• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Witchblade Acquired, Positioned for Adult Swim

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yay, it got licensed. Not surprised by the anousement though.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering that it was adapted from an American property, I'd have been shocked if it didn't get picked up. I will be very curious to see if it does eventually pop up on Adult Swim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
i figured it would get licensed, but i didn't think it would be picked up by adult swim.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Impressive!

FUNimation definitely has alot of cash to burn this year and they are targeting hot properties.

What rating do you think that the DVD release will have?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
TVMA no doubit. I hear that the tV verson is twoned down and the DVDs will be uncut in Japan.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
Lately the only anime I'm interested that Funimation licensed in Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, they seem to be only picking up shounen/action series lately, like Witchblade. I saw a short amount of the first episode of Witchblade but for some reason it really didn't click with me, I just clicked off but it is a fairly popular series so I'm sure it will sell well.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Did you hear if the Witchblade costume is getting redone for the DVD, as in less clothing? I heard a rumor about that on another forum?

It would have to be toned down for TV. There's alot of sexual innuendo in this title, especially associated with Witchblade herself. I would really love to hear the sales pitch that they are going to use for Adult Swim. Laughing

Does it seem like FUNimation is picking up alot of TV-MA titles to you?
emory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Yes. It looks like they've lost interest in the shonen market.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
Not like FUNi losing intrist in the Shoune market is a bad thing though. ofcorse FMP:TSR and Moon Phase are still in the Shouen market. (Though Funi is marketing Moon Phase as Shoujo)

Last edited by Advent_Nebula on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Surprise = 0. This show will be perfect for Adult Swim, pointless big boobs and all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Did you hear if the Witchblade costume is getting redone for the DVD, as in less clothing? I heard a rumor about that on another forum?

It would have to be toned down for TV. There's alot of sexual innuendo in this title, especially associated with Witchblade herself. I would really love to hear the sales pitch that they are going to use for Adult Swim. Laughing

The information on the costume is not that it's getting redone, but will be released with an "unedited" version for DVD release.

For those that had seen the model sheet, (illustrated/created by Uno Makoto) THIS was the design intended for the show. When it was aired they had to edit areas where "skin" would be shown (ie, butts, abdomen-to-nether regions). In other words think back to when 'Tenchi' was aired on CN, everyone had to wear a digital bathing suit. The same editing techniques had to be applied to the 'Witchblade' series. All areas where skin showed was colored in with a transparent color to match 'Witchblade' armor's color. The R2 DVDs will feature those scenes unedited. Not to mention the slip case that will come with the (LE) first vol. will feature the original design as it was intended. See 'Witchblade's site, under news for details.

For those that haven't really looked at the design that closely, there have been many shots, especially one particular shot in this month's 'Newtype USA' showing a 2-pg spread of promotional art using the unedited design. Not to mention the "bearer" having a nice little blade where the "sun don't shine". Hmmm...

But if they are going to air this on 'Adult Swim' then it's going to have to be toned down. And they'll probably have to use the edited version. Now I'm curious to know which version will we get for our release. They should have went with 'MTV', since or whatever that channel was that had 'Stripperella' some years ago.

It's funny but I just noticed this news on ANN last night. Again I'm still stumped at the whole license deal. The fact that it was mentioned some years ago but didn't get final word until now. Oh well...Wink Can't wait for 'KimiNozo'.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Since all the truly good shows are failing horribly on Adult Swim (Eureka Seven, Stand-Alone Complex, et al), I suppose it's only natural to see if insipid Gonzocrap will fare any better, eh?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
So the TV series is aired edited. That makes sense now. It didn't click with me, but I suppose a certain male population will enjoy the fanservice, sexual innuendo and gore. It looked like to me that Gonzo was trying to push the barrier for what they could get away with.

Does it seem to you that FUNi is doing what ADV did but in a compressed timeframe?

Increased fanservice title/mature content inventory, add some niche titles (KgNE), add live-action titles, develop cable channel ....
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
They should have went with 'MTV', since or whatever that channel was that had 'Stripperella' some years ago.

That was Spike TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since all the truly good shows are failing horribly on Adult Swim (Eureka Seven, Stand-Alone Complex, et al), I suppose it's only natural to see if insipid Gonzocrap will fare any better, eh?

You know, it really must be frustrating for [adult swim] to make sure they get their hands on quality like Eureka Seven and then, SURPRISE! have frickin' Inuyasha regularly top it in the ratings. If anyone else frequents the boards on adultswim.com, you'll probably know that many posters there declared it stupid, boring, etc. after one or two episodes. Though it has toned down a lot since then, the point is that [as] needs a series with a quick opening that gets you into the plot right away, or at least gives you a well-endowed heroine and lots of action to ogle in the meantime. I think Witchblade fulfills at least one of the two. (Guess which? Neutral )

If it weren't for Geneon's stupid DVD-release-prior-to-TV-airing policy, I'd recommend that [as] pick up Ergo Proxy or Black Lagoon...grr...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2