• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, June 2-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
ashura zoldyck wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
Most probably One Piece will come first like always doesn't matter how many volumes it releases it has a big advantage against Attack on Titan. Actually all series in the top 10 have an advantage against Attack on Titan. Most of us want to see a challenge this year but even if Attack on Titan gets second place its a big achievement for a monthly series.

not really, i mean attack on titan is gonna have released 3 volumes this year just like one piece, most series release 3 to sometimes 4 volumes a year

Actually I think most weekly manga release 4-5 volumes a year.
One Piece - 4 volumes
Magi - 4/5 volumes
Kuroko no Basket - 5 volumes
Naruto - 4/5 volumes

Hunter x Hunter is the only special case

One piece may release volume 72 in December which will make only 3 volumes count this year + volume 68 which has a lot of sales because it was released in November last year.

When I said Attack on Titan being in the top 10 is a very good achievement is not because of the amount of volumes it releases a year but because of the amount of chapters it releases. Attack on Titan has 12 chapters a year. Weekly manga have 52 chapters a year. Its usually easier for people to follow weekly manga closely then following monthly manga. Which is why overall weekly manga is more popular.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow Sankarea 1st week sales are quite bad,,, maybe this week sales will be better though.
Also Shokugeki 2nd vol 1st week sales are much more better than the sales for the 1st one.
Sakamoto is still there, who know for how long.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Whats this nonsense?

Shingeki is awesome, but its blinding you, dont lose ground, if fans are losing it, I hope the mangaka does not... its selling on par only with Naruto and then some more.

You cannot compare shingeki 1-1.3 million sales per volume against One Piece 3-4 million, you want accumulative sales? Not even in manga... One Piece cannot be beaten when merchandise, licensing, manga, movies, etc are all taken into account.

Shingeki is awesome, looks badass, but not on the level of One Piece, not in sales, not in terms of the work itself either.

You are trying to force fit a competition, accumulative sales on year dont mean much for VS mode, as you have noted the volumes a series releases per year vary, you can only compare by individual manga sales to see the real balance and clash of power.

Morover, as you now, Shingeki is not pure battle shounen, it goes more to seinen, it wont be long running, and once anime is over and forgotten it wont be able to maintain the temporal huge boost in sales seen recently, particularly in the first volumes.

Theres really no competition here.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
^ Only talking manga volume sales here so the rest is pretty irrelevant in this discussion.

I don't think anybody in this thread has shown any aspects of delusion, everybody knows that 'Attack on Titan' sales per volume will most likely never reach the heights of One Piece. However, the point made here is only that those really good sales per volume (the first volume is already over 1.5 million and still selling at 60k a week) added to the fact that ALL the volumes have been selling in large amounts for weeks and weeks could maybe lead (the odds are slim but mathematically possible without needing to have each AoT volume sell 5 million copies) to 'Attack on Titan' having its chance in the race for 1st place in 2013. Of course, should it happen, there's no chance 'Attack on Titan' would keep it in 2014 since the boost of the old volumes will be fading if not be completely gone by then.
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Whats this nonsense?

Shingeki is awesome, but its blinding you, don't lose ground, if fans are losing it, I hope the mangaka does not... its selling on par only with Naruto and then some more.

You cannot compare shingeki 1-1.3 million sales per volume against One Piece 3-4 million, you want accumulative sales? Not even in manga... One Piece cannot be beaten when merchandise, licensing, manga, movies, etc are all taken into account.

Shingeki is awesome, looks badass, but not on the level of One Piece, not in sales, not in terms of the work itself either.

You are trying to force fit a competition, accumulative sales on year don't mean much for VS mode, as you have noted the volumes a series releases per year vary, you can only compare by individual manga sales to see the real balance and clash of power.

Morover, as you now, Shingeki is not pure battle shounen, it goes more to seinen, it wont be long running, and once anime is over and forgotten it wont be able to maintain the temporal huge boost in sales seen recently, particularly in the first volumes.

Theres really no competition here.

No one here is saying that Attack on Titan can sale 3-4 million per volume like One Piece. Actually no other manga is able to sell 3-4 million copies per volume.

No one here is comparing the quality of these two amazing series. I like reading One Piece and I don't think anyone here said anything bad about One Piece so I don't see the problem.

