• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Plus Movie Edition by Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:36 am Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

I will point out to you, though, that showbiz IS an industry and, as such, if a producer isn't happy with a distribution deal, they have every right to take it away from the distributor. Plain and simple.

Heh NOT.

It depends on the contract, the producer only has the above right if it was written into the distribution contract.

If there aren't clauses built into a contract (any contract) for breaking it... it can't be broken.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:39 am Reply with quote
skullone wrote:

At any rate, guys, any confirmed news I can find, I'll keep giving it to you.

Much appreciated.
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:22 am Reply with quote
That link was good, but they forgot one little fact.

HG buys rights to said anime.
HG changes the story (which they have the right to do, like it or not) to where it is no longer known as Macross but is instead Robotech.

As I said before, the Japanese courts can say whatever they want, the only way you're going to stop HG is to sue them in court, and you will have to prove that knowingly bought the rights illegally. Needless to say, the odds are against you.

The issue of the merchandise rights brings up an interesting point. It is still speculative as the lawyers have to go over it but if the fine print does indeed say that HG only had the rights to the anime and not the merchandise then HG already created the back door to sneak out. By creating Robotech and not staying with the original anime of Macross, they created an entire new product line.
Sure, it's the same toys, no arguement there, but it's under a different name. It's a sticky issue that only the lawyers can figure out.

Keep in mind, this can take another decade to get hammered out. Look at how long it took BW to get Fasa to stop using Macross mecha for Battletech.
skullone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:28 am Reply with quote
BW didn't go against FASA. HG did, at a time when BW was still out of the picture.

As for HG changing Macross beyond recognition, this can be held against them in a court of law.

Say what you want, HG has put itself in deep trouble.
nagash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm Reply with quote
How can HG get in trouble for changing the story and creating Robotech? If you buy the rights then you can do whatever you want to the story provided the contract does not specifically stepulate that you need the authors permission to do so.
Only the lawyers can figure that one out, so let them do their job, but I do not see how HG can wind up in trouble for creating Roboteck. They bought the rights from a company that supposedly had them which will stand in a US court of law. It's up to BW to prove that HG knew they were up to no good. Again, only lawyers will be able to decide.
skullone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:57 am Reply with quote
In pretty much the same way a singer/group can get in trouble by covering a song without asking permission from the composer(s) first (just the "go ahead" from the original record company isn't good enough).
nagash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:33 am Reply with quote
If the system worked that way then you'd never be able to watch a movie on television. The artist may be working for a studio but the studio is the one that makes the deals (unless the artist is the president of said studio, of which I don't know if that was the case).

Look at Rising Sun. Anyone that read the book and then watched the movie knows that the movie doesn't deserve to share the same title as the book as the story was completely changed, yet it still bore the same name. Same thing can be said for Clear and Present Danger.

In either case, the actors or writers have no say in who gets to show what. They get royalties from the company but they do not get to say which station gets the show. The only time the actors or authors get involved is if they are asked to put in an appearance to promote the product or to use their likeness. In music's case, they are asked to write a song for the soundtrack.

Furthermore, in all the music cases that have come out, permission was not asked by the new artist to redo the old song. In the Macross/Robotech case, HG did not need to ask permission. If BW had not wanted the story changed, they could've put the stipulation in the contract. All of that nonsense has to be in the contract when it is signed. It wasn't, and as I said in earlier courts, until the lawyers can prove HG knew it was illegally buying the rights, BW can do nothing about Robotech.
Even if they could, I don't think it would do much good. Robotech and Macross are two different stories. They should not be viewed as equals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3