• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
change Tagalog to Filipino!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encyser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I've just seen a post asking to add German to the language drop list (even though it's already there), how about the Tagalog in the list be changed to Filipino, which is more appropriate? Tagalog pertains more to the central region of the island of Luzon, whereas Filipino covers the entire country.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, here we go again...

The problem with using Filipino is that it's way too general. You're talking about dozens of dialects such as Tagalog, Kapampangan, Ilocano, Cebuano, Visaya, etc., but how many anime titles have been dubbed in a dialect other than Tagalog?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
encyser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
What's too general about Filipino? It's only limited to one country. And Tagalog has its own dialects, from the standard Tagalog, the Taagalog in Batangas, the Tagalog in Quezon province and the Tagalog in Marinduque.

If you're asking about anime dubbed in other dialects, there is either Tom Sayer or Huck Finn, and it was dubbed in Ilocano as well as Filipino, but that's the only one I know. We also dubbed in English.

Look, if you want us to be more specific language-wise, we can add the necessary info in the precision box whether it's dubbed in another dialect. The main thing is that I want our anime to be identified as dubbed and broadcast in the Philippines, and and changing the label to Filipino is the right step.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
Tagalog is the language (not dialect) in question, therefore it will remain Tagalog. Much like you won't see "Chinese" in the encyclopedia, but instead "Mandarin," "Cantonese," etc...

Of course there are some differences between the way one person speaks Tagalog, and the way someone else, living hundreds, or thousands of kilometers away speaks it. But this is no different that with English, French, or pretty much any other language, but that doesn't mean they speak a different language.

Although the Filipino government officially renamed Tagalog "Filipino" a while back, using the term "Filipino" is rather ambiguous. This is much like the way the Beijing government calls Mandarin "Chinese" even though there are many chinese languages, all of which are "Chinese."

A future version of the encyclopedia will allow users to submit many more languages than are currently available, this would include Mandarin, Cantonese, Tagalog, Bikol, etc... Generic and Ambiguous languages such as "Chinese" and "Filipino" will not be permited. We don't know if we will allow more detailed regional dialect variations such as Lubang Tagalog, Manila Tagalog, Quebec French, Marseilles French, American English, Brittish English, Yuehai Cantonese, Taishan Cantonese etc...

In the meantime, until we decide on the exact format of the future Encyclopedia, and it is coded & launched, no new languages will be added, and no changes to the existing languages will be made.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
In the meantime, until we decide on the exact format of the future Encyclopedia, and it is coded & launched, no new languages will be added, and no changes to the existing languages will be made.

Those good ol' days when six languages could be added in just four days. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
Actually, it took ANN over a year to add Tagalog to the Encyclopedia. Ah, the things procrastination can do...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Tagalog, Filipino, same difference. Neutral

If they were to start using various dialects instead, then we'd see American Englisch, British Englisch, Schwyzerdütsch (Swiss German), Sicilian, Castilian Spanisch, both dialects of Norwegian, and a whole assload of other dialects listed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:04 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

If they were to start using various dialects instead, then we'd see American Englisch, British Englisch, Schwyzerdütsch (Swiss German), Sicilian, Castilian Spanisch, both dialects of Norwegian, and a whole assload of other dialects listed.

I'm guesching you're German?
I honestly cannot thing of anything that has different British English and American english dubs, although we had different subtitle translations for the Sol Bianca movies than the US did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm American, but have been teaching myself some German. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
So you were writing "Englisch" and " Spanisch" etc on purpose?
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

You have to be very carefull not to mix dialects and languages. American English, British English and Australian English should be regarded dialects of Standard English. Scots, Welsh and Irish are other languages (i.e. with Celtic origin). Sicilian and Italian are different languages, and so are Catalan, Basque and Spanish (Castilian) or Frisian and Dutch.
In many cases, if you learn let's say Spanish (i.e. Castilian), you won't understand Catalan and vice versa (but French is quite close to Catalan, so if you know French, you'll be able to learn Catalan quite easily). But Wallonian people (southern Belgium) do perfectly understand people from Bordeaux or Marseille, just like New York, San Francisco and Houston do.

Different languages should also be seen in the context of different official languages, which is a language which can be spoken in official institutions, such as post offices and official authorities.

Probably most important, take into account in which language the anime is broadcasted or distributed. I've seen/bought/borrowed a lot of DVDs, but I've never seen a Scottish, Frisian, Breton or Schwyzerdütsch version of any anime.

Finally, permitting all existing languages wouldn't be feasable anyway : Ethnologue (I know it's just one source, but it gives you an idea) lists 7299 different languages in the world. Now that would overload the ANN database. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
encyser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Well, at least Google uses Filipino instead of Tagalog....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1