The discussion here is about if we will get to see total manga sales competition this year. Each year One Piece takes first place and will probably take first place this year but its possible for Attack on Titan to compete for first place.

Attack on Titan is a monthly manga and its amazing that it can even sell 1-1.5 copies per volume in a year. I don't see anything bad about praising it.

I think you should have read all the comments before calling this discussion nonsense.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
ashura zoldyck wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
Most probably One Piece will come first like always doesn't matter how many volumes it releases it has a big advantage against Attack on Titan. Actually all series in the top 10 have an advantage against Attack on Titan. Most of us want to see a challenge this year but even if Attack on Titan gets second place its a big achievement for a monthly series.

not really, i mean attack on titan is gonna have released 3 volumes this year just like one piece, most series release 3 to sometimes 4 volumes a year

One Piece - 4 volumes
Magi - 4/5 volumes
Naruto - 4/5 volumes

One piece may release volume 72 in December which will make only 3 volumes count this year + volume 68 which has a lot of sales because it was released in November last year.

When I said Attack on Titan being in the top 10 is a very good achievement is not because of the amount of volumes it releases a year but because of the amount of chapters it releases. Attack on Titan has 12 chapters a year. Weekly manga have 52 chapters a year. Its usually easier for people to follow weekly manga closely then following monthly manga. Which is why overall weekly manga is more popular.

chapters in weekly and monthly is not apple to apple comparison. You should count pages per months or pages per year. When you are using Chapters, either you don't know much about manga or try to mislead people.
There are/were other monthly manga that sells 1m+ per vol, example Kimi ni todoke, FMA. Weekly manga are overall more popular because they pick all good one first before they pass it to the monthly. They passed on Attack on Titian, that was their mistake.
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
ashura zoldyck wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:

One Piece - 4 volumes
Magi - 4/5 volumes
Naruto - 4/5 volumes

your math is off. You should count pages per months or pages per year. When you are using Chapters, either you don't know much about manga or try to mislead people.
There are/were other monthly manga that sells 1m+ per vol, example Kimi ni todoke, FMA.

You are right. I actually don't read the manga I just watch the anime so I don't know. I also didn't know that Kimi ni todoke and FMA are monthly series but you are right I remember seeing Kimi ni todoke sell 1mil + and FMA is very popular.

After taking your points into account still it is very impressive that monthly series like Attack on Titan, Kimi ni todoke and FMA are able to sell so many copies.

Just looked at some of the chapters of volume 1 and volume 2 of Attack on Titan and they have 40-45 pages (Not sure how the other Attack on Titan volumes work) which is a little more then twice the amount of pages in a weekly series (18-20 pages). But its still a fact that weekly series are OVERALL more popular then monthly series. The reason for that is even if each chapter of a monthly series is bigger only 12 chapters are released so its harder to connect to a monthly series.

Thanks for pointing these things out. If I made any other errors please let me know I don't read a lot of manga so I don't know a lot.
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Weekly manga are overall more popular because they pick all good one first before they pass it to the monthly. They passed on Attack on Titian, that was their mistake.

Oh I didn't know that. I thought weekly manga is for Teenagers and monthly manga is for older people.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Weekly manga are overall more popular because they pick all good one first before they pass it to the monthly. They passed on Attack on Titian, that was their mistake.

Oh I didn't know that. I thought weekly manga is for Teenagers and monthly manga is for older people.

It just so happens that the biggest shonen magazines are weekly, rather than monthly, and magazines aimed at older people are monthly rather than weekly. Most shojo magazines aimed at teenage girls are fortnightly or monthly. I can't think of any weekly shojo magazines.
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
ashura zoldyck wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:

One Piece - 4 volumes
Magi - 4/5 volumes
Naruto - 4/5 volumes

I read all your other comments so i already you changed your mind about certain things but you said that weekly manga is more popular which i totally agree because well to me they totally deserve it mangakas of weekly manga's work everyday a week with only 4 hours of sleep and only one restday(which i believe it's sunday), the job of mangaka is very hard, alot of mangakas have said it, while a monthly manga has it more easier then a weekly one, so for me weekly mangas completely deserve being more popular.
by the way the mangaka of blue exorcist(which is a monthly manga) even said herself how hard this job is, just imagine what a weekly mangaka gotta deal with
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2