• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Taichi Mashima, Chihayafuru

Great to see this show get mentioned in the tournament!

Nominating:

Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss

Who she is: A dutiful high school student who pushes herself academically not for her own sake but for her mother's. She finds little meaning in her life and has no ambitions of her own, until she meets a group of fashion students who create clothing together under the label "Paradise Kiss."

How she improves: After agreeing to be their model for a school fashion show competition, Yukari finds herself discovering a myriad of new things, about fashion, about love, and about herself. She goes from being the stereotypical over-stressed Japanese high school student who just goes along with the flow to becoming a young woman who knows what she wants and takes the steps needed to achieve it.

Picture
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why this person hasn't been nominated yet, maybe because many seasoned anime veterans look at long running shonen series with much disgust. Nonetheless I believe this person belongs here, because atleast his improvement is undeniably amazing.

Nomination:

Uzumaki Naruto, Naruto / Naruto Shippuuden

Who he is: Naruto is a ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village. Villagers look at Naruto with much suspicion because a powerful demon fox is sealed within him. This powerful demon fox attacked the village years ago and caused major damage to the village. The mistrust and suspicion surrounding Naruto shapes his personality so that he has a difficulty trusting anyone and the villagers and fellow ninjas look at him as a annoying prankster.

How he improves: Naruto eventually gains the trust of the villagers and becomes the villages hero. He matures from an annoying loud brat into a very determined and powerful ninja that everyone looks up to.

Picture

Last edited by Cam0 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
Well, the fact that it's only been a day since nominations started probably has to do with it, plus of course the fact that yesterday was sort of a major holiday for a good amount of people. There's lots of deserving characters who haven't yet been nominated yet, it's far too early to start crying foul. Especially when there are two Inuyasha characters who have been nominated.

That said, I have never seen Naruto (or Inuyasha) so I can't second the vote but I'm sure someone else will.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'll vote for Naruto.

But yeah, Christmas and all. Plus I'm sure there's a fair amount of people who are too lazy to write up a big blurb to nominate some one. If it was set so we could just list off nominations I'm sure we'd get more.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'll vote for Naruto.

I'm halfway tempted to nominate (manga)spoiler[Kyuubi(Kurama)] from Naruto, but I wonder if that would be trolling?

For now, Supporting (with comments to appease TonyK):

1. Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha) - although I believe it was hidden all along, the improvement in attitude was welcome (Inuyasha's still a brat at the end).
  2. Taichi (Chihayafuru) - this guy's attitude readjustment (especially with Karuta becoming more than a means) was also most welcome.
  3. Naruto (Naruto) - they say suffering leads to enlightenment, it goes without saying, this guy has been through hell (to be fair, Gaara is also improved).
  4. Madoka (PMMM) - I agree, more enlightenment through suffering, but I wonder if a certain other character improved even more?

Last edited by dragon695 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I'm halfway tempted to nominate (manga)spoiler[Kyuubi(Kurama)] from Naruto, but I wonder if that would be trolling?

Well since this is in the anime forum I'd imagine stuff in mangas don't count. That's why I'm not nominating Eve from Black Cat.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Well since this is in the anime forum I'd imagine stuff in mangas don't count. That's why I'm not nominating Eve from Black Cat.

Yeah, I've put off watching the anime until the manga ends, so I wasn't sure if it had caught up to that part. Thanks for the clarification. Anime smile
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Soichiro Arima, His and Her Circumstances
Who He Is: Arima is a high school student who is perfect in everything: he is first in his class, always polite, and the kendo national champion. He meets Yukino, a classmate who is also perfect in everything, but he discovers that her politeness and outstanding grades are all an act to boost her ego. Seeing Yukino as a 'fake' enlightens him to his own 'fake' behavior as the two begin a relationship.

How He Improves: Arima's parents were the disgrace of his family and abandoned him, and Arima is terrified he will become like them, so he put on an act of perfection. Before Arima met Yukino, he didn't even consciously realize that he was a 'fake', but seeing her behavior made him aware of his own. To become happier and emotionally healthier people, he strives with Yukino to drop the act and develop real and caring relationships.
Picture
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:

Tsume
Eva Heinemann
Scar
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If it was set so we could just list off nominations I'm sure we'd get more.

