• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Immense is Your Manga Collection?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
That depends.
Japanese or English? Laughing

I'll let you know as soon as we get my new shelves up to hold them all!
ChocheK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Im collecting manga about 1 year and here is the list.

Vagabond 1-30 (Viz big 1-10)
Gon 1-7 complete
Solanin 1-2 complete
HighSchool of the Dead omnibus vol. 1 (1-4vol.)
Full metal alchemist manga box 1-27 complete
Claymore 1-20
Dragon Ball 1-16 Complete
Grenadier 1-7 Complete
Buso Renkin 1-10 Complete
One Piece 1-40 ( i bought all 40 volumes in one month from end of november to start of december xD)
Hellsing 1-10 Complete
Death Note 1-12 Complete
Naruto random 11 volumes
Bleach vol.1
Gantz vol. 1
Dragon Ball in italian 19 volumes

I order couple of days back Ral Grad 1-4 Complete and Tenjo Tenge omnibus 2in 1 / 2 volumes =)

Its rising slowly but im proud of it Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Updated:

The current total is 343

Ai Yori Aoshi (1-17 Complete)
Black Bird (1-14)
Black Lagoon (1-9)
Bleach (21-30)
Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh (1-2 Complete)
Boogiepop Dual (1-2 Complete)
Bunny Drop (1-7)
Chobits (1-8 Complete)
Claymore (1-21)
Code Geass: Lulouche of the Rebellion (1,2, 4)
Code Geass: Suzaku of the Counterattack (1)
Crescent Moon (1-6 Complete)
D.Gray-Man (1-16, and 19)
Dogs: Bullets and Carnage (0-6)
Eureka 7 (1-5)
Fate/Stay Night (1-11)
Full Metal Panic (1-8)
Ghost Talker's Daydream (1-6)
Gunslinger Girl (1-12)
Gunsmith Cats (1-4 Complete)
Hellsing (1-10 Complete)
Highschool of the Dead (1-7)
Higurashi-When They Cry (1-19)
Higurashi-When They Cry: Domon Exposing
Kare Kano (1-21 Complete)
King of Thorn (1-6 Complete)
Lunar Legend Tsukihime (1-6)
Midori Days (1-8 Complete)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Episode Zero
Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel (1-9)
Neon Genesis Evantellion: Angelic Days (1-6 Complete)
Oh! My Goddess (1-2, 4-8, 10-15)
Oh! My Goddess: Adventures of Mini-Goddess
Omamori Himari (1-9)
Planetes (1-4.5 Complete)
Princess Resurrection (1-7)
Remote (1-10 Complete)
Scryed (1-5 Complete)
Seikai Trilogy (1-3 Complete)
Silent Mobius (1-4 of the Udon volumes, 4-9, and 11 and 12 of the VIZ)
Suzuka (1-15)
shigusan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

Some of the collection on here are crazy over 2000+ in English you would of spent a small fortune.

Some advice: Learn Japanese then you can buy second hand manga (a much much larger variety) in 2nd hand book shops for like 50 c , or 1 dollar American.

I've only been collecting for 2 years and I have almost 3000 (I add about 1-2k per year) and I am able to do so without breaking the bank because they only cost 1 dollar max.

Learn Japanese Razz If you love manga so much this will make things cheaper for you.

Regards

Shigusan
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
Only if there's a store near you that sells used Japanese manga. If not, having to pay for shipping and handling could easily doube or even triple the costs. Seeing as I can find used Engels, Dutch and German manga for €2-4 in my own country, I don't have much of a need for used Japanese manga. They do pop up on Marktplaats occasionally, but more often than not these are very popular titles that are also available in English.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
I do kinda know Japanese, so I have bought a few Japanese manga in the past, but I've always been able to find them cheaper in English. Even now that I live near a Book Off. The problem with used manga stores is the same issue that regular used bookstores have: lack of variety. Sure, I'm sure Book Off has a bargain bin or whatever, but what's the point of buying $1 manga if they're all ones I'm not interested in? Confused

I collect without breaking the bank, too. It's not a race to the top. Anyone who views it as such is missing out. Rolling Eyes
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
shigusan wrote:
Some advice: Learn Japanese then you can buy second hand manga (a much much larger variety) in 2nd hand book shops for like 50 c , or 1 dollar American.

Unfortunately learning Japanese would require a rather large investment of time, and probably money if I wanted to do it quickly and properly. I just do not have the time and I would rather spend the money for translated manga and anime.

I have never seen a used or new book in Japanese in any local book store. I could buy some from ebay, but they are really not that cheap and the selection is very limited. I actually do have a few manga in Japanese that I got for various reasons (mostly I just wanted to look at the drawings).

Thank you for the advice, but it is just not practical for me.
Now the I think about it, the only way that I could make time to learn Japanese would be to quit reading manga and watching anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Now the I think about it, the only way that I could make time to learn Japanese would be to quit reading manga and watching anime.

I agree that the suggestion "Just learn Japanese" is much easier said than done. And BookOffs aren't exactly widely dispersed through most parts of the world (I've come across the odd Japanese manga in a couple random bookstores where I live in west Michigan, so anything is possible... but that's not exactly the best technique for finding a specific series).

