• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REBO62

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'll just be happy if they get some guts and start playing Evangelion or Tekkaman Blade (Technoman would do.)

I heard a rumor about CN showing Evangelion on Adult Swim some time in the future. Any thruth to that?
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:10 am Reply with quote
REBO62 wrote:

I heard a rumor about CN showing Evangelion on Adult Swim some time in the future. Any thruth to that?

Although I have not heard anything about this one way or the other, I would HIGHLY doubt Eva will ever see the light of day on US television. The religious references alone, no matter how trivial, will cause an uproar. Further, if it did show up ion TV, I fear it would be so cut up it would now be worth watching.

Now, if by some chance it does make it to AS fairly intact, I will definitely be there watching it! Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:

REBO62 wrote:

Although I have not heard anything about this one way or the other, I would HIGHLY doubt Eva will ever see the light of day on US television. The religious references alone, no matter how trivial, will cause an uproar. Further, if it did show up ion TV, I fear it would be so cut up it would now be worth watching.

As a disinterested observer here (since I can't watch Adult Swim, since my government won't let cable/satellite operators carry CN nor will they permit us to buy dishes from American providers), I'm not so sure there would be an uproar about Evangelion should it air on Adult Swim, for the simple reason that the types that would most likely want to have it taken off the air don't have cable/satellite, or, if even they do, they don't subscribe the Cartoon Network (or, if its part of a basic package, they block it out), since these people tend to let their kids watch only certain videos and block out all "secular" children's programming (which is fine, and I'm glad they do take an interest in what their children watch, even if I disagree with the reasons they might object to programming). This is the same general reason you haven't really heard a peep from these groups about Cowboy Bebop or The Sopranos (there are plenty of groups against The Sopranos, but they tend to be for secular reasons, either because of the violence on the show or the portrayal of Americans of Italian origin). Also, didn't Evangelion actually air, uncut, on the legendary San Jose PBS station (KTEH?)? I don't recall hearing any fuss about that, and you didn't even need to subscribe to cable or satellite to watch it. And Berit Kjos has had an Evangelion responses page on her Website for a couple of years now, but none of the groups with which she is associated, namely the American Family Association, ever took any interest in campaigning against Evangelion or anime in general (the whole Cardcaptors/Taco Bell affair was solely about Taco Bell selling Tarot-like cards to kids; they hardly seemed aware that they were from a kids' cartoon show).

Though whether Evangelion would air uncut on CN is an entirely different issue, and, from reading Kyle's interview with the person who decides what has to be cut to meet CN's standards, I think they would have to cut a fair bit out.

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pilot Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:09 am Reply with quote
yeah, i really dont think that Evangelion will air on AS. if it did, i think that it would be very chopped up. ill just stick to watching the series on DVD....or at least the ones i have.

Now for what i dont get. Why the hell is Pilot Candidate on AS? it would fit better on Toonami. It is rated TV PG, even DBZ has more blood, fighting, etc. I can understand that some kids wouldnt be able to understand what the hell is going on, (much less the adults), but still..

What I would like to see on AS is Escaflowne but like thats ever gonna happen.
Pilot Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:09 am Reply with quote
yeah, i really dont think that Evangelion will air on AS. if it did, i think that it would be very chopped up. ill just stick to watching the series on DVD....or at least the ones i have.

Now for what i dont get. Why the hell is Pilot Candidate on AS? it would fit better on Toonami. It is rated TV PG, even DBZ has more blood, fighting, etc. I can understand that some kids wouldnt be able to understand what the hell is going on, (much less the adults), but still..

Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Pilot Zero wrote:

Well, considering the fact that FOX has the Escaflowne TV rights for another 4 years... It's definitely not going to happen any time soon, and I doubt ever.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

for the simple reason that the types that would most likely want to have it taken off the air don't have cable/satellite, or, if even they do, they don't subscribe the Cartoon Network (or, if its part of a basic package, they block it out), since these people tend to let their kids watch only certain videos and block out all "secular" children's programming

haven't really heard a peep from these groups about Cowboy Bebop or The Sopranos

Actually, you'd be surprised. These people do subscirbe to CN, and they do complain about Toonami and Adult Swim. Anime News Network has even received e-mails from these people, telling us that we're going to go to hell for our programming decisions.

We even received one such e-mail (saying we'd go to hell) from an American Youth Minister at some church or other (we confirmed that he was indeed who he said he was). Personally I felt like ridiculing him on ANN (with a copy sent to his churche's but refrained from doing so...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Actually, you'd be surprised. These people do subscirbe to CN, and they do complain about Toonami and Adult Swim. Anime News Network has even received e-mails from these people, telling us that we're going to go to hell for our programming decisions.

