• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Great defense. "It's just people being butthurt, but if you go anywhere else people are accepting of sub-standard stuff".

"My opinion is the only one and the soul guiding force for what constitutes a good anime"

Right? That's the vibe you just gave off. Looks to me like the attitude in here is whoever is the loudest and most obnoxious about their reaction carries the day. I'd almost swear it's 2008 again and I'm back to watching Code Geass and everyone freaking the fudge out. Yet guess who are the ones claiming the maturity high ground here. Confused

Some of the reviews are fine criticisms that as I said I'm sure most people would have no trouble understanding (the OP is one of those), others are just being not-so-nice-people about this. you and Tuor of Gondolin are among the latter if it wasn't clear already.

The term is milquetoast by the way not milk toast. Laughing
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't really impressed with anything but the art, as the plot and characters seemed to come right out of Planet Trope, but then the end of the episode happened... I'm willing to stick around just to see what that's all about.

And if anything, I'm impressed that spoiler[Okouchi managed to kill off one of the better characters in Valvrave before Urobutcher killed off anyone in Gargantia... that is, if she's really dead...]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Really dude? I'm starting to wonder what's up with ANN and being filled with so many people that make obnoxious posts like this where they try to speak for others and put others down. I simply see no reason for this sort of response to what seems like a fairly innocuous question, but it sure speaks to the type of "fans" this thread is filled with right now. No wonder the guy would pop such a question when people speak this much out of hyperbole and obvious butthurt.

Seriously? It wasn't *painfully* obvious that I was just teasing him (or her)? Gosh, I'm sorry. Maybe I should've labelled it "teasing" or something, since I guess it is too much to hope that other people have that thing called a sense of humor.

Oh, and let me fix something with what I just said. I'm not sorry. I thought it was funny. Still do. Too bad if you don't agree. If Beltane him/her-self asks me for an apology I'd probably comply, but that person didn't complain, so *maybe* he/she understands I was just messing around.

Sheesh. How's that high horse treating you? Don't fall off.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Looks to me like the attitude in here is whoever is the loudest and most obnoxious about their reaction carries the day.
Just a quick heads-up about internet forums. The day is never carried.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Great defense. "It's just people being butthurt, but if you go anywhere else people are accepting of sub-standard stuff".

"My opinion is the only one and the soul guiding force for what constitutes a good anime"

Right? That's the vibe you just gave off. Looks to me like the attitude in here is whoever is the loudest and most obnoxious about their reaction carries the day. I'd almost swear it's 2008 again and I'm back to watching Code Geass and everyone freaking the fudge out. Yet guess who are the ones claiming the maturity high ground here. Confused

Some of the reviews are fine criticisms that as I said I'm sure most people would have no trouble understanding (the OP is one of those), others are just being not-so-nice-people about this. you and Tuor of Gondolin are among the latter if it wasn't clear already.

The term is milquetoast by the way not milk toast. Laughing
Ironic considering that really no one is throwing generalizations at the peeps liking this show or trying to put down their opinions into some category so that they can be disregarded.

Quote:
Right? That's the vibe you just gave off.
And what vibe did you give off? "Don't listen to these naysayers because they are just being stuffy'"? But here I won't actually try and say why the show is ok, just attempt to disregard these other people by claiming they are butthurt? Are they butthurt? They seem to be able to tell you why they think this show sucks, unlike you.

Quote:
Looks to me like the attitude in here is whoever is the loudest and most obnoxious about their reaction carries the day.
Yep, because giving reasons for your opinion is being obnoxious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Just a quick heads-up about internet forums. The day is never carried.

All too true. Good point Laughing
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Really dude? I'm starting to wonder what's up with ANN and being filled with so many people that make obnoxious posts like this where they try to speak for others and put others down. I simply see no reason for this sort of response to what seems like a fairly innocuous question, but it sure speaks to the type of "fans" this thread is filled with right now. No wonder the guy would pop such a question when people speak this much out of hyperbole and obvious butthurt.

Seriously? It wasn't *painfully* obvious that I was just teasing him (or her)? Gosh, I'm sorry. Maybe I should've labelled it "teasing" or something, since I guess it is too much to hope that other people have that thing called a sense of humor.

Oh, and let me fix something with what I just said. I'm not sorry. I thought it was funny. Still do. Too bad if you don't agree. If Beltane him/her-self asks me for an apology I'd probably comply, but that person didn't complain, so *maybe* he/she understands I was just messing around.

Sheesh. How's that high horse treating you? Don't fall off.

No worries, Tuor, I totally understood that you were teasing!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
that mechca is pretty bad ass mecha, but it overheat too quick.
I love shows that ANN users hate. Just like SAO, i will continue to watch this show.
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
So, wait, I'm I just about the only person that actually liked Valvrave?

