• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attn to Canadian TRSI customers: re Reserved for Your Order status

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
NOTE: MY ORIGINAL POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY SHAWNEK THAT CORRECTS A MISTAKEN ASSUMPTION ON MY PART:

There are certain conditions when an item that is listed as Reserved for Your Order in your Order Status online account can switch to "On Order from Manufacturer".

What are those conditions?

1) You've ordered an item that is dwindling in stock.

And

2) As part of your order, you've also ordered a pre-ordered item that won't be available for some time or a backordered item that TRSI is waiting to receive more of from the manufacturer. (Note: TRSI holds onto Canadian packages for extended periods rather than partially shipping them as items become available, because each Canadian package that a Canadian customer receives gets dinged with a $9.95 handling charge. This practice saves Canadian customers money.)

If you are, say, 1 of 10 people to order that item and your package is being delayed to wait for other items, those other 9 people (if their packages are ready) will get their copies first, naturally. Now if that last item that is reserved for your order turns out to be damaged then, of course, TRSI won't send it out to you. And if that title has gone OOP, that means TRSI won't be able to get you a replacement copy. This situation is fairly rare, but it can happen as the recent Bandai mess shows.

Anyway, here's the lesson for us Canadians (theoretically this could happen to an American customer too, but the fact that it is so much easier to partially ship an order to an American address makes it less likely to happen): if an item you really want springs a counter, make sure there are no pre-orders or "We'll get it for you!" items in your package. If you are trying to get the free shipping at $250, make sure everything else in your order is in stock because then your package will get sent quickly and that radically reduces your chances of disappointment.

Last edited by Blood- on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jon182

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the information, it's good to know, I just wish I knew ahead of time. I knew something was weird when items started showing up as out of stock.

Just a couple of questions. What happens if something goes out of stock and you fall under the $250 limit? Can you add to the order again, or are you just out of luck?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
My understanding is that you still get free shipping. If you voluntarily cancel an item, however, and that puts you below $250, I believe you then have to pay the shipping costs.

But yes, adding to an order, if you wish, is always an option, but that sometimes brings its own complications. I've altered orders in the past without incident but every now and then something can go screwy. These days, I try very, very hard not to alter an order once it's been made.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My understanding is that you still get free shipping. If you voluntarily cancel an item, however, and that puts you below $250, I believe you then have to pay the shipping costs.

But yes, adding to an order, if you wish, is always an option, but that sometimes brings its own complications. I've altered orders in the past without incident but every now and then something can go screwy. These days, I try very, very hard not to alter an order once it's been made.

You do get free shipping still. It's similar to how pre orders work. You won't be getting the same time you ordered it with other items though. Though do call them if you think there might be a issue with getting free shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's taken a long time but I finally figured something out and I'd like to pass it along to my fellow Canadian TRSI customers.

Here's the short version: under certain conditions, just because an item is listed as Reserved for Your Order in your Order Status online account, doesn't really mean it is actually reserved for your order.

What are those conditions?

1) You've ordered an item that is dwindling in stock.

And

2) As part of your order, you've also ordered a pre-ordered item that won't be available for some time or a backordered item that TRSI is waiting to receive more of from the manufacturer.

Here's what I believe happens:

The above isn't quite accurate, so I wanted to take the time to address this since it has been posted.

When an item is "reserved for your order" this means that we have a piece of this product that is specifically reserved for you. If we have an item with a counter, this is done so that we don't sell more than what is physically on the shelf.

Now, if we have 10 customers who have ordered the last 10 copies, what is going to happen is as these orders complete/are processed, items are going to come off the shelf one at a time. The only time that your "reserved" item would go from this status to an "on-order" status would be if the inventory was removed from the shelf, say if the item was damaged or unsellable. This is what appears to have happened here. As we got down to the last few copies, they were damaged and not of a quality we could ship.

Orders are allocated in date-in order. Another thing that might change your place in line is if the order is modified. This causes the datestamp of the order to change, thus moving you to the back of the line. In normal situations this should never be an issue, but if, for example, an item we were expecting from the manufacturer turns out to be oversold and no longer available, if you were at the front of the line and changed your order, you might lose your allocation of the product as you'd be at the end where there might not be enough stock to fill every open order. Although rare, I have certainly seen this happen.

I hate to disappoint any customer, and I understand the frustration to be sure. However, I did want to give specifics about how orders are handled to make things clear.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Jon182 wrote:
Thanks for the information, it's good to know, I just wish I knew ahead of time. I knew something was weird when items started showing up as out of stock.