I was speaking primarily of groups, not individuals. Invariably some individuals, like Berit Kjos, have seen anime on AS or Toonami or at Blockbuster, watched them and objected, but not enough of these individuals have ever organized themselves into a group to campaign against anime; or, at least, not a large enough campaign to be mentioned on the websites of any major Christian groups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Pilot Zero wrote:

Actually, Pilot Candidate was orginally supposed to be aired in the Toonami block, and the episodes that have been shown on Adult Swim were actually edited to Toonami's standards. (The whole first run was, anyway.)

A Toonami representative named Jason Demarco Sr. mentioned this in response to Question #19 of Kyle Pope's Cartoon Network interview, and Kyle commented on the results in several of his Edit Lists.

Tempest wrote:

Pilot Zero wrote:

Well, considering the fact that FOX has the Escaflowne TV rights for another 4 years... It's definitely not going to happen any time soon, and I doubt ever.

I would have to agree. According to what I've read on the matter, the reason why FOX canned the series so quickly in the first place was because it was like a "ratings black hole". Fans of the original Japanese version didn't like it because the dub was dumbed down to a 7-year-old level (for Fox Kids' main audience), and Fox Kids's viewers didn't like it because the basic concepts of the series were too complicated for them. That meant that basically no one wanted to watch it, and the ratings plummetted off the bottom of the chart.

If all that is true, then I don't see any reason why Cartoon Network would even think about aquiring the series. Odds are, Cartoon Network would have the exact same problem.

Tenchi wrote:

I was speaking primarily of groups, not individuals. Invariably some individuals, like Berit Kjos, have seen anime on AS or Toonami or at Blockbuster, watched them and objected, but not enough of these individuals have ever organized themselves into a group to campaign against anime; or, at least, not a large enough campaign to be mentioned on the websites of any major Christian groups.

From my experience, the majority of people who object to that sort of thing are parents who were raised according to self-porfessed "firm morals", and ended up considerably closed-minded due to their strict conformity. In the case of something like Evangelion, they might object to the showing of religious material because they were taught (or came to perceive) that religion needs to be explained to children by parents or clergy, to be sure that they have the "proper" understanding and don't get the wrong impression. (Basically the same logic as that behind "the sex talk".)

The groups that lobby against those kinds of subject matter are formed by people who, for one reason or another, have the similar feelings on the issue. A church congregation doesn't just randomly decide to fight on some debated societal issue one day; rather, the members of the church come to have the same feelings on major issues through the generations, and when something that seems to contradict those ideals crosses their path, they do what they cane to make their opinion heard.

The group that objected to Taco Bell's promotion apparently felt that children should not come to an unknowing acceptance of tokens of another religion they really didn't know anything about, and Taco Bell chose to accomodate that belief by cancelling the clow card part of the promotion.

If you had already taken that into consideration, I apologize for making you process the same information twice. It just seemed to me from the tone of your post that you might not have examined the phenomenon to that depth, and I figured it couldn't hurt to toss out my view on the matter.
Confused
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:11 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

If you had already taken that into consideration, I apologize for making you process the same information twice. It just seemed to me from the tone of your post that you might not have examined the phenomenon to that depth, and I figured it couldn't hurt to toss out my view on the matter.
:?

Well, there's this I wrote once, based on exhaustive on-line research, mostly in defense of conservative Christians, pointing out that no major Christian organization (of the kind that react against popular culture) had ever really gotten a bee in their collective bonnets about anime in the same way they did about, say, Marilyn Manson, Death Metal, Dungeons and Dragons or Howard Stern. The closest thing I ever remember to an organized boycott of anime was the ill-considered (and poorly researched) press release from Concerned Women for America, concerned about the witchcraft in Kiki's Delivery Service, but that was really just part of the ongoing campaign against Disney among certain of these groups, not against anime or Miyazaki (which they spelt "Mikazake" IIRC, though the press release is no longer on their website) per se, other than a mention of anime as "violent and warlike cartoons". I'm someone totally against making straw men out of these groups and exaggerating the backlash and I make a strong distinction between the parents who keep their kids from trading Pokemon cards or watching the Cartoon Network on cable out of sincere concern for their kids and the organizations like the American Family Association that come out against Pokemon because it's a quick and easy way to get free publicity for their groups.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, speaking of CN and it's anime, I got off of work alittle early and caught Sailor Moon. I don't know if it old news, new news, or "news to me" news. It's on 2:30 CST (1:30 for you East and West side people.), just before Hamtaro. Hmmm, an hour of cuteness. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
REBO62

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:02 pm Reply with quote
That's what I thought about Evangelion. Although if they showed the series (Especially "End of Evangelion", wouldn't that be a complete hell hole for them?) relatively uncut I would just have to send them a fruit basket or something.

I hold the same Impression about Escaflowne as most of the people here but I heard they stopped showing it because they butchered the show too hard to even have a full season. From what I understand Bandai is VERY unhappy with Fox over the whole affair. CN wanted Escaflowne and they just got outbid. Somehow I can only hope that they would have done a fairer job with the editing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4