However, I think you can certainly learn Japanese up to some level through watching anime/reading manga. You'd want to start by straight-up studying (learn hiragana/katakana/grammar rules) but reading manga in Japanese is a good way to reinforce and further your learning, with the reward of getting to read the story as you learn. It just makes your progress a bit slow, so you need patience! (I'm not the best example myself: I'm at the point where I can understand about half of what I'm reading, and I have a bad habit of skimming over the stuff I don't know and just focusing on what I do understand... )

Anyway, what with RightStuf sales and Kinokuniya's recent monthly free-shipping deals in the US, buying manga in English and Japanese comes out just about the same for me. But it is nice to have that option for the unlicensed series I reallyreally want to read. I think the Japanese side of my collection is starting to grow faster than the English... (though it's got quite a ways to catch up in numbers)
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, I love threads like these because I adore looking at pictures of people's manga collections. It's like being at the local bookstore and seeing all those shelves of lovely manga. And quite literally, some of you have collections that rival my local B&N (whose selection is quite dismal to say the least).

My own is pretty small, maybe 50 or so with me reading manga pretty on and off for about the past six years? I'm picky about what I read, and even more so about what I buy so it'll probably remain pretty small. My book shelf is so stuffed with books that I get a little apprehensive when I'm on a manga collecting streak. I don't want to buy another case for books, so I'm constantly donating/getting rid of older stuff.

And learning Japanese, heh, easier said than done.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
My collection had the potential to be real big but prices are way too high now and I'm just following two series that are released once in a blue moon (one is not even a manga, but a light novel instead) when I used to be buying 4 or 5 series per month, and I was looking forward to other titles as well.

Here's the story: I started collecting manga fairly recently, in 2007, with Akuma Na Eros and Ichigo 100%. Akuma Na Eros was very short and didn't excite me that much, but I was so addicted to Ichigo 100% that soon I reached the then-current volume and had to wait a whole year until they completed the series. Back then, the price for each volume was painless, so I shyly started to follow many series at once. I even started with Naruto, got the first 4 volumes and I was really liking it, but then Naruto volumes changed from monthly releases to bi-monthly, trimestral, every six months and now it's just irregularly released and they didn't even finished the first part (it's been published since 2008).

All of this because there's this slow burn inflation going on in my country. So, today I must pay 4 times the price I used to pay just 6 years ago and therefore I dropped a lot of series and I'm just following the one I like the most. And it's not even published regularly anymore. The last volume came out last month, and they are expecting the next around july or so. And we're talking about a finalized series in japan.

So, all in all, I have some 50 volumes of manga. Enough to fill one and a half shelf. I was worried about my shelf space before, but now I won't need to be Sad
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I do know Japanese- but I don't live anywhere near any second-hand bookstores. Heck, I don't live near any bookstores period- the nearest one is over 45 minutes away.

I just use honto and I ship with SAL or surface mail- super cheap and I get all the manga I want for way cheaper than buying English translated, or even English digital. The only time this isn't true is when the yen is strong- it's at its weakest in several years right now, which makes it more economically feasible to just buy import manga.

I live near a port city, so surface mail doesn't take more than about 5 weeks top, for me. SAL a little less- I don't mind the wait. Airmail takes about a week and a half and the shipping cost is approximately half of your total cost of the books- so you don't save a ton, but it's still not terribly expensive.

Honto also has an ebook service, if you're interested. DRM'd to hell and costs literally just as much as a print book, but it's still there, nonetheless. Good if you don't want to wait and still get some practice.

But to be completely, 100% honest, you will not be able to read most manga without a dictionary until you're probably around JLPT N3, or even N2, and even then, there are still lots of kanji that aren't supplemented with furigana that you might have a hard time with. If you're just reading shoujo or shounen comics, that's fine bcause they've usually got furigana, but if you're into comics for older readers...well...

You have to have a fairly sizeable vocabulary to putter through most manga if you don't want to be staring at a dictionary the whole time. That is no small commitment. Japanese isn't the easiest language for most native English speakers to learn.

All in all...I think I'm pushing 400 volumes of manga in English and Japanese. I haven't counted in a while. I recently just got back into buying after being miserably broke. Sad
lys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Genet, how much (in USD) does a typical book come to with shipping from Honto? Kinokuniya (US-based) currently charges $6.60 for a ¥400 book and they've had a free-shipping-any-size-order day or weekend every month since November, so it's been really easy to keep up with new releases, and they ship pretty fast too! (I usually get things they don't have in stock, but even then it takes like a week for them to get it, and then two days for shipping—from NY to MI.)

I used to order from CDJapan and use their cheapest SAL shipping. But the exchange rate and shipping prices got too high... Maybe they're better again now, but it's too late: I've been spoiled by the quick shipping from Kino :)
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Genet, how much (in USD) does a typical book come to with shipping from Honto? Kinokuniya (US-based) currently charges $6.60 for a ¥400 book and they've had a free-shipping-any-size-order day or weekend every month since November, so it's been really easy to keep up with new releases, and they ship pretty fast too! (I usually get things they don't have in stock, but even then it takes like a week for them to get it, and then two days for shipping—from NY to MI.)

I used to order from CDJapan and use their cheapest SAL shipping. But the exchange rate and shipping prices got too high... Maybe they're better again now, but it's too late: I've been spoiled by the quick shipping from Kino Smile

Honto sells for the sticker price. (I also don't pay tax on it because I'm not in Japan) Free shipping from kinokuniya though- they did NOT have that when I was ordering a while back and looking for a place...hmmm...sounds pretty alright and possibly like it could come out to about honto's prices. Honto does have a much better selection, but Kinokuniya being in the US would make everything much quicker. Tough call.

An order I did not too long ago, I got 10 shounen-sized tankobans for 3900Y base price (390 each), then I paid about 1800Y for shipping via SAL. Definitely not bad. IIRC, it took about 2 or 3 weeks to get here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10