• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - ADV, Unreleased

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokikoMima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Mike, I have to cheer you for mentioning "Sol Bianca". It is and always will be a classic hyperspace-girls-with-guns anime, and deserves a watch from any true anime fan. I did like "Legacy", especially the English voices for Jun and April -- Bridget Hoffman and Wendee Lee -- but it didn't hold a candle to the original, despite ADV Film's less-than-spectacular-at-times dubbing. Again, kudos for shouting out to the White Sun, the first title I thought of when I read your article title -- and the one I was proudest to see in its content.
inuhime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I would love to get Fire Tripper on DVD, along with Laughing Target.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
AkiraKaneda wrote:
The one movie that got to VHS but never DVD that I still long for is Robot Carnival. That's Streamline, of course, not ADV, but it was a superb film for its time. It was also my first post-Robotech introduction to anime. It already has a dub, there's not much dialogue to sub...the only issues it has is that 1) it's old, 2) it's a collection of short films, and 3) those short films are of varied quality. While it's relatively easy to find a good copy out in the ether of the Internet, I would definitely buy a copy on DVD. In fact, it's one of the few films I'd purchase in a deluxe edition.

I thought this was released but its just extremely rare.

I performed searches on DVD Price Search and The Right Stuf International, and they turned up nothing.

The Wikipedia article reminds me that Super Techno Arts planned to release it, but like most of STA's plans that never happened.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I've noticed that Dragon Century is getting mentioned. I mean was this film actually released here? See it's one of those really obscure titles kind of like some of the titles that US Rendition released way back when like Orguss (which I was shocked it made it here). But Dragon Century? Hell, that must've been a secret acquisition. Now that's a title I would love to own. I'm surprised at some of the old titles that actually either made it here or on some list of supposedly considered.

Here's a list of old anime that I would like to see released on DVD.
Dragon Century
Devilman features
Dragon's Heaven (y'know the one that has a touch of Moebius).

Does anyone know what ADVs adult label was. I know they did have one and which titles were published under that heading.

Dude, I didn't know you're a Dragon Century fan too. That's awesome! :D

To answer your question, yes it was released here, but as I said, in limited VHS copies. I managed to acquire two of them, but sent one of them to a person who later turned out to be an ungrateful wretch who will probably never send it back to me (a mistake I will never stop regretting).
toddc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I hunted down a VHS of Dragon Century a few years ago, during my "I must watch everything that involved Sho/Noboru Aikawa" period. It seems pretty rare now, outside of the usual overpriced Amazon sellers.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I find that Amazon still sells VHS copies of Dragoon. Dubbed in English. I'll have to see if they have the English-language dub credits, so I can pass the information on to the ANN encyclopedia.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Sol Bianca did get a DVD release over here by Kiseki, but it was sub-only (and hard subbed at that) and basically a direct dump of the VHS masters with some textual extras.

jr0904 wrote:
Well pioneer did do a DVD release of soul bianca i was lucky enough to get them.

I'll just quote the article here.. "I'm not talking about the 3-part digitally-animated OVAs that came out from Pioneer"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Yeah, I hunted down a VHS of Dragon Century a few years ago, during my "I must watch everything that involved Sho/Noboru Aikawa" period. It seems pretty rare now, outside of the usual overpriced Amazon sellers.

I'm seeing some copies on Amazon right now, but for some reason the reviews are for the wrong anime on that page.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I've just added my UK DVD to the database. It is region 0, albeit in PAL and... I'd forgotten just how far off base the copy on the back was ^^;

Now to track down the US tapes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4