• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Final Fantasy: All the Bravest RPG Arrives on iOS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
okay square keep this good work up please, 2d rpgs are what you are best at game play wise and this look freaking sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Y'know Square Enix, there was another title of yours with "Brave" in the name that I want a billion times more than this...
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Meh. It's on an apple product. When they bring it to something else, I may be able to take a look. Not buying an overpriced piece of hardware for this.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Square Enix breaking every hope and dream of people wanting a good game localized in favor of yet another stupid iOS game. Rolling Eyes

There is a petition for bringing Bravely Default here but it has less than 700 signatures and online petitions never work. If they don't announce anything about it by E3 I'm sure the fans will give them hell to pay.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
In all honesty, I consider this to be the last true hurrah for 2D Final Fantasy RPGs. Square Enix's release of this indicates a celebration of everything from the 2D era before it gets closed out for good. Enjoy the 2D while it lasts, FF fans. Sad
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
If they released this on Steam or the 3DS e-Shop I would be all over it cause it looks awesome. But I will not buy another apple product after the garbage I have been through with them so for now I guess I can't play it. Hope they bring it to some other platforms cause it looks awesome.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm lucky to be able to play Bravely Default since I have it for my Japanese 3DS, but... when no one else I know can play it themselves, the enjoyment is cut down. They really need to release this game in the West. It's nothing revolutionary for Square Enix gameplay, but it is still a visual/audial masterpiece that I can't seem to put down, even though it plays like the old FF games I lost interest in long ago... They turned an old concept into a fresh one and this game needs more exposure. D:
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
Meh. It's on an apple product. When they bring it to something else, I may be able to take a look. Not buying an overpriced piece of hardware for this.

I find it surprising that they started with iOS considering that there are more than twice as many Android phones in Japan than iThings. Worldwide, Android devices are about four times more numerous than ones running iOS.

Maybe iOS has better content protection than Android? For a game that sells for just a few bucks that seems an unlikely rationale, but who knows?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Worldwide, Android devices are about four times more numerous than ones running iOS.

But the stats show iOS users buy more apps and buy more in-app purchases. Maybe those Android devices are being used more as dumbphones (ie, users aren't adding apps) or maybe there's more piracy, or maybe a little of both, or something else.

Square Enix isn't stupid and doesn't hate you or your platform of choice. They just think they're more likely to find people re-buying their FF nostalgia on iOS / PSP / DS than on other platforms, in numbers sufficient to recoup development costs. If there's money to be made on Android / Win 8 / whatever, someone's going to pursue it.

Anyways, this platform evangelism stuff pops up every time there's a "anime/game company makes a new thing for iOS" story. ANN would save us all time by automatically seeding the forum with a "why isn't there an Android version" post every time they run a story like this.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they make an Android version. I recently got the Droid 4 and need a good game to play. This reminds me of original World of Warcraft 40 man raids, just with Final Fantasy characters and villains as raid bosses.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
this looks terrible and awkward.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Worldwide, Android devices are about four times more numerous than ones running iOS.

But the stats show iOS users buy more apps and buy more in-app purchases. Maybe those Android devices are being used more as dumbphones (ie, users aren't adding apps) or maybe there's more piracy, or maybe a little of both, or something else.

Square Enix isn't stupid and doesn't hate you or your platform of choice. They just think they're more likely to find people re-buying their FF nostalgia on iOS / PSP / DS than on other platforms, in numbers sufficient to recoup development costs. If there's money to be made on Android / Win 8 / whatever, someone's going to pursue it.

Anyways, this platform evangelism stuff pops up every time there's a "anime/game company makes a new thing for iOS" story. ANN would save us all time by automatically seeding the forum with a "why isn't there an Android version" post every time they run a story like this.

Plus, those stats were only for smart phones. They did not include tablets, or MP3 players like the iPod Touch. Not to mention, it can be easier to develop certain types of apps for iOS when you have a limited number of hardware and software configurations to deal with, as opposed to the myriad of Android combinations.

As a former Android user, I downloaded many, many apps only to found out they weren't fully compatible with my hardware and either constantly crashed or would never load. At least I could get a refund if I erased it quickly enough, most of the time anyway.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

As a former Android user, I downloaded many, many apps only to found out they weren't fully compatible with my hardware and either constantly crashed or would never load.

Oh, that happens in iOS too. Some apps are just badly written. That's why I always check the reviews first.
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I find it surprising that they started with iOS considering that there are more than twice as many Android phones in Japan than iThings.

I find those results a bit surprising. I'm not discounting them, but I know plenty of people with iPhones and have only met one or two with an Android. I wonder what the distribution status is like for the actual owners? Maybe the younger crowd is somehow more inclined towards the iPhone...? It is, at least, viewed as a bit of a status symbol, because Japan loves trendy things. A couple years ago iPhones were a bit scarce, but lately it feels like half the people I know have them. (Then again, I see that study is a year and a half old, so perhaps it's just that the iPhone has gained momentum since.)

Either way, I might give this game a whirl a bit later, but the video trailer honestly doesn't look that promising to me.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

As a former Android user, I downloaded many, many apps only to found out they weren't fully compatible with my hardware and either constantly crashed or would never load.

Oh, that happens in iOS too. Some apps are just badly written. That's why I always check the reviews first.

That's usually due to badly written apps, which is why I also check reviews. However, iOS generally won't let you download apps that are incompatible with your hardware, such as downloading a newer game on an old iPhone 3G that doesn't have the hardware to run it. I don't know if its improved any, but with Android, you could download pretty much any app to any hardware set, even if that app wouldn't run on your hardware. Also, the App Store usually lists any hardware limitations, such as an app being only compatible with iPad or IPhone 4S and up, while Android in the past didn't. It has been at least a year since I've used Google Play however, as everyone I know who owns a Droid has switched.

Anyway, the Droid I had caused me to swear off both Android and Motorola for a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2