• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Expands to Australia and New Zealand

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Please don't mock people. If they look silly to you, let them be silly. No need to try and humiliate them yourself in front of everyone. -TK]
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
championferret wrote:
Does anyone know if Tokyopop/Funimation ever announced exactly what titles they would be releasing?

Same question, actually, and I would be interestedin the price point. I have a friend in NZ that I've sent manga to because it's around $50 there for what you can get $20 here.

Great leaping space monkeys, that's insane. I also think $20 is a bit too pricey, which is why I only ever buy manga from Kinokuniya where you can get the US releases in a price range between $11-$17.
Anyway, they mentioned Princess Ai and some OEL like Peach Fuzz, but no news of what the other 24 titles are...
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Well it's nice to see that YOU have a very interesting command of the English language yourself, my friend if you have to resort to swearing at somebody [even when censored] just because Kami Sama forbid, they dared to put across an opinion that YOU didn't like!

1) It was meant as a movie reference. Samuel L Jackson. Watch more.
2) It's okay, you can say "God" here. We're all (supposed to be) adults.
3) I like how you make the crack about the opinion and then the rest of your post is you flaming me for having an opinion different than you. "God, Anal Retentive morons.." lol irony
BorgmanJayce wrote:
HURRRRRRRR I AM SUPERIOR HURRRRRR

I'll ignore the Death note thing since I'm fairly certain it's flamebait.
I did not say that all Manga is golden, or all OEL is crap. If you want to go with percentages, I'd say Manga/Manwha is JUST BARELY ahead.

Reguarding your entry into the RSoM competition, if you actually put EFFORT into your work, I'll read it. But not bullshit pulled straight from the current popular meme or tripe that wouldn't challenge a 3rd grader (MAIL ORDER NINJA LOL)
I dislike most OEL manga because it blatantly tries to copy manga elements and doesn't even work
Bizenghast is something I read in the store and never read again. Art was bad, the story was shoddily designed, and I'd mention the incredible ego of the author, but thankfully she didn't actually say that, TP just 'paraphrased' it.
Midnight Opera I've already covered. It's a livejournal in paper form.

Does it get through to you on your high horse why I don't like OEL manga? It doesn't even try most of the time. MBQ doesn't try to copy Monster-Of-The-Day or anything. it just does what it wants.
Van Von Hunter I have not been able to read (The store I go to never seems to have copies in) but a friend whom I trust has said that it's very good, so I'll take his word on that and get it when I can.

JUST for the sake of argument, I'll give a few manga titles that suck.

Rizelmine is 'lol romantic comedy!!!!!!' except with a loli. Everything that it tried to do has already been done better. That and the whole thing about Rizel looking like an 8 year old creeps me the hell out.

Samural Champloo (manga) doesn't have half of the style the anime does, and without the funky animation and hip-hop music, it just becomes a waste of paper.

You can find a lot more shit manga if you read through the reviews. Tough comes to mind.

tl;dr: OEL manga is shit when the artists don't put effort into it and just copypaste from elsewhere. There are good OEL and crap manga.

Let's see where I can start to your [sarcasm]totally amazing post...[/sarcasm]

1) Yes I know who Samuel L. Jackson is and yes, I do watch movies on a regular basis... In fact, I recommend that you go and watch "The 51st State" as I believe it's Mr Jackson's finest movie yet... [Of course I'm biased seeing as it's set in my home city of Liverpool! Very Happy] and please forgive me for not being exactly au fait with what you previously said with the movie quote by Mr Jackson... *said in a sarcastic manner just in case he doesn't get sarcasm*
2) Where did you get the idea from that I'm superior to you? *Noticed this person seems to have a thing against him considering he said something just as idiotic in another thread*

As for Death Note, I was just stating my honest-to-God opinion about it because frankly I can't understand why it's so bloody popular considering there's much better manga out there published by Viz like Claymore, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Midori Days and Saikano!

As for the RSOM thing, I am going to put 200% effort into it especially as I hope to work with a very talented person that I know to have them do the art while I work on the story side of things...

I read a preview of Mail Order Ninja and I found it to be quite an enjoyable read myself, same with Dramacon...

BTW, FYI I do read reviews and I also decide to buy what I want to buy just on instinct as well a lot of the time which is why I don't like Death Note because a) It's overhyped and b) I definitely couldn't get into it!

Oh, and I also forgot, if the manga version of Death Note is bad, I'd hate to see what the live-action version is going to be like...

Oh, one more thing... Please kindly stop putting words into my quotes as you remind me a lot of that idiotic loser, steventheeunuch due to the way the both of you act and I can't believe I forgot that you're the idiot who made a fool out of himself in the way that you wanted people to boycott ADV just because the ARIA manga was supposedly cancelled by their Manga division even though there's been no news as to whether it's been cancelled or put on hold... Look at me, I'm not complaining because the English version of certain manga by them like Louie the Rune Soldier and Gamerz's Heaven have been put on hold because there's loads of other manga I can read like Ai Yori Aoshi, Negima and Genshiken to keep me going whereas your obsession over ARIA scares the hell out of me... There is a difference you know between being a devoted fan of a manga and being an obsessive Otaku with you coming across as being the lattter, in my opinion!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Oh, one more thing... Please kindly stop putting words into my quotes as you remind me a lot of that idiotic loser, steventheeunuch due to the way the both of you act and I can't believe I forgot that you're the idiot who made a fool out of himself in the way that you wanted people to boycott ADV just because the ARIA manga was supposedly cancelled by their Manga division even though there's been no news as to whether it's been cancelled or put on hold...

This doesn't even make any sense man. It's like you wanted to speak ill of me but couldn't figure out how so you just stuck with 'idiotic loser'. Pretty bland, man!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Both of you cut it out. Now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NZbeedee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
championferret wrote:
Does anyone know if Tokyopop/Funimation ever announced exactly what titles they would be releasing?

Same question, actually, and I would be interestedin the price point. I have a friend in NZ that I've sent manga to because it's around $50 there for what you can get $20 here.

I don't know what they've been buying but Tokyopop manga here averages $NZ25. That doesn't become $50 in any first-world countries I know of.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
NZbeedee wrote:
Lyrai wrote:
championferret wrote:

I don't know what they've been buying but Tokyopop manga here averages $NZ25. That doesn't become $50 in any first-world countries I know of.

Lemme see here:

NZ$ 1 = $0.6305 USD

NZ$50 = $31.50 USD

Aside from maybe a few DVD's and a couple of artbooks, I don't recall any Tokyopop product that costs $31.50.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Another thing I wondered from this, if their partnering with Funtastic, does this mean that manga will be released in Australia in more 'regular' bookstores? Currently to my knowledge it's only stocked in comic shops, Electronics Boutique, and large bookstores such as Borders (whose prices are highway robbery) and Kinokuniya.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
I didn't start with the insults, blame Lyrai as he was the one who started it!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

*Thinks Steven should grow up as he's about as funny as bubonic plague and wonders if it's a crime to express a certain opinion about a certain manga*
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Confused...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

I don't give a flying rat's ass who started it. When I tell you to can it, you can it. That means no excuse, no whining, and no turning it into the blame game to save face.

If you really wanted to save face, you'd have alerted a mod to it in private from the very start, not thrown on intarweb battle armor and jumped straight into the fray. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2