• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Easter eggs (i.e. a sock puppet vs. Chris Patton)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesjmiller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
Last night my roommate and I were watching Madlax vol. 6 and she stumbled upon an elaborate easter egg. It was a live video of sock puppet versions of Madlax characters in the ADV building. Sock Madlax was assigned to kill voice actor Chris Patton (the person, not a sock version.) It wasn't all that funny, albeit true that watching Chris Patton say ridiculous and crude things to random women and a sock had its moments.

I went online to see if this was common, and how to find it again, and noticed that quite a few anime releases have them, from Spirited Away to Exel Saga, to a different sock puppet show on, interestingly enough, Noir vol. 6.

Someone posted a topic looking for info on any websites that handle anime easter eggs last year. There wasn't much response. Animeondvd has some listed, but by no mean all of them.

I'm starting this topic in hopes that a handful of people will share what easter eggs they know of. Including that Madlax disc 6 egg.
Zork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
The Noir Easter Egg was mentioned in one of the latest issues of Anime Insider.

I wish they would list more Easter Eggs.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
Hunh. I hadn't heard about the Madlax 6 Easter Egg yet. How did you find it?

The Noir one I have seen. It's absolutely hilarious.

And it's probably not a coincidence that it's on the same volume #, since Madlax is from the same company and isn't far from being the same series. (Hmmm, wonder if that means it's in the same place on the DVD and accessed the same way. Will have to check that out. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote
This site claims to have the most comprehensive list of Easter eggs. It doesn't have the Madlax one though, and it could really do with a listing by category as well...
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hunh. I hadn't heard about the Madlax 6 Easter Egg yet. How did you find it?

During the second eyecatch (bumper) of Episode 21, press Up, Down, Left, and Right on your remote to access the sock puppet show. You have to do this quickly because the eyecatch lasts a few seconds.

I was first aware of this when it was posted on Jessica Boone's fan club, and we discussed it in lengthover at the Anime on DVD community. The sock puppet show was indeed hilarious; I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard at anything. Jessica's reaction was the funniest: Her cold intensity and "colorful" comments about Chris Patton were done to perfection. Hilary Haag "taking one for the team" and Chris P. spoiler[ french-kissing with Sock Margaret and "flirting" with Blake Shepard at the end of the show] were also hilarious. Give credit to Chris P. and the rest of the ADV gang for pulling this off; they did a fabulous job! Razz
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
jamesjmiller wrote:
I'm starting this topic in hopes that a handful of people will share what easter eggs they know of. Including that Madlax disc 6 egg.

Some Easter Eggs were posted on this thread from last year, so you can look at these if you want.
jamesjmiller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some Easter Eggs were posted on this thread from last year, so you can look at these if you want.

Thank you, biliano. I look forward to reading through those threads. A few days ago I did so many searches for that Madlax easter egg and found nothing, yet there it is.

And while I searched I found a bunch of other eggs I would have never thought existed. So I still think having having as many of them compiled in one place would be a nice thing, though. Part of me thinks it's even encyclopedia worthy, though their relevance to that may be questionable.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
jamesjmiller wrote:
Thank you, biliano. I look forward to reading through those threads. A few days ago I did so many searches for that Madlax easter egg and found nothing, yet there it is.

No problem, my friend.

jamesjmiller wrote:
And while I searched I found a bunch of other eggs I would have never thought existed. So I still think having having as many of them compiled in one place would be a nice thing, though. Part of me thinks it's even encyclopedia worthy, though their relevance to that may be questionable.

Come to think of it, it would be a good idea to make a Sticky thread listing Easter Eggs from various DVDs, but that's up to the mods.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote
There's a simpler way to do it. The Encyclopedia entries on ANN have an option for "Trivia," where you can put down pretty much any interesting factoids that have to do with the title. That would be an excellent place to put Easter Egg notations, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I couldn't spot that Sprited Away easter egg til now, it was really easy too! Whoever finds these things must have no life though. Finding them through clicking arrows on the menus, understandable but who actually watches the show and clicks around randomly?
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There's a simpler way to do it. The Encyclopedia entries on ANN have an option for "Trivia," where you can put down pretty much any interesting factoids that have to do with the title. That would be an excellent place to put Easter Egg notations, too.

That's a good suggestion, but I don't think the Encyclopedists will allow it. The Trivia section is used to enter small miscellaneous facts about a particular anime, as in this Rurouni Kenshin example. Using the Trivia section to list Easter Eggs won't sit well with Dan42, areaseven, dormcat, and the others. They're very strict about what should be entered in the Trivia section, you know. Wink
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
No easter eggs under trivia. see my response here
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1