• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also, I'm a bit surprised no one has voted for Rei. Are there no Evangelion fans around here? Or are you just all Asuka fans? Laughing
I'm more of a Misato fan myself. Smile
I was on the fence about voting for Rei because her development felt cut short, due to the events in Eva 2.2, and a little limited. On the other hand, I think she does show improvement versus other characters in the movies and her progress is more apparent than maybe a couple of nominated characters in the tournament.

Vote for/Support:
Mari Wakatake, Blue Drop
Rei Ayanami, Evangelion Rebuild movies
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Wabisuke Jinnouchi, Summer Wars
Who He Is: He is the half-granduncle of one of the MCs, Natsuki Jinnouchi, but is only 40 years old. Natsuki's great grandfather had an affair and had Wabisuke, but his wife Sakae adopted Wabisuke even though they weren't blood related. For that, Wabisuke cares deeply for her. The story takes place in our world, only social networking has been taken to the next level with OZ. OZ is a massive computer-simulated virtual reality world in which you can securely pay your bills, operate businesses, play computer games, have instant translations from any language, or just socialize. Wabisuke is a programming expert and the family outcast; 10 years ago he stole the family's fortune and moved to the US. He comes back for a family reunion, arrogant and self-assured as he has sold a powerful AI program (called LoveMachine) he created to the US. LoveMachine goes out of control and takes over OZ, wreaking havoc with traffic lights, hacking people's accounts, and mucking up businesses. Wabisuke doesn't see this as a big deal even though people's lives are indirectly threatened by LoveMachine, and is bitter when Sakae is furious with him over what he has done.
How He Improves: Wabisuke starts out arrogant and selfish. He loves Sakae but doesn't care about hurting others to impress her. Unfortunately, it takes the death of someone close, indirectly caused by Love Machine, to make him realize the consequences of his creation. The death shocks him, saps away his cockiness and spurs him to reconnect with his estranged family.
Picture

Chagum, Moribito
Who He Is: Chagum is the second prince of the New Yogo Empire. When it becomes apparent he has been possessed by a water spirit, his father the Emperor orders Chagum's assassination to preserve the royalty's image. Chagum's mother hires a bodyguard, Balsa the spear woman, to spirit him away and protect him the rest of his life. To avoid assassins, Chagum must learn to blend in with the masses and live the life of an ordinary commoner.
How He Improves: At first Chagum is reserved and directionless, relying completely on Balsa to keep him alive. As they travel, Chagum grows into a more confident person as he learns how to utilize the skills he was taught growing up in real life. When they learn that the spirit inside him may kill him, he faces the problem head-on and asks Balsa to teach him how to fight. At the end of the series he has developed responsibilities and become much more independent. Seeing the pressure weigh on Chagum, Balsa offers to whisk him away on an adventure together, but Chagum declines as he has decided to shoulder his task.
Picture of Chagum as prince
Picture as a normal citizen
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Vote For:
Jean Valjean (Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette)
Chagum (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit)
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Yakumo Fujii, 3x3 Eyes
Who He Is: Yakumo is a normal high school boy until a strange, naive girl (Pai) approaches him with a letter from his estranged father. Unfortunately, Pai brought a demon-pet with her that goes berserk and fatally wounds Yakumo. To save him, Pai reveals a third eye in her forehead and drags Yakumo's soul out of his body and into her eye. This saves his life and makes him a Wu, Pai's immortal servant. He will regenerate from any wound, no matter how severe, as long as Pai is alive. The problem is, Pai is the last of a race of Sanjiyan Unkara, 3-eyed humanoids who are rumored to be able to grant people immortality. Because of this, humans and creatures alike are after Pai and Yakumo must step up and learn to protect her as her Wu.
How He Improves: Yakumo starts out clueless on how to use his powers and is more of a liability, as Pai often ends up protecting him. As they battle demons and humans alike, Yakumo falls in love with both Pai's innocent side and her fierce but lonely side. When Pai disappears, Yakumo devotes his life to finding her and becoming a worthy Wu. When he finds her 4 years later, he has become a master martial artist and has demon servants of his own in his employ.
Picture
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
Supporting

Chagum, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

I'm done with my nominations. I was considering some others (Tetsuro from Galaxy Express 999, Porco Rosso, Momo from Letter to Momo and Ayato Naoi from Angel Beats!) but I doubt they'd have much of an impact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Voting for:

Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss - It was frustrating to bear with all the crap the character had in the series but when Luke changed, I started to enjoy the show a lot more.