Just a couple of questions. What happens if something goes out of stock and you fall under the $250 limit? Can you add to the order again, or are you just out of luck?

If this is due to issues on our side, we do not penalize the customer.
Jon182

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification Shawne. I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst. This Christmas shopping is somewhat stressful. I'm just glad I'm not doing this in person!

Thanks again to Blood for bringing up the issue. All but a few of the items I ordered should still be in print. As for the items that are OOP, I'm hoping that I don't get screwed, but I might have been reshuffled due to messing with my order a few times.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Jon182 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Shawne. I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst. This Christmas shopping is somewhat stressful. I'm just glad I'm not doing this in person!

Thanks again to Blood for bringing up the issue. All but a few of the items I ordered should still be in print. As for the items that are OOP, I'm hoping that I don't get screwed, but I might have been reshuffled due to messing with my order a few times.

Drop me a line with your issues and I will be happy to see what I can do to assist you. darklord (at) rightstuf.com
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
@ shawnek - thank you very much for your clarification and your personal telephone call to explain the situation to me. I now have a clearer understanding of what actually happens.

DVDs and BDs are relatively fragile items and given some of the packaging that distribs choose to use, it is not surprising at all that a certain amount of inventory is going to be damaged. Kudos to TRSI for identifying those items when possible and not sending them off. I'm not sure this is necessarily an industry-wide practice.

I apologize for posting a mistaken assumption rather than talking to you first, Shawne.

I think my warning to Canadians is still valid, however - if there is a low counter item that you covet, to be on the safe side, avoid adding any items that will slow down shipping of your package because otherwise your Reserved Item might turn out to be a damaged, in which case - understandably enough - it won't be shipped to you and there may not be any replacement copies to be had if the title has gone OOP. This is a relatively rare situation, but it does happen.
Jon182

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate your level of professionalism and customer service, thank you Shawne. I think everything will be fine, as is, according to the latest update from customer care.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I just want to underscore that point. I have had a ton of dealings with TRSI over the last four years and 99 per cent of the time everything goes smooth as silk. And even on those rare occasions that something has gone amiss, TRSI has never failed to provide me with a prompt response and an agreeable solution.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
If you're still around, Shawne, I've got a question regarding a similar matter.

I recently placed an order with you guys just the other day which included the Gao-Gai-Gar bundle set, which just recently ran out of stock. However, I included a note when I made the order to delay the shipment for about a week so that I could make sure I had the necessary funds to pay for it.

Do I run the risk of not get the set now, considering the fact that the order was "changed" (despite the fact that I made the request when I first placed it)?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
If you're still around, Shawne, I've got a question regarding a similar matter.

I recently placed an order with you guys just the other day which included the Gao-Gai-Gar bundle set, which just recently ran out of stock. However, I included a note when I made the order to delay the shipment for about a week so that I could make sure I had the necessary funds to pay for it.

Do I run the risk of not get the set now, considering the fact that the order was "changed" (despite the fact that I made the request when I first placed it)?

I don't think so, since you didn't actually modify the order, it was just put on hold. If you want to email me details at darklord (at) rightstuf.com I will be happy to check on it for you if you'd like.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
@Shawnek

I have a question about making an order. Say I wanted to order a few things from the Christmas sale, but also pre-order Natsume's book of Friends Season 3 (which comes out in March). Would the Christmas sale prices stay in effect until my order was ready to ship? Would the items I ordered stay reserved for me? I wanted to make an order with a couple things (No. 6 BD, Broken Blade BD, ROD BD - this one especially since it has a counter), but I also wanted to include Natsume in the same order. Thanks!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I can actually answer that one, jmfsilenthill: if you order stuff from the Christmas sale and add in the Natsume 3 pre-order, yes the sale prices stay in effect. But, as I mentioned in my posts above, you run a little bit of a risk on any item that has a counter on it. And the risk is this: because your package won't ship until sometime in March, other people who ordered that same item and got the reserved status will likely receive their items before you will. So if TRSI is down to its last two copies of that item and both of those copies happen to be defective/damaged, then your "reserved for your order" status will switch to "on order from the manufacturer" status. And if TRSI never receives any more copies from the manufacturer, then eventually your status will change to "cancelled."

That's why I recommend to Canadians NOT to add any items to their package that will cause it to be held up for an extended period IF there is an item that is low in stock AND which is unlikely to get restocked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2