• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ar-moe-geddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Open question: why are you ignoring that some of us, like myself, Fencedude, HitokiriShadow, etc, are moe fans? It's entirely possible to like some of the same anime you do, experience the same social forces, and yet disagree with you. Also, it was certain comments in this thread that forced the conversation--not ours and others' reaction to them.

I'm talking, very specifically, about the set of all moe fans who use moe as a coping mechanism because they're unlucky in real-life love. Not as general as "all moe fans," and not as specific as "all moe fans who use moe as a coping mechanism because they're unlucky in real-life love due to being horrible misogynists."

I realize that a lot of us enjoy similar media, and a lot of us experience the same social forces, though perhaps in different ways, creating different perspectives. I welcome this, because that's how discussion happens. I just think that the focus on misogyny is reductive and simplistic compared to the discussion I've been trying to have.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If i do recall there was one episode of the talk where woman where laughing and cheering for the fact some guy's Johnson got chopped off. To add even more insult it was thrown garbage disposal then turned on and chop to bits because the guy asked for divorce.

Oh for shit's sake. A woman on TV made a joke in poor taste and then apologized for it. That's really the best example you can come up with of "misandry"? And the joke is not even relevant to fujoshi or anime fandom.

Timeenforceranubis wrote:
I'm talking, very specifically, about the set of all moe fans who use moe as a coping mechanism because they're unlucky in real-life love. [...]I realize that a lot of us enjoy similar media, and a lot of us experience the same social forces, though perhaps in different ways, creating different perspectives. I welcome this, because that's how discussion happens. I just think that the focus on misogyny is reductive and simplistic compared to the discussion I've been trying to have.

I don't think you can define the parameters of the discussion to only include the good elements. Especially when the negative ones are here, discussing it with us. You may have other intentions for the conversation, but they forced it this direction.

My personal view is, as long as you're not harming another person, do whatever you want---I'll strive to respect and be nice to you and hopefully we can all get along. Not everyone feels that way though, and sometimes you have to do a bit of triage.

Part of this is, I think, how you *framed* the discussion as combating social injustice--moe fans are not oppressed or discriminated against nor are males who desire companionship but for whatever reason can't get it. That doesn't mean your feelings don't matter nor does that give others a moral right to make fun of you. And it definitely doesn't give others a right to tell you to go kill yourself (even in jest).

I guess I don't understand what you want out of this conversation. Yeah, sometimes Zac is a dick to moe fans. Sometimes moe fans are a dick to him. I wish we could all learn to respect one another, but I can't ignore the faults of my own side either.

Last edited by Draneor on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If i do recall there was one episode of the talk where woman where laughing and cheering for the fact some guy's Johnson got chopped off. To add even more insult it was thrown garbage disposal then turned on and chop to bits because the guy asked for divorce.

Oh for shit's sake. A woman on TV made a joke in poor taste and then apologized for it. That's really the best example you can come up with of "misandry"? And the joke is not even relevant to fujoshi or anime fandom.

Timeenforceranubis wrote:
I'm talking, very specifically, about the set of all moe fans who use moe as a coping mechanism because they're unlucky in real-life love. [...]I realize that a lot of us enjoy similar media, and a lot of us experience the same social forces, though perhaps in different ways, creating different perspectives. I welcome this, because that's how discussion happens. I just think that the focus on misogyny is reductive and simplistic compared to the discussion I've been trying to have.

I don't think you can define the parameters of the discussion to only include the good elements. Especially when the negative ones are here, discussing it with us. You may have other intentions for the conversation, but they forced it this direction.

My personal view is, as long as you're not harming another person, do whatever you want---I'll strive to respect and be nice to you and hopefully we can all get along. Not everyone feels that way though, and sometimes you have to do a bit of triage.

Part of this is, I think, how you *framed* the discussion as combating social injustice--moe fans are not oppressed or discriminated against nor are males who desire companionship but for whatever reason can't get it. That doesn't mean you feelings don't matter nor does that give others a moral right to make fun of you.

I guess I don't understand what you want out of this conversation. Yeah, sometimes Zac is a dick to moe fans. Sometimes moe fans are a dick to him. I wish we could all learn to respect one another, but I can't ignore the faults of my own side either.

