• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Makes Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
If you read the article, you'd know that he didn't say that it was a manga but it was gonna be drawn "manga-style"
spiderkid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok, you can't say it can't be a manga but it can be a comic book. Manga is the Japanese term for comic book. That's like saying a voice actor is not a seiyuu. It means the exact same thing, just being said in a different language. And if you're saying that because it's a black guy's concept and not a Japanese person's, that's just wrong. And Kanye is going to base it around his lyrics, not about George Bush. I think it would be truly inspiring to see some manga with stories based on tracks like "My Way Home", "Roses", "Celebration", "Through the Wire", and all that good stuff. Plus, he used to be really into anime and drew in that style for a time. I believe that the manga is gonna reflect the Kanye that makes all those songs on his albums, and not the cocky arrogant fool he plays on TV.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There's a difference between relevance and importance.

Kanye West is relevant to music. Now.

Kanye West will never be important. His relevance will fade. In 5-10 years, nobody will even remember his name.

And I'd rather anime and manga remain a Japanese art form.

Talk about being a hater, wassup with all the negative post?

BeyonderZ wrote:
It's not manga.. why would someone even think it is. If the cartoon character "Kanye" wants to do something and make a comic thats fine. But it's not a manga, the fool can say it is till his blue in the face but wont change the fact it will be a comic.. not manga.

Is there a problem in making comic with influence from manga style? Or is the manga style exclusively to Japaneese only...? There are many influences around the world, that's why the japanese have j-hiphop with guys dress in sunglasses and bandanas. Rather than be a close minded "I take things too seriously" individual, try keeping an open mind about the possiblities.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This could be interesting. Maybe the manga will be about his bear mascot.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there already an OEL manga called Golddigger?

Anyways, I like Kanye. He breaths a more old-school air into hip-hop than gangsta rappers like Ludacris and 50 Cent(I always thought it was gramatically correct to say 50 cents and 50 is a plural, but I guess I'm wrong). Plus, I like a few of his songs. I'm not a huge fan, but I respect him.

It should be interesting though. And since Kanye has pretty good lyrics, it should be better than 'Princess Ai.' Courtney Love scares me. lol
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Talk about being a hater, wassup with all the negative post?

I saw penguintruth's post as more realistic than hating. Kanye's moderately popular at the moment, yes, but he's a far cry from a Tupac Shakur or an NWA. That's not to say he'll never attain their level, but given how things have gone, the chances of that happening are pretty darn slim. Realistically, Kanye will become a thing of the past in a couple years, just like 50 Cent and the like. It's not hating (at least...I'm not hating). Just offering up an objective opinion is all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spiderkid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
If Tupac were still alive and both Kanye and Pac were to come out with a new album, I would be much more excited about Kanye's. Kanye is truthfully so much of a visionary, I don't know why he acts so arrogant on tv. With the ideas in his mind that are apparent in his songs the manga should come out really good. I personally can't wait to hear more.
Tondog38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
okitasan wrote:
From his song "Touch the Sky".

Yes, yes, yes guess who's on third?
Lupe still like Lupin the Third.

Remember, that's from Lupe Fiasco's verse in the song. Kanye himself doesn't actually say it.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Kanye may be the best hip-hop artist right now, but considering the competition, that's saying very, very little.

Yeah, well, Vanilla Ice is on the verge of a comeback.

WHAT NOW, HUH?

While this doesn't particularly sound like the best idea to me, I'll wait to see if it's any good. Ya never know.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I can't wait for him to say, "Junichiro Koizumi doesn't care about black people."

I hope I am not the only person who read that and laughed. For the record, and for those too lazy to google it, Junichiro Koizumi is the Prime Minister of Japan, which is why it's funny.

As far as my thoughts on Kanye, I could really care less. The guys having his fifteen minutes of fame, and he'll just be another rapper that people forget after they're gone. The good ones names are never forgotten though. Tupac. Ice T. Ice Cube. All those guys, who could sing. Hell, whether ya like him or hate him, even Eminem has left his mark on the rap business.

As for what his "series" is about, I am not sure. On a recent episode of Carlos Mencia's "Mind of Mencia", Carlos Mencia made fun of him, too. If what he said was true, this guy grew up in the suburbs, which I bet is a reason why most labels refused to sign him. He doesn't fit the rapper profile. 50 Cent was shot nine times (Which is kinda ironic, since his video game is called Bulletproof, and if he was shot nine times he obviously isn't, but thats another argument for another day), and fits the new standard profile for a rapper.

I can't say much for Bill Plympton, all I know about the guy is he was born in the same city I was, thats about it.

EDIT:
Just saw JoshuaStChristopher's comment.

Last I checked, Vanilla Ice was doing rock and roll now.
so, indeed, what now? Very Happy
akitainu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I' in my mid 30's. Kanye West is simply a Katrina headline blurb to me. (I was weaned on the Butthole Surfers, Scratch Acid, the Dicks, etc...Damn you Texas!) But I do know Plympton. "I Married a Strange Person" is still one of my favorite movies. Let me plead ignorance...what is "manga style"? I read dozens of comics or graphic novels or "fancy picture books" in college.
My wife reads mangas (comic books from Japan) voraciously.
So I still (perhaps like a misbehaving child) wonder what is manga style or manga influenced?
Big eyes, maybe right to left format?

(edited because I may be stupid, my cat will vouch for views that are unsavory)

Last edited by akitainu on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Crunchberry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, if Courtney Love can make a manga (and I use that term lightly), I dont see why Kanye West cant.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a rap/hip-hop person, but that won't be relevant to the quality of this comic. This could be really cool. There's no rule that says it has to suck because it's American, is there? I like The Boondocks and it's an anime-influenced American cartoon. I'm sure there are plenty of others here who also like The Boondocks.

Also, if you want to hear a good hip-hop band, I would recommend Gym Class Heroes. Taste varies, of course.
smoochy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="DJ Crunchberry"]Well, if Courtney Love can make a manga (and I use that term lightly), I don't see why Kanye West can't.[/quote]

Should she have??? I'm really just quizzical about this because I haven't seen anything done in the manga style, that came from America, that I thought was worth even touching. Any recomendations that would prove me wrong would be appreciated, and I don't think Megatokyo counts.
layered

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
hahaha! this could be quite interesting. who here would like a gangztah manga yo?! lol!

...i can just imagine it now. the script would be something in the likes of, "yo! come here you hoe! yo wazzup? what the f[beep] r yu suppoze two be man? and wtf's a chibi?!"

Anime hyper lol!

btw, I agree with Fiction Alchemist. Kanye West, 50cent, Jay-Z, Nelly, Eminem...they can all go to hell. obviously, there's better Urban artists than they'll ever be. I for one don't really listen to Hip-hop/Rap, but all these mainstream trash are nothing more than the cash & bling-blingz they've accumulated through their desire (yes, I never thought that they even considered putting some effort(s) in their work if they really want ALL different indivuals to connect to their songs) to be sellouts...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8