Masakazu Masaki, Time of Eve - I watched the show recently and Masaki's development was really notable that I contemplated nominating him; I didn't get to it because I couldn't quite express how he developed.

Wow, that's it? I was expecting to vote more but I have neither seen several shows mentioned nor do I remember much growth in character for the ones that I have.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if any of these will make the list if we don't end up with 128, but that's my own fault for neglecting the forum for a week and a half.

Nominating
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread pic
Who He Is: A lowly mechanic with burning need to prove himself, but without the sense of conviction in himself to achieve it. Hibiki is captured by a band of female space pirates, and ends up piloting a Vanguard (mech) to help fight off a hostile alien force. It is soon discovered that his Vanguard has the ability to combine with certain pirates' Dreads (starfighters) to form unique and powerful mechs which are an invaluable combat tool.
How He Improved: Hibiki starts off reckless, volatile, and uncooperative. He fervently believes in the ideals his society preaches without reflecting on their importance. This leads to many aggravated conflicts with the female crew, and his egocentric actions endanger others on a few occasions. Through the series, though, he is made aware of the necessity of relying on others and the value of standing for his own purpose rather than blindly following the beliefs thrust upon him his whole life. Ultimately, he ends up not just finding confidence in himself, but becomes a figure for others to rally behind, as well.

Bart Garsus, Vandread pic
Who He Is: One of the three men captured by the female space pirates in the opening incident of the series. Bart uses his training as a helmsmen to convince the pirates to make him a useful member of the crew (despite the unusual nature of the Nirvana making him as about unexperienced with flying it as any of the pirates) rather than a mere prisoner. His defining traits are cowardice (to the point where he takes pride in running away) and obnoxiousness, with a degree of self-importance.
How He Improved: While Bart's skill as a helmsman isn't particularly exceptional, it is still a vital one, and his competence does allow the pirates to grow to accept him, and his interactions with the crew make him a more tolerable human being. There is, however, a specific episode that causes him to change his attitude and outlook completely. While the Nirvana are defending a planet where the entire population suffers from weakened immune systems due to the hostile environment, he develops a friendship with a young girl is enamored with his stories and begins making a doll of him. After a skirmish against the aliens, he returns to find the girl has succumb to her illness before she was able to finish the doll, leaving it bald. Her death drives him to symbolically shave his head and he vows never to run away again, because he has a duty to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Erio Touwa, Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl pic1 pic2
Who She Is: The cousin of the protagonist, Makoto. To say that Erio is socially awkward is an understatement of enormous magnitude. At the start of the series, she rarely, if ever, leaves the house and wraps a futon around herself at all times. She claims to be an alien and does things like watch static on the television.
How She Improved: With constant prodding from her cousin, who has moved in with Erio and her mother, Erio begins to shed her (figurative and literal) protective shell. She goes outside, begins making friends, and even gets a part-time job.