No the thread is just filled with the more butthurt mecha fans and people that planned on trashing it to begin with.

I don't see why anyone would plan on trashing it from the start? everyone clearly took the time to watch the show and give their honest opinion. I imagine for a lot of people this was their first taste of Valrave with no prior preconceptions.

Quote:
If you go pretty much anywhere else on the internet it's getting a lot of chatter and people speculating on the direction of where things will go. Most people anywhere will admit it was a pretty standard mecha opener in terms of the progression of events give or take some cues and scenes and how that can be a little disappointing but there's less of ranting and raving attitude overall.

This is not anywhere else and certain groups and communities always have differing opinions, it's the beauty of being human: we all have different views.

Also I don't understand why you think you speak for most people? if you think it's a standard opener that's fair, it's also your personal opinion. Up until you entered the topic I didn't see any ranting or raving, just people giving their honest appraisal, which didn't conform to your own opinion, so you proceeded to ride into town and shoot up the place.

Quote:

Personally I really want to see the next episode to see where they take it.

I'm also interested to see where the next episode goes, but overall I was not impressed by the first episode. This is my legitimate and truthful opinion based on what I saw.

Cheers.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
@Kaioshin_Sama;

The number of people who actually "hate" the show in the exact manner you describe probably isn't very large here.

I get the feeling that most, including myself, simply aren't impressed nor particularly interested for any number of reasons.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

But I do feel like I'd regret watching it. I couldn't stand Code Geass and only watched the first half of Guilty Crown. This guy just doesn't seem able to give me shows I can genuinely enjoy.

Then, to quote that infamous Japanese phrase...it can't be helped, since I'd say the show is sitting squarely in the middle of those, at least in my opinion, and I say that as someone who did like the first series you've mentioned but not the second. I would like to add that Guilty Crown was primarily written by another person who isn't even working on this project though, which is always a difference worth considering for those who care about the details.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
yeah, some of us got the joke Tuor, just not the one it was directed at. [bl edit:[/b] oh wait, it wasn't even the target of the joke that didn't get it. lol

Anyways, though I quite liked this so far, I'm not 'freaking the fudge out' over it. It pushed a bunch of my buttons, but I recognize thay they are more subjective than most.

Last edited by Galap on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't a huge fan of the first episode, but...

Even though I knew about it beforehand, the whole spoiler[space vampire] thing at the end is so silly and out there that I just have to give this another episode at least. Plus I'm kind of curious as to whether spoiler[Shoko is really dead, though the fact that she was the most likable and interesting character in my view makes things not so bright looking if she really is dead.]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Anyways, though I quite liked this so far, I'm not 'freaking the fudge out' over it. It pushed a bunch of my buttons, but I recognize thay they are more subjective than most.

Mine got pushed, too. While I'm not blown away in awe, I believe this could be really entertaining. The motivation of the protagonist was ... well, let's skip that, they didn't bother too much with providing us (me, at least) with a lot of emotional investment in any of the characters or their decisions and tragedies so far, but I liked the big "see how epic our story is" entrance, the music, the completely over-the-top-crazy twist - I can see me enjoying this, depending on the course over the next 2-3 episodes.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'll give this one another episode or two to see where it goes with what happened at the end, before I make any firm decision on whether I'm in or out. My complaints against it thus far could be summed up as, they should have just skipped straight to the scene where spoiler[the MC gets temporarily murdered]. The context the rest of this episode established was already self-explanatory due to the type of show this is, so for me personally, everything up to that point was just tedious, predictable, and entirely superfluous.

I fully recognize that it's really my own fault for checking it out, which places my opinion about it on the same level as that of someone watching Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride only to bawl their head off about the fanservice. However, because it still managed to intrigue me enough to give it a few more episodes, I think it might be interesting to have my initial impression on record in the event that it has me won over a few weeks from now. Otherwise, I will try not to get in the way of those who would prefer to enjoy and discuss this show in peace.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
The hero is not all that interesting and his viewpoint (as well as that of our apparently-redistributionist villains) is presented rather hamfistedly. I like the idea of the Dyson sphere setting (though the jury's out on the execution until I see more of how those colony blocks function). The character designs appeal to me, as do the enemy mechs and spaceships. (Valvrave itself is an overdesigned mess, though.) Since it's at least trying to play things seriously, though, I'll take this over Majestic Prince any day of the week.

I doubt seriously that spoiler[the girl is dead. The shot clearly missed, so I'm guessing she was blown into the car, which rolled away with her inside. Any way, comics taught me long ago, "Never believe it if there isn't a body."]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 32