• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I agree that with nominations trying to be vague about specifics is probably the best and that's the approach I have been taking. Admittedly, at this stage, it probably doesn't matter as much but when the tournament starts, these nominations will be used to help people who haven't seen the show decide on their votes, since many will be casting votes for characters they are not personally familiar with.

Anyway, I will also be voting for

Rue, Princess Tutu
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
VOTING FOR:
{male}
Fakir (Princess Tutu)
Shinichi Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)
Kimihiro Watanuki (xxxHolic)
Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist)

{female}
Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat!)
Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka (Paradise Kiss)
Youko Nakajima (The Twelve Kingdoms)
Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon)
Rue (Princess Tutu)

NOMINATING: (for now, might add more later)
Tamaki Kawazoe (Bamboo Blade) Photo
Who She Is: She is a kendo prodigy and a fan of Blade Braver. At the start of the series, she is a first year attending Muroe High School then eventually joins the kendo club. She is soft spoken in public yet fierce when in the middle of "battle".

How She Improves: At the beginning of the series, Tamaki views kendo a either a chore or a way to bring evil to justice. Whenever she partakes in a match, she always comes out on top; never taking the match personally. Throughout the series, Tamaki meets more worthy opponents, grows out of her comfort zone, and becomes more aware of how she values the sport and being part of a team.

Julian Mintz (Legend of the Galactic Heroes) Photo
Who He Is: The 'protégé' of the infamous Yang Wen-li and a solider for the Free Planets Alliance. He was an orphan who went to live with his mentor. He joins the 13th Fleet at the age of 16 and, only a few years later, becomes Sub-Lieutenant.
How He Improves: While he is fairly well-educated and mild manner young man, Julian comes off more as a follower than a leader. He rarely took risks and preferred to stay in close proximity of his mentor. As the series progresses, he is placed into situations where he must fend for himself and think on his feet. Near the end of the series, Julian proves to be a very competent strategist and fairly well-versed in diplomacy.

VOTING AGAINST:
Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha):
Near the end of the TV series, I didn't see any improvement in Seeshoumaru's behavior towards other people, including his brother Inuyasha or his friends. Unless there was something to be gained, he will ignore when others are in danger or use his weapons on others to test its strength spoiler[(ex. Tenseiga on Rin)] .

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305--
Um, is it not the case that that "no" votes have to be explained? I do not believe that that "yes" votes have to be explained.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Keichitsu0305--
Um, is it not the case that that "no" votes have to be explained? I do not believe that that "yes" votes have to be explained.

Well yeah the rule 8 (or Key) says:

Key wrote:
8. Votes in favor can be justified but don't have to be. Votes against must be justified or they will not be counted

So basically Keichitsu0305 your vote against Sesshoumaru will not be counted unless you explain why you're voting against him/her. But you know Key is the judge here so he can clarify if I'm wrong.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

So basically Keichitsu0305 your vote against Sesshoumaru will not be counted unless you explain why you're voting against him/her. But you know Key is the judge here so he can clarify if I'm wrong.

I understand; I'll add this to my post as well.
I am voting against Sesshoumaru because of two reasons:
A. I can presume we are counting only the original TV series and not the movies or the Final Act. From what I've seen, he starts as a self-center, powerful demon and ends as a self-centered, powerful demon.

B. Near the end of the TV series, I didn't see any improvement in Seeshoumaru's behavior towards other people, including his brother Inuyasha or his friends; unless, there was something to be gained. While one may argue that the inclusion of Rin gives him a sense of sympathy, he is still in the mindset that being a full-fledged demon makes him superior towards others. In one arc, when Rin is kidnapped, Sesshoumaru simply ignores this and only fights Naraku because Inuyasha, who wields the Tessaiga, is there.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Opposing:
Soichiro Arima (His and Her Circumstances)- While Yukino is certainly deserving of her spot for this tournament, I can't say the same for Arima. Going by the anime towards its end, Arima is still haunted by his past as he still seems to be putting on somewhat of a facade in front of others, including Yukino. Worst yet, he is becoming increasingly possessive of Yukino by that point as spoiler[he shows his dark side to Tonami when Arima becomes jealous of the closeness that the boy develops with Yukino.]
It's true at the end of the anime he spoiler[is becoming possessive of Yukino], but I view this as a 3 steps forward, 1 step back kind of thing. He was terrified of disappointing his aunt and uncle who took him in, so he was putting on a facade of being a perfect child. But in episode 7 when Yukino and Arima stand up for their relationship, Arima's aunt and uncle support their decision so that particular worry is put to rest. He does become insecure about his relationship with Yukino near the end spoiler[and it is never resolved in the anime], but the facade he puts up for her is different than the 'fake' he was before.
Arima certainly doesn't improve as much as Yukino does, but by the end of the anime he has come quite a ways from where he was at the start. He isn't the strongest entry but I think he deserves to be nominated.

