• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Still Churning Battle Angel Rumor Mill

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote=Cameron]"There's a series of 10 graphic novels, the original 10, by a Japanese artist named [Yukito] Kishiro."[/quote]

Well, technically there are nine, unless you count the bland Motorball Diaries volume Kishiro did as well. And of course he's not counting the recent "Last Order" sequel.

But come on, Cameron, either do this or don't do it. You've had your fun with your Titanic documentaries. Now please get back to making movies instead of hyping them to high heaven.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I like the header for the news item. It shows that even ANN doesn't believe Cameron's actually going to do it. Laughing

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, the movie could certainly happen, but so far Cameron seems more interested in talking about Battle Angel than actually making it.
Nightfall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah well I guess he's still living off the royalties for both Titanic and the Terminator movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
If he's actually going to do this, I'd wish that he would just start already. I want the anime re-released.
Nightfall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
If he's actually going to do this, I'd wish that he would just start already. I want the anime re-released.

Did they ever show it in the US?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, i watched it on VHS. It was really cool piece of work. Don't know if theres a DVD though. Or even of there is one on the cards anymore....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
tekwych

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
A casting call for Project 880 went out this month so there is movement on that front. If you read the original interview though it becomes unsure if he means to shoot the P880 film, see if it flies, then shoot 2 more P880 films and THEN move to BA or shoot the first film in each trilogy then come back to the one that does better.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
anime rereleased? shoot, i want a whole new anime series ALA GITS:SAC

blood, gore intrigue, depth of characters! bring it all on!

i once read a chat dialogue where some guy loved the anime a heck lot, but refused to read the manga

i ran out of words to say to this
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The tech-minded Cameron added that although he watched with great interest as "Sin City" filmmaker Robert Rodriguez reinvented the graphic-novel movie with his green-screen breakthroughs, "Angel" won't be such a slave to the colored page

"The colored page" isn't exactly the perfect choice of terminology in this particular case...
Raimaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote
supposedly he is gonna make a movie called avatar witch is somewhat space themed first then i think like by 2009 he will have completed alita
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:02 am Reply with quote
He says he's making it a trilogy, and that it's one of two trilogies (or something like that). I think we need to remember the old adage:

"Don't count your chickens before they're hatched".

Also as others have noted, he sure talks about this planned film a lot. This may or may not be an indication that the film may not be as good as it's made out to be, but that's just conjecture. In any event, that casting call he gave months ago could easily describe any "sexy action hero" in any such movie (especially movies that rely less on actual plot and more on the lead actress's appeal to the [with all due respect] hormonally frustrated 18-24 year old male viewers), leading to the possibility of Battle Angel [Alita] (AKA: GUNNM) being another generic action film that hopes people won't know the difference, or in an anime industry context, takes advantage of the mainstream viewers' ignorance; take your pick. From what I understand, the Aeon Flux movie (to use a non-anime related example) "tanked" as it were.

While most of what I have said is just conjecture, I must nonetheless point out that the corporate film industry has this really bad tendency to take production pitches and change them into their own idea of what "makes" a movie, and it is my personal, honest, unbiased opinion that despite claims to the contrary, I really don't think that James Cameron, the "King of the World", who'll "be back" knows what he is talking about.

I'm sorry if the above has offended anybody, but that's just how I feel about it.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
I hope nobody is forgetting that Cameron has not made a real movie in almost 10 years now (I do not count his documentaries as "film"). When you're a billionaire, what's the incentive to make a movie, or to have any urgency. While he's sitting around he's not getting any younger. At this rate he will be dead before he gets even ONE trilogy out Exclamation At least George Lucas finished what he started, even though he was semi-retired as a director for 16 years Wink whether you like the prequels or not. I do not understand writers or filmmakers or musicians that bide their time for YEARS between projects. I thought in other interviews he said that Alita was years away already anyway? So this doesn't sound like anything new. I'll believe this movie will be filmed the day he starts filming.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
Y'know, i'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm willing to bet that Cameron has lost the rights to the film and is trying hard to get them back. He's just doing this to deflect whatever negative press might pop out, or the poerty rights owner is just making him do this as some sort of "payment" deal.

"Ah yes, the BAA movie is gonna be starting sometime in 2007, and we'll start filming it!!"

"Dang it, i'll offer you $30 million, cash!! WHAT?!?! You want 30% royalty rights??"
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Y'know, i'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm willing to bet that Cameron has lost the rights to the film and is trying hard to get them back.

I'm willing to bet that even if he were to make the movie, I would not go see it because all he's doing is stalling for time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2