• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandy_taty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
[snipped out his childish rant -TK]

-english second language

I think I have to agreed with you. My specific reason, it is because when I watched anime of anti-christ or any religion, people start asking me why I wacth those anime that it is bad, and blah, blah, blah. I'm like, "ok?"

What irk me the most that a lot of people banned everything what they don't want/like. Well what I know that everybody have the right to do what they please to like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Just finished it, and ep.14 felt more like an ending than ep.9 to me. It was a great series overall. I wasn't a too big fan of the artistic stide, but I know it was very good. The characters were awesome even if Kyon could have spoken some more (I mean to the other characters).

And it IS philosophical, but I did not really accept it until ep.12 or so. The plot wasn't too relevant IMHO, the good part was about the humor, the character development, and the underlying philosphy. Also, the well-hidden but overpresent romance that sometimes raised the curtains was what made me curious.

"Freud could have a field day about this" is like, my favorite quote evar. Even if I'm not too sure about what field day means for him, any way I tried to interpret it after Kyon said it made laugh histerically.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:
Just finished it, and ep.14 felt more like an ending than ep.9 to me.

I'm just guessing here.. but that may be why they left it till last Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:
"Freud could have a field day about this" is like, my favorite quote evar. Even if I'm not too sure about what field day means for him, any way I tried to interpret it after Kyon said it made laugh histerically.

Actually, that's the fansubbers taking a (slight) liberty with the translation, probably in the interest of making it flow better in English.

What Kyon says (in the anime -- it's slightly different, in the novel) is: フロイド先生も爆笑だとぜ (Freud-sensei mo bakushou da to ze, "Even Doctor Freud would burst out laughing.")

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
aye. I though it was more something along the lines of "This dream would make Freud analyze my a$$ off in no time" or "Freud would have some trouble analyzing this "

Guess I was kinda mistaken, but just the Freud reference coming from Kyon, the most sarcastic character ever, makes it a jewel.
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but I haven't posted in a while, but can someone explain to me why some christians are offended by Eva? Is it blasphemic? I understand Bible Black AND Utena. But Eva? And what's with all the christian-bashing on this site?
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Shi-ne wrote:
Sorry, but I haven't posted in a while, but can someone explain to me why some christians are offended by Eva? Is it blasphemic? I understand Bible Black AND Utena. But Eva? And what's with all the christian-bashing on this site?

I can't really say why it was banned on the Christian forums but I liked the quote I read earlier about Haibane Renmei

"They like angels, just not when they are 20 story dinosaur looking things."

xD
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
This thread has nothing to do with that. Start your own thread if you want to discuss that. This thread is about Haruhi, not Eva, Utena or Bible Black.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
Agreed, and is it just me, or does it seem kind of off that there's 45 Worst Evers already? It just kind of seems fishy to me, maybe the mods can check the IPs on those votes and make sure it's not some idiot making new accounts just to do it to make it look bad. I mean sure, some people might not like it, but considering the amount of votes that's quite a handfull that thinks it's worse than some of the crappiest anime ever made, hmm, can't think of a few examples off the top of my head, but I think people know a true worst ever anime when they see it.

Here's a question, anyone have a picture of the flyer or w/e it was that had Hauhi on the front that led to the assumption that it was liscenced? I haven't seen it yet and would like to see it myself, as I kinda am a fan of Haruhi (plan on making an SOS-dan guild in Hero Online at that, probably just name it SOS Brigade or the likes since they'd confuse the game's dan (10 lvls) with the Brigade/group/band etc. dan). Anyway, I'm off to go play, watching Berserk as well, friend of mine had it for a while, but we couldn't find it until yesterday :O
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Agreed, and is it just me, or does it seem kind of off that there's 45 Worst Evers already? It just kind of seems fishy to me, maybe the mods can check the IPs on those votes and make sure it's not some idiot making new accounts just to do it to make it look bad. I mean sure, some people might not like it, but considering the amount of votes that's quite a handfull that thinks it's worse than some of the crappiest anime ever made, hmm, can't think of a few examples off the top of my head, but I think people know a true worst ever anime when they see it.

This has already been brought up before. As I see it, people have just been down voting it because of jealousy. I mean, God forbid any anime to become even half as popular as Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, Dragon Ball Z or any other never-ending shounen. As you can see, the votes barely affect the bar though.

Daemonblue wrote:
Here's a question, anyone have a picture of the flyer or w/e it was that had Hauhi on the front that led to the assumption that it was liscenced? I haven't seen it yet and would like to see it myself, as I kinda am a fan of Haruhi (plan on making an SOS-dan guild in Hero Online at that, probably just name it SOS Brigade or the likes since they'd confuse the game's dan (10 lvls) with the Brigade/group/band etc. dan).

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7872/haraag1.jpg

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
energydan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
This was probably the most hyped and raved about show of the past few months. Naturally, a lot of people are just getting around to watching it now. Sadly, many of them are probably only watching it because it's topping the lists. In addition, many of them probaby gave up half way through the 1st episode without sticking it out to accurately get a feel for the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
I've expressed my opinion many other times, and in many other places, but since the subject was brought up by someone else... I'll say it again:

What kind of person would care so much about a show's rating on some website that they would try to manipulate the rating system to try and bomb a show's ratings simply because it's popular? Noone has ever given (and to be honest, you just can't make the case) that Haruhi deserves a 0, and I would die for a person who could convince me it deserves a 1 or 2. Does giving a show a rating you don't think it really deserves as an attempt to undermine the concept of a website's rating system make you an ignorant and/or petty person? I for one say "yes".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
And I have to totally agree with you on that one. It's not so much that I want it to be in the top as much as it is that I hate people that give misleading information. People are more likely to check out the higher rated anime, that's a fact, and that's why ratings systems were made in the first place. They're trying to make other series look better by falsely undermining the good ones, which is just a childish way for them to try and get attention. These are the people that need to (btw, I was almost banned from another forum for saying the following lines...I know, it's not THAT bad) go to the local gun store, buy a shotgun, and blow their friggin brains out cause that's the only way they'll get the attention they desire. These people ruin the internet and spike ratings just to feel good about themselves and seriously just need to die cause they're a plague not only to the internet, but to real life as well.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I've expressed my opinion many other times, and in many other places, but since the subject was brought up by someone else... I'll say it again:

What kind of person would care so much about a show's rating on some website that they would try to manipulate the rating system to try and bomb a show's ratings simply because it's popular? Noone has ever given (and to be honest, you just can't make the case) that Haruhi deserves a 0, and I would die for a person who could convince me it deserves a 1 or 2. Does giving a show a rating you don't think it really deserves as an attempt to undermine the concept of a website's rating system make you an ignorant and/or petty person? I for one say "yes".

Unless you know that person and his reasons, it's obviously a "no"... It really doesn't deserve a mark lower than 5 or so as it's a magnificent show. But that doesn't mean some people won't hate it for X reasons, be it age, religion, personal experience, trauma or whatever.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
youth on AoD posted up full scans of all the flyers, Engrish and all:
http://www.angelvoice.net/anime/kadokawaenglishflyers.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 213