NOMINATING:

Piccolo Jr., Dragonball Z
Who He Is: Piccolo Jr. is the son of the evil King Piccolo. King Piccolo was killed by Goku, and so Piccolo plans to avenge his father and follow in his footsteps of world domination. When a threat to the entire Earth shows up in the form of Raditz (an alien Saiyan coming to conquer the planet), Goku and Piccolo form an uneasy alliance to take them down. Raditz is defeated, but Goku dies in the fight and 2 even stronger Saiyans are on the way. Knowing he can't beat the Saiyans alone, Piccolo kidnaps Gohan, Goku's son, to train him for the fight to come.
How He Improves: Piccolo starts out very self-involved; all he cares about is proving himself as the strongest person on the planet and considers humans as inferior beings. When Goku and Piccolo fight Raditz, Piccolo is more than happy to kill Goku along with Raditz. But training young Gohan slowly changes him, and he ends up sacrificing himself for Gohan in the fight against the Saiyans. After he is resurrected via the Dragonballs, he comes to respect Goku and Vegeta and realizes the emptiness in trying to conquer Earth.
Picture

VOTING FOR:
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Mytho, Princess Tutu
Yuu Gotou, Noein
Kyoko, Skip Beat
Rue, Princess Tutu
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I might do a nomination later on but right now...

I'll vote for:

Tsume, Wolf's Rain
Eva Heinemann, Monster
Saber, Fate Stay Night
Rika Nonaka/ Makino, Digimon Tamers
Taiga, Toradora!
Haruyuki Arita (Silver Crow), Accel World
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!

Sounds like an interesting tournament so far tbh and I see some great nominations especially some of the old school characters like Rika from Digimon Tamers and Eva from Monster. Some of the newer characters like Arita also deserves their highlights so I decided to vote for them this time around. Other than that, it's nice to see some of great nominations going around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Here's another nomination.

Nominating

Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum
Who she is: A high school girl who follows the entries of her dead sister’s diary in order to replace her sister as she believes doing so will bring her broken family back together. At the start of the series she is stalking the Takakura brother’s teacher in order to follow her sister’s entries.
How she improves: Throughout the series, Ringo matures as an individual and becomes much more selfless. She goes from conducting wacky schemes to get the attention of Tabuki for herself, to actively working to better the situations of others around her. She no longer focuses of fixing the past in relation to her sister’s death, but progresses to caring about not only herself and helping to make a better future for others. Her friendship with Shouma, her willingness to forgive, and her desire to help Himari get back to health are prime examples of her new found resolve. In one specific example, she endures the physical pain inflicted on her by another character in order to hold on to and protect the tiniest bit of hope that she can help change Himari’s fate and bring her back to health.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110714220223/penguindrum/images/c/cb/Ringo2.jpg

Supporting
Piccolo Jr (DBZ)
Tamaki (Bamboo Blade)

Last edited by rosebrook11 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Supporting/Voting for:

Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka (Paradise Kiss)
Saber, (Fate/Stay Night)
Piccolo Jr, (DBZ)
Tamaki, (Bamboo Blade)
Kenshin Himura, (Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal)
Naruto, (Naruto)
Taiga, (Toradora!)
Satou, (Welcome to the NHK)
Mima Kirigoe, (Perfect Blue)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
Supporting:
-Piccolo Jr. (Dragon Ball Z)- Was actually thinking about nominating him.
-Tamaki Kawazoe (Bamboo Blade)

Nominating:

Eureka, Eureka 7
Who She Is: Eureka is a pale young girl who is the pilot of the mecha Nirvash Type-Zero and a member of Gekkostate, an anti-government military group and counterculture movement. She encounters a boy her age named Renton Thurston when she crash lands into his house with Nirvash. When Renton joins Gekkostate, Eureka finds things in her life changing significantly thanks to the boy as he has fallen in love at first sight with her and improves in his ability to control Nirvash throughout the course of the series.
How She Improves: Eureka starts off as a seemingly distant character who is awkward in her interactions with other people as she has difficulty comprehending the emotions of others and communicating properly with them. Even as the adoptive mother to a trio of orphaned kids aboard Gekkostate, Eureka often finds herself unsure how to handle the children as she usually asks Renton for advice on how to care for them. A combination of later events and spending more time with Renton leads Eureka to develop emotions that she never experienced before, particularly an increased affection for Renton. With her increasingly close bond with Renton and the emotions she gains, Eureka becomes more expressive with how she feels and learns to understand the depth of human emotions such as guilt and regret, particularly with actions she committed years before the start of the series.