Thinking about nominating but haven't got around to and won't bother if this is done tonight:
Yuri from Angel Beats
Taro from Ghost Hound

Supporting:
Ayaka Steiger, Kurau
Chagum, Moribito
Clare, Claymore
Chihiro, Spirited Away
Eva Heineman, Monster
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Jun Sakurada, Rozen Maiden
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust/Betrayal
Kimihiro Watanuki, XXXholic
Madoka Kaname, PMMM
Masakazu Masaki, Time of Eve
Ringo Oginome, Mawaru Penguindrum
Rue, Princess Tutu
Scar, FMA: Brotherhood
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora
Tamaki Kawazoe, Bamboo Blade
Tomoya Okazaki, Clannad
Youko Nakajima, Twelve Kingdoms
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Chagum, Moribito
Chihiro, Spirited Away
Daikichi Kawachi, Bunny Drop
Kiki, Kiki’s Delivery Service
Masakazu Masaki, Time of Eve
Rue, Princess Tutu
Sawako Kuronuma, Kimi ni Todoke - From Me to You
Shizuku Tsukishima, Whisper of the Heart
Shoukei, Twelve Kingdoms
Suzu, Twelve Kingdoms
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17
Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish
Watashi, The Tatami Galaxy
Yakumo Fujii, 3x3 Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Vote For
Daikichi Kawachi, Bunny Drop
Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss
Nanami Kiryuu, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Suzu, The Twelve Kingdoms
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:

Chagum (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit), Bart (Vandread).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I am Voting For:

Yakumo Fuji, 3x3 Eyes
Gaara, Naruto franchise
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha franchise - I just watched the first half of The Final Act yesterday and think, with that included, that it's impossible to dispute that he significantly improves as a character. The way he treats Rin in TFA is definitely well beyond where he started out.

I am hesitant about supporting Chagum because I still think he's a borderline candidate.

I am also hesitant about supporting Jean Valjean. I am a big fan of the musical and movie versions of Les Miserables (Hugh Jackman made a good Valjean and Anne Hathway was an immensely impressive Fantine, but Russell Crowe sucked as Javert!), but I never saw past the first three episodes of Shoujo Cosette, and the way it was presenting things I'm concerned that a significant amount of Valjean's most important development is in the series' backstory. Can someone who's actually seen the anime series comment on this?

Oh, and current listing is going up on the OP shortly after I post this. And we will need to make a decision very soon about whether to go with a field of 64 or a field of 128. Right now we have 111 nominees, of which 94 are at 2 or better. I won't do a 128 field unless we have a full 128 at 2 or better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am also hesitant about supporting Jean Valjean. I am a big fan of the musical and movie versions of Les Miserables (Hugh Jackman made a good Valjean and Anne Hathway was an immensely impressive Fantine, but Russell Crowe sucked as Javert!), but I never saw past the first three episodes of Shoujo Cosette, and the way it was presenting things I'm concerned that a significant amount of Valjean's most important development is in the series' backstory. Can someone who's actually seen the anime series comment on this?

You're right in that most of Valjean's past is shown only through flashbacks (the show is about Cosette, after all, so it starts and ends with her), but he still gets plenty of development over the course of the series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Key, are the vote numbers still being updated? Because right now the number for Megumi Noda is off, as she should be at 5, with support from myself, Keichitsu0305, errinundra, Maidenoftheredhand and Aylinn.

Actually, I found a few more cases where characters I nominated have more votes than the first page lists, so I will assume that only new names have been added so far, not new vote totals.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, no, in most cases the numbers haven't been updated since the last posting. I completely forgot to do that before I posted the update (because of the hyperlinks, I can't just copy these from an Excel spreadsheet, run them through a table convertor, and paste them in a forum post like I used to, so I have to update the numbers by hand). It will be corrected within the hour.

EDIT: Scores have now been updated, too.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
There are 68 nominations with 4 or more votes. Those on four are:
Eureka, Eureka 7, 4
Haruko, Air, 4
Haruyuki Arita, Accel World, 4
Ichiko Sakura, Binbougami Ga!, 4
Jean Valjean, Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette, 4
Kenji Ichijouji, Digimon Adventure 02, 4
Lain Iwakura, Serial Experiments Lain, 4
Leina Vance, Queen’s Blade, 4
Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss, 4
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome, 4
Renji Abari, Bleach, 4
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!, 4
Saji Crossroad, Gundam 00, 4
Talho Yuki, Eureka 7, 4
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17, 4
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 28