with Senes and Eirote using those big technical words in the first place when they were explaining. I can understand the Dragoons using them - they aren't human, after all - but Senes and Eirote must have known how difficult it was to understand all of this since they went through the same process. So why they then explained it using such advanced terms I do not know. Perhaps they were showing off how much they knew, but while I could see Senes doing that Eirote doesn't strike me as the type. I know the real reason. The infodumps were aimed at the audience, not at the characters. For example,spoiler[ we know what "genetics" means, and we've heard of "aliens" before,] so the characters can use that word and we get clued in. But how did Senes and Eirote expect the Casulls to understand when they used such technical words?

Basically, there was a mix of simple explanations that the Casulls still couldn't understand and complex explanations aimed squarely at us and not the characters. Like I said before, very clunky.

Key wrote:
This is a case where you're trying to make something out of nothing and you will not get away with it. I suggest you find a different argument where you actually have a leg to stand on.

Oh wow, I'm soooo scared.

Key wrote:
No, I'm wondering how he's going to accomplish all of that in one week, too, but I'm not so incredibly jaded that I can't enjoy the process of finding out.

Missing the point, much? The fact that he is of course going to do all of this in a week is a problem in and of itself.

Key wrote:
See, what you and some of the other people who have ruthlessly slammed the series over this whole Gary Stu stuff don't seem to understand is that I (and I'm certain others) ultimately don't give a damn whether or not Kirito is a wish fulfillment character;

He's a wish-fulfilment character and he's written like one. That means a quality of writing found in the average fan-fic. Don't tell me you only care about the quality of a work when doing a review?

Key wrote:
I only bother to speak out on this because people like you are using this as one of the primary angles to label this series as an irredeemable piece of crap and imply (or, in your case, outright say) that people who don't think so have no sense of taste or ability to determine quality in anime. And that irritates me.

Did I say that regarding Sword Art Online and the people who watch it? Really? Where?

Key wrote:
Yeah, talk to me again about this when you actually have more than a vague notion of what you're talking about.

Need to work on your comeback there, that's pretty pathetic. Didn't address the point at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

No, I want you to see it as a problem in the first place instead of defending it. I said that Scrapped Princess is still a good show after those two episodes, but you refuse to even acknowledge that it could have been better handled.

Honestly, you're the first person I've ever seen complain about this. And I've had many, many Sutepri discussions in the (NINE?!) years since it aired.

The show certainly has its detractors, but you aren't to the part where most people have issues.

Now, I quite like the show, but its far from perfect.

Edit: Oh, and dtm, while you are watching shows from the dim recesses of my college days, try out Stellvia of the Universe.
stardf29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Really, though, it just comes down to the fact that I've liked what I've seen so far [of SAO] enough that I'm willing to overlook (most of) its flaws. It's still my top-priority view in any given week out of the 6/7 series I'm actively following.

And that's what it basically comes down to. Some people can ignore the flaws, others cannot, both people can co-exist in the world, and life moves on.

On a similar note...

My theory about stories (including anime) is that a lot of why a given person will like certain ones in particular is because something about those stories, beyond any "objective" quality it has, resonates with the individual. With that resonance, that person will completely fall in love with the show, and like a lover towards his/her beloved, can overlook all sorts of flaws with that story. At the same time, should a certain flaw run completely counter to the elements that resonated with him/her to start, that will likely turn that person's opinion of the story from love to hate very quickly! (On this note, I should mention that in no way does this case automatically disqualify someone from being able to review the story in question, as a good reviewer will be able to note the flaws and strengths of the show properly while maintaining their love and dedication to it.)

It is also possible for certain elements or flaws to trigger a negative resonance that completely turns a person off to a story (say, someone who absolutely cannot stand harems running into a harem show).

If, on the other hand, a story does not quite resonate with a given person either way, they will probably have one of two attitudes to the story. One will be a highly critical attitude, where perceived flaws are brought to the forefront of discussion, as many here are doing. Another is a more moderate attitude where flaws may have a notable effect on his/her opinion of the show but he/she will not completely write off the show.

It's that latter category where I am with SAO, really. I was never really hooked by the show, though I did enjoy it enough to add it to my follow list for the summer and for it to stay there. The flaws I saw dropped my rating for the show a couple of points and also dropped it from my fall follow list, albeit with plans to catch up later on. Ultimately, though, I just never cared that much about SAO in the first place, which to its benefit means I'm not going to care enough about its flaws for me to count the show as one of the worst ever.

On another note, Scrapped Princess is a very good show, albeit one that did not quite resonate as much with me as my 10/10 shows did. Stellvia, on the other hand, is not only a very good show, but also resonated with me enough to make my top 10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15