Ippo Makunochi, Fighting Spirit
Who He Is: Ippo is a young boxer at the Kamogawa Gym trained by the gym’s owner and head coach, Genji Kamogawa, as he fights his way through the ranks of Japan’s top boxers to become the country’s featherweight boxing champion.
How He Improves: Ippo started off as a very shy high school student whose quiet personality and commitment to helping out at his mother’s business made him a target for bullying as he regularly put up with the abuse of his tormentors. His encounter with professional boxer Mamoru Takemura led Ippo to develop the desire to become a boxer so he could stand up for himself and gain greater self-confidence. Through his training and matches, Ippo would become a confident young man whose skills in boxing would continue to dramatically improve as he rose in the ranks of Japan’s featherweight boxing division and other characters, ally and rival alike, would come to respect Ippo’s skills and passion for the sport of boxing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Nominating

Chihiro, Spirited Away

Who the character is: Chihiro is a young girl who finds herself trapped in a spirit world. Even worse, her parents have been turned into pigs to be fattened up prior to being served up to the spirits. Chihiro must save her parents and find a way back to the real world.

How the character improves: At the beginning Chihiro is a self-centred, dependent, whingeing child, in a total funk over the family's move to a new home. She is terrified by the strange world she finds herself in and her parents' transformation into pigs. When she resolves to save her parents she begins to grow up, learning about responsibility, commitment, perseverence, courage and how love is what you do for others. At the end her new maturity not only saves her parents but transforms the lives of the spirits she has befriended and even impresses the curmudgeonly witch who rules the spirit bath house where Chihiro had been forced to work.

The scrunchie goes bling!

Supporting

Rue, Princess Tutu
Sabre, Fate / Stay Night
Shinichi Chiaki, Nodame Cantabile
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
Nominate:

Nanami Kiryuu, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Who She Is: Nanami is the younger sister of Student Council member Touga, as well as spoiled young lady with a trio of followers and a trio of pursuers. She's known for her cruelty to Anthy, who she feels is attracting too much attention from Touga as he duels to win her hand.
How She Improves: Much of her improvement is near the end of the series. While for selfish reasons, she chooses to fill in for Touga when he must leave the Student Council for a time. More importantly, when the Ends of the World shows her what she always thought was her truest desire, she rejects it. She has learned that her desire is not what she thought, that it is wrong, and that when it comes down to it, that's not who she is at all. In the end, she is no longer the mean, belligerent little sister, but rather someone capable of a more complete life who is happier to be with those she truly cares about than being followed by an entourage.
Picture

Voting For
Youko from Twelve Kingdoms
Usagi from Sailor Moon
Satou from Welcome to the NHK
Eva from Monster
Madoka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Fakir from Princess Tutu
Rue from Princess Tutu
Ringo from Mawaru Penguindrum

[Edit: added picture]

Last edited by Mylene on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'd like to nominate someone who came to mind as soon as I first saw this thread... since no one has mentioned her yet, I hope isn't so obscure as to fall through the cracks. It's really a great story. Sad

Nominate

Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17

Who she is: Tsubasa Shiina is a 10-year-old girl who recently moved to Hokkaido to live with her father. In school, she is very quiet and unsociable with her classmates. Then one night, she witnesses a UFO crash in the forest near her home. She rushes to the scene and finds the pilot, codenamed "D.D.", in a barely stable condition. Also in the scene is a Maguar, a hideous alien that hatched aboard D.D.'s ship. As the Maguar is close to taking Tsubasa's life, an alien lifeform fuses with her body to form the Riberus battle armor Figure 17, which shortly destroys the alien threat. The life form takes the name Hikaru and turns into an identical twin of Tsubasa.*

*Borrowed from ANN encyclopedia entry because it sums that up really well.

How she improves: Figure 17 takes a down-to-earth approach to its story and its unique conglomeration of genres, and this includes its characterization. Tsubasa is a shy child, lacking confidence, and afraid of loss. Though she is self-aware enough to recognize her weaknesses and wish she didn't have them, she has never really had any encouragement or motivation to change herself. The situation thrust upon her becomes this motivation, Hikaru becomes this encouragement, and over the course of the series, through a combination of experiences in her daily life in the rural ranching community in which she lives and in her combat with the Maguar, we see Tsubasa learn to work through her shyness, learn to trust others, struggle with, mourn, and overcome loss, and become more confident in herself; an experience that leaves her mature beyond her years, but written in such a way that her character never feels fake.

Picture

Last edited by Veers on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Supporting

Shinichi Chiaki, Nodame Cantabile
Sabre, Fate / Stay Night
Eureka, Eureka 7
Yuu Gotou, Noein
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Chihiro, Spirited Away
Rika Nonaka/ Makino, Digimon Tamers (whom I forgot about earlier, sorry Rika)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 28