It doesn't matter that is still no funny to me nor did I believe her apology. She only did that because she forced to but that doesn't change or views or sense of humor on the issue. I also know it's irrelevant to issue at hand, if we really want current issue head over the swimming free thread and see all the butt-hurt/tears for kyonai choosing to make the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Dear crazy person,

I'm fine with you vomiting your socially backwards paleolithic garbage all over the place - I've let even more idiotic nonsense slide before, often from you - but the minute you get into calling another user "sweetie" and "princess" in a condescending manner simply because you know she's a woman is where I have to draw the line on your out-of-control sexism.

Knock it off or you're out of here again. Calm down.

Now now Sensei I would've thought any feminist worth her salt would've seen "Sweetie" as hyperbole and as invitation to say in a verbal way "Lets Dance". If was going to be intentionally a jerk I'd have called "Her" Dude, Bro, Home-boy, Chief...ect. I kept it female.

You never said "boo" about all the accusations I made about your own world view - I.E. your love of being entertained by "Stressed Out" women or melodramatic tales of females or dramatic reality show-situations...but I jibe at a person who openly cheers on the "Social Shaming" others and I get a "white knight" flag & warning??

I swear I will never understand this site or it's participants. This is the type of "Intervention" and Ham-Handed picking & choosing of who breaths & who is silenced I spoke of in my first post in this thread.

I've always said this is YOUR Playground Zac & I think you've made MY Point for me. Stick up for "Social Shaming" all you like - I am simply one person with 1 opinion in a free society. Do as you will Sir.

UNLESS...maybe I'm not even a Guy. What if I'm actually a female who happens to be Bi & actually likes Moe for the same reason Males do...hmmm. I've mentioned Sankaku & Cosplay Deviants before- maybe I'm "something" entirely Different? Maybe I'll post a pic of myself. Could I actually be a "female"....imagine that.

How many "Macho Moe guys" can sling Feminist theory & debate about female POV's with the nimbleness that I've displayed...would a real guy be THIS "ham handed"? How much does anyone know about "me" really?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I kind of love that Sterling here keeps using words and phrases in quotes. As if he's not entirely sure what they mean (Quite likely).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
Could I actually be a "female"....imagine that.

Unless you're transgendered - and I kinda doubt that - then no, you're not female. Not with a name like "Roger Sterling" and possessing the attitude you've displayed thus far.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
Zac wrote:

Dear crazy person,

I'm fine with you vomiting your socially backwards paleolithic garbage all over the place - I've let even more idiotic nonsense slide before, often from you - but the minute you get into calling another user "sweetie" and "princess" in a condescending manner simply because you know she's a woman is where I have to draw the line on your out-of-control sexism.

Knock it off or you're out of here again. Calm down.

Now now Sensei I would've thought any feminist worth her salt would've seen "Sweetie" as hyperbole and as invitation to say in a verbal way "Lets Dance". If was going to be intentionally a jerk I'd have called "Her" Dude, Bro, Home-boy, Chief...ect. I kept it female.

You never said "boo" about all the accusations I made about your own world view - I.E. your love of being entertained by "Stressed Out" women or melodramatic tales of females or dramatic reality show-situations...but I jibe at a person who openly cheers on the "Social Shaming" others and I get a "white knight" flag & warning??

I swear I will never understand this site or it's participants. This is the type of "Intervention" and Ham-Handed picking & choosing of who breaths & who is silenced I spoke of in my first post in this thread.

I've always said this is YOUR Playground Zac & I think you've made MY Point for me. Stick up for "Social Shaming" all you like - I am simply one person with 1 opinion in a free society. Do as you will Sir.

UNLESS...maybe I'm not even a Guy. What if I'm actually a female who happens to be Bi & actually likes Moe for the same reason Males do...hmmm. I've mentioned Sankaku & Cosplay Deviants before- maybe I'm "something" entirely Different? Maybe I'll post a pic of myself. Could I actually be a "female"....imagine that.

How many "Macho Moe guys" can sling Feminist theory & debate about female POV's with the nimbleness that I've displayed...would a real guy be THIS "ham handed"? How much does anyone know about "me" really?

If you are actually female and can prove it I will reveal to /ann/ something I've never told my own family members.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:

*cough*bullshit*cough

RogerSterling wrote:

I honestly don't know how to respond to this with anything other than:

RogerSterling wrote:

breaths?

RogerSterling wrote:

Here's a newsflash sonny, you have the right to be a sexist pig, on the internet or otherwise. However, Zac, and everyone else here also has the right to call you an A-hole and a troll and to ban you if you're too much of a dick to the other members here. If it were me, you'd have been banned for that last post, free speech or no.

