• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Huzzah! We have reached the level of 200 pages! *sets off confetti popper*

If we manage to get to 300 we will get to use those small fireworks that shoot sparks.

And yes, I was counting the posts to try and post first on the page.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Damnit. I was going to do that.

/me lights a celebratory snake.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
I would take the three-thousandth post (which is far cooler than the first post on the second-hundred page), but I have a feeling by the time I wake up tomorrow someone would have already snaffled it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And Ingram: You seem to be utterly missing the point that not everyone thinks like you do about the series.

Almost got the name right! ;p

I'm not missing the point. It's got decent animation and a lot of visually-interesting characters, but the plot and main characters are mostly boring (well, that's not quite right, but I can't think of a better word at the moment) to me. Obviously, I'm wrong, though, because it's also easy to see that many people don't feel as I do by looking at the various projections for sales of SAO BDs.

Or were you responding to some other element of my previous post?
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Things like "We rarely get to see him struggle to do anything." are a matter of opinion.

It still is a matter of context, but it hardly matters since everything is just hunky-dory, right? Let's be honest, Asuna isn't going to be raped and Kirito is going to pull another something out of his ass or some other Deus Ex Machina is going to give him the power to save the day. It is going to be awesome!sauce and we all know it. The thing is, Kirito has had to face very few consequences for his actions. It's boring, because it is the same thing over and over. Sure, we get a bone, once, but it was too little, too late (not to mention featured him doing the same-ol badassery the very next episode). Struggle against Eugene? Don't make me laugh. Stats through a glitch, hidden powers carrying over, yada yada. It isn't just a once or twice thing that makes it bad... It is the cumulative sum. Once you see how lopsided the story is at times, you start to wonder what is the point? You have these great settings and premises, but you end up wasting them by loading up on crowd-pleasing, wish-fulfillment tropes.

Like I said, I've seen some attempts to improve in the latest episodes, but overall it comes off as a glorified MMORPG otaku circle-jerk.

GrayArchon wrote:
they opted to take a fairly credible shot at doing "show, don't tell".

The hell they have! It's more like Don't Show, Don't Ask, Don't Tell. The sloppiness of the adaption shines like white-hot sun. I would almost *rather* have infodumps or something to fill in the numerous plot holes that they only manged to add to. They have rushed/skipped through good information that could have been shown, while spending inordinate amounts of time focusing on trivial details like the idiot little sister's incest fantasy. Yeah, good job on that A-1.

And while we're at it, someone at SME/Aniplex/A-1 needs to be fired for taking on too many projects at once. I noticed that the quality in Fairy Tail, SSY, and Magi have all suffered greatly as the season has worn on. Hell, even this show is getting the still scene treatment more and more. Fairy Tail was especially bad this week. Feels bad, man. Crying or Very sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
I think I might complain too. [SPOILERS FROM 1-23]

You know what I can't stand about Kirito, it is the fact he has failed so many times. He is a majoy player in beating the first boss, he becomes infamous. He starts playing in a guild, they all die becaus he could not warn them or get a super power up, and he could not bring one girl back. He saves a young girl from a monster, but he couldn't run in fast enough to prevent her pet from dyeing, any shounen hero would have got there faster. He goes with a Blacksmith to get materials, and in the battle ends up stuck inside the nest all night. He tries to do a duel to free the girl he likes from her guild, and instead of winning like a hero, he loses, and this was also around that time he starts whining like a wussy becaus he has seen people die, like what the hell.

And when he gets into the guild he falls right into a trap by some guy who was tottally evil, and it was not like he was able to suddenly break through and suddenly beat the villain from his will, he has his love interst save his back. Could you imagine the love interest saveing the hero? But they try to make it okay by haveing him do the final hit becaus she freezed up from having to kill a guy, what kind of 16 year old is like that. And when his is in the another dungeon he comes across an enemies who is apparently unbeatable, that never stopped Goku, and then he gets saved by the little girl apparently being some sort of robot, that is way to convenient for an anime plot. And then when he fishes up some sort of monster, a job he was chosen for his strength, he does not even kill the monster instead his love interest does, what a wuss.

When they join in for a big fight against a boss he actually has a bunch of the team mates die, and he was as usefull as his girlfriend and some old dude in the fight, he could not even stop lots of the deaths or see it comming faster. And afterwards he fights the big bad becaus who turns out to be the old dude, where did that come from, they could have at least gave some foreshadowing that he had special abbilities, or at least have some position that was likely to have the villain hide in. Hero does not even win the fair fight, instead he has one of the hits stopped by his girlfriend who broke loose and then he gets some cheap hit in becaus he does not dissapear as wuick as he was supposed to. The excuse for him not dissapearing somehow is that he used his will to keep him going, tell me one anime where a character keeps going purely on will?