It used to be this way but the current set-up works much better, since it means there is a guide entry for use in the tournament itself, something that used to be hard to get previously. But there's lots of time left and I think the best way is to try and pace yourself, which is why all my nominations have been done 1 or 2 at a time. I still have about 5 characters left I'm considering and more might come to mind as things continue.

There have also been points in previous nominations where people have mentioned characters they want to get nominated and someone does get around to writing the official nomination up but it's still pretty early for that. This is especially helpful if there's someone you think might fit the criteria but is a character you are not as familiar with as you would like to be to either make the final call or write the actual nomination.

The point being that it is far too early to be crying foul about a character not being included. Heck, I'm sure we've had characters get overlooked for awhile in nominations who later did quite well in the tournament.

Also, manga-only material is indeed excluded from the tournament. Which I admit will make things interesting for me when it comes to xxxHolic, since I'll have to remind myself exactly what material was covered in the anime, though the Kei season definitely did have a good portion of the meatier bits Razz
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm still thinking about whether I should or should not participate in this tournament; I don't know if my incoming workload will allow me to participate. I don't want to participate and end up dropping out of the tournament halfway through. . .

I may attempt writing nominations for Haruyuki (Silver Crow) from Accel World when I get home later tonight if no one else gets to it; I have a couple of other characters in mind but, at this moment, their names escape me. I don't remember much about Homura during the initial episodes of Madoka Magica but episode 10 is huge in her development so I may attempt to write a nomination for her, too.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Nomination

Fakir, Princess Tutu

Who the character is: Fakir is the closest companion of Mytho the Prince. Mytho has lost his emotions in the story written by Drosslemeyer - a story that all the characters seem destined to act out. Fakir, as a descendent of Drosselmeyer, must learn to use his latent writing powers to change the outcome of the story.

How the character improves: Initially Fakir is extremely possessive and domineering towards Mytho. He controls every aspect of Mytho's life to the point of cruelty. He treats anyone, including Duck and Rue, who try to get close to Mytho with offhand scorn and bitterness. He also harbours intense feelings of inadequacy thanks to a childhood attack by a raven that left him him with the self-image of a failed knight who could not save his family and who cannot help Mytho. With the help of Duck he regains his self belief, rediscovers his writing arts, becomes the central male hero of the series, demonstrates perhaps the most extraordinary example of pure, unconditional love I've ever seen in anime, and wins the admiration of viewers in the process.

Picture

Supporting

Eva Heinemann, Monster
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Nishi, Mind Game
Satou, Welcome to the NHK
Taiga, Toradora!

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Supporting

Fakir (Princess Tutu) I can't believe I didn't think about him! ALL OF THE SUPPORT!
Scar (FMA:B)
Naruto (Naruto)
Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal )
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Voting for

Fakir, Princess Tutu

Another on my list! And hey, while we're at it, how about this one ...

Nominating:

Mytho, Princess Tutu

Who he is: The noble and kind Prince and protagonist of Drosselmeyer's story "The Prince and the Raven". He sacrificed himself to protect the weak and needy by shattering his own heart to seal away the monstrous Raven. He possesses no emotions, and is largely dependent on his roommate and childhood friend Fakir for his well-being and survival.

How he improves: For obvious, plot-driven reasons, Mytho is pretty much a blank slate through the majority of the first half of Princess Tutu. And while this does lead to an interesting story, it doesn't really make for an interesting character. However, as more and more of Mytho's heart is returned to him, he regains not only his emotions but his personality as well, helping him become not only a the hero he was meant to be once more but also a character who is fully-developed and enjoyable to watch.

Picture

... And I suddenly have the need to rewatch the Hold Me Now AMV.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll Vote For:
Hikaru (Hikaru no Go)
Taichi (Chihayafuru)
Fakir (Princess Tutu)
Yukari (Paradise Kiss)

I almost want to vote for Watanuki, but I haven't seen the anime all the way through, so I don't know how much of the manga it covers/how much it differs from the source. :/ His development in the manga is really great, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28