RogerSterling wrote:

yeeeaaahhh, no. While there are certainly female anti-feminist and misogynists out there, your posts remind me heavily of the a person I disagree with politically and loveshy quotes I see on FSTDT all the time. You seem to have issues with women, sexually liberated women in particular.

RogerSterling wrote:

1: macho, HA
2:you don't know the first thing about feminist theory, also, you know that your ego can't actually ejaculate, right? might wanna stop stroking it before you hurt yourself.
3: yes, yes they would be. or are those rape and death threats sent to Anita Sarkeesian done by "undercover females" as well?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
]

You have a hug pillow with me on it, don't you?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:

Except, Zac is just responding to the many complaints and reports he gets every time you post one of your diatribes.

-though not from me, since I think your diatribes are freaking hilarious. (in the way watching primates sling poo at each other is hilarious Smile )

In fact, Zac is actually being quite generous in letting your posts stay up there instead of just, you know, deleting them.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You have a hug pillow with me on it, don't you?

Might be a good idea for a ANN store. Smile There could be a whole line of Zac goods.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
For example, I use searchable archives to look at 4chan so I don't have to wade through crap about "bitches and whores" when I just want to talk to my fellow T&B fans about how Barnaby is really awesome. Don't shrug and go "lol 4chan" either. 4chan is one of the few Barnaby-positive places on the English-speaking web. Why should I have to avoid it because people are jerks?

Same reason I avoid tumblr when it comes to my shows, because I know it's a site that is primarily inhabited by the opposite sex. Talking about Fujoshi series on /a/ is akin to me going into a fujoshi club and wondering why people all talk about yaoi and bishounen and complaining because I have to put up with it. Different communities have different people.

Draneor wrote:
Do I seriously need to quote myself from a couple pages back: "Like, no offense, but they've been a few raging misogynists moe fans in this thread. I happen to think they are in the minority... but I also filter them out of my life so my experience is biased."

That's not really specific.

Quote:
Here's the thing. I don't care what the percentage is because they happen to be rather loud.

So an entire group should be held accountable for the actions of a few, is what you're saying, solely because you feel that way.

Quote:
When loud misogynist voices dominate the discussion, it can discourage some of them from participating. Which, to a large extent, is one of their goals. I'm not comfortable with that being the case in anime fandom. So it must be opposed.

Does that mean I can jump over to Tumblr and start and anti-fujoshi brigade because there's too much BL/yaoi stuff on there and it's discouraging to men who post there? How about instead I act like an adult and let them do what they want because that's clearly their community and I have no right to change them for my own petty whims and desires? It's not like there isn't thousands of other sites I could go to instead. Just avoid the ones that are clearly not in the same hobbies as you are. Lots of otaku sites, lots of fujoshi sites, live and let live and all that.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad TitanXL has decided ANN forums, 4-chan, and the rest of the internet are for men and women get tumblr.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Does that mean I can jump over to Tumblr and start and anti-fujoshi brigade because there's too much BL/yaoi stuff on there and it's discouraging to men who post there?

>no moe on Tumblr

musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Same reason I avoid tumblr when it comes to my shows, because I know it's a site that is primarily inhabited by the opposite sex. Talking about Fujoshi series on /a/ is akin to me going into a fujoshi club and wondering why people all talk about yaoi and bishounen and complaining because I have to put up with it. Different communities have different people.

Okay, I'm going to explain this in small words, because you seem to need a little help.

1. The reason I avoid UNFILTERED /a/ is NOT because they are talking about shows that don't interest me.
2. The reason I avoid UNFILTERED /a/ is because I don't like reading about how I am a "slut", "whore", or "landwhale".
3. The reason I BROWSE /a/ filtered is because there are a lot of fans of a favorite character of mine that gets crapped on in most places outside of /a/.
4. Therefore I have a reason to want to browse /a/.
5. But I do not want to be insulted.
6. Insults are rude.
7. Talking about BL series on tumblr is not rude.
8. Because you are not being insulted just because the topic of conversation isn't interesting to you.
9. The fact that you seem to think these two things are comparable is absolutely hilarious.
10. The fact that you think "misogyny" is part of an internet culture that should be protected is ridiculous.
11. Please don't make any more "comparisons".
12. You are really bad at them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 77