Next he is back in the real world, but his girlfriend is not even, like what the point of showing them all lovey if she is just going to be in another castle. And then he gets into some real dual with his sister, and despite the fact he did lots of rehab, has so much experience in sword fighting, and even says that the sword is lighter than he expected still loses, what the hell. And that is not all, but he totally does not realise that she has the hots for him, what kind of an anime hero is like that, he ends up making her really upset becaus she tried to follow social expectations and give up on him only for him really to make things worse. What a loser.

And inside the other game he likes takes on the best fighter and wins, what kind of anime hero can take on best fighters. The love interest somehow ends up getting lose somehow, since when could she do things herself, it was like she showed some intelligence in figuring out that she could use a mirror to bypass the censors of the keypad. And when he takes on some big tree later he can't even win, he ends up having to be saved by the other girl to prevent what would count as a grave injurey, what kind of hero goes like that. And in a second attempt he does a little better, but is still not going to make it, and some how back up comes out of nowhere, what kind of convenience is that, at least they could have had some line that they would get to the tree to help him.

Sorry but if I want to feel some sort of awesome hero I am going to watch DBZ, Bleach or Naruto. It isn't just a once or twice thing that makes it bad... It is the cumulative sum.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
You know, if you're going to do something like that and ignore all the actual evidence about why Kirito is overly-blessed with power and luck - even by Shounen standards - and why Asuna has been poorly handled throughout the show then I say you wasted your time writing that long post.

And heck, you could at least have made it funny.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
It is meant to be ironic, kind of like watching Inglourious Basterds.

And if others are going to do something like they have and ignore all the actual evidence about how Kirito is not some perfect fantasy compared to others - even by Shounen standards - and why Asuna has not been as poorly handled throughout the show then I say they wasted your time writing all those posts.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
you slipped back and forth between decent and KLAC levels of grammar during that ironic rant
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

If we manage to get to 300 we will get to use those small fireworks that shoot sparks.

Aha cute victory pic is cute. Anime hyper
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely is. Except that both of them benefit in some way by what she's doing there, so I don't know how clear cut the victory is. Anime catgrin
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
If a cute chick is sitting on your shoulders, it's never a true "victory" pic if you are both facing in the same direction.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Aha cute victory pic is cute. Anime hyper

Le reverse pussy lucozade
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24:

Wow, I can just see the bitchstorm coming on this one, so let me see if I can head off a couple of the complaints before they bog this thread down for a dozen needless pages:

1. Yes, Yui does some things that seem to step beyond any logic established by animated content. I don't see that as even being a debatable point, so let's not.

2. Yes, Sugou/Oberon is so far over-the-top in his behavior that it achieves the level of absurdity. (And wow, that thing about spoiler[even duplicating Asuna's scent] was pretty sick.) Do we really need to waste time discussing that?

3. Yes, the end of this episode doesn't resolve anything about the other 300. Please wait until we see next episode before complaining about this being a plot hole, as I suspect that this will be dealt with. And I sincerely hope that no one is going to try to complain that such a thing should have been the first thing on Kirito's mind when he logged out.

And yes, the climactic confrontation had its issues, but I don't think the label "deus ex machina" can accurately be applied to it because precedence for it has been established. spoiler[It was quite clear at the beginning that someone - likely Kayaba - was giving Kirito a helpful nudge, and I think it's quite reasonable to interpret the scene where Kayaba appears to Kirito while he's skewered as also including Kayaba giving Kirito his ultimate personal login info. (Contrary to what I speculated earlier, I now have to wonder if Kayaba didn't give Kirito the assist because he saw himself as playing God in a classic fantasy "rescue the princess" scenario.)] Now, the whole business with spoiler[Kirito being able to stand up] is a problem, I'll admit, but I'll tolerate it for dramatic effect.

And at least no one should be complaining about spoiler[Sugou not getting his just desserts in-game. Wow, that was about as ruthless as you ever see a clean-cut hero getting.]

Also, being over-the-top aside, I did fit it interesting that Sugou was spoiler[insanely jealous of Kayaba.]

And as much as there's a lot to complain about concerning the first 16 minutes, I did very much like how the last seven or so minutes were handled. That was a good way to complete the storyline, and I am eager to see how the last episode wraps things up, especially given its title.

And now let the bitching commence. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
1. Yes, Yui does some things that seem to step beyond any logic established by animated content. I don't see that as even being a debatable point, so let's not.

Last episode, Yui copies some code that lets her open an administratively locked door. This episode, Yui opens more doors. All throughout the arc, Yui detects things, including players, including their location and whether or not they're approaching. This episode Yui detects Asuna's location and something approaching them.

I'm not seeing the problem on Yui's end here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 200 of 274