• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Ranma 1/2 Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY! THANK GOD.

Quote:
And here's my unlikely-to-be-fulfilled wish that they finally use a more accurate translation in the subs for Ranma. The DVDs, annoyingly, only had dub-titles.

I hope they do have more accurate and less americanized translations, but I'll just be happy to have them on Blu-Ray if anything. I do want them to have the original title cards at the very least.

Quote:
I have no idea why people favor this over Rumiko's other old series, probably just because it was the one that arrived here first and got the most exposure so it accumulated the most nostalgia.

I favor it because of the martial arts aspect and comedy. And I always saw the anime later as just a companion to the manga, and the manga is quite good. I don't think it's on the same level as UY, Maison Ikkoku, or Mermaid's Saga (all of which i like as well) but there's something about Ranma 1/2 that makes it my favorite. Do I like the other older Takahashi works any less, absolutely not. I think they deserve just as much love, and I'm hoping they also get re-releases on DVD and Blu-Ray in the future!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I wonder if they heard the last ANNcast.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome Ranma on Blu-ray, this is going to be nice, thank you Viz!!! Very Happy Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spinja446

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ranma on Blu ray? I'm down with this! Smile
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the new licenses, rescues, and release dates announced, this is the announcement that I'm most excited about and sure to buy.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong that I might be triple-dipping on this just to recover some space instead of having an entire shelf dedicated to this one show?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Ranma on Blu-Ray should be an interesting proposition. If memory serves, the DVD transfer wasn't all that great (I might have to dust off the DVD's and take a look), so I wonder what sort of materials they'll have to work with.

It looks great, but not exactly remastered. Just a better transfer, digitized from old film with the grain and all.

Here's a NSFW montage from the JP BDs
(and hopefully Viz keeps that too)
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Chevi wrote:
FINALLY! THANK GOD.

Quote:
And here's my unlikely-to-be-fulfilled wish that they finally use a more accurate translation in the subs for Ranma. The DVDs, annoyingly, only had dub-titles.

I hope they do have more accurate and less americanized translations, but I'll just be happy to have them on Blu-Ray if anything. I do want them to have the original title cards at the very least.

THIS!! Plus, get RID of the sign-translation hardsubs/overlays... make them ALL softsubs. I know the DVD release had them because Viz just re-encoded/remastered their VHS Masters for their DVDs, hardsubs & all.

But original title cards, and all soft subs please, Viz. And while you're at it, BD's for the 2 movies & the OVAs/"third movie" as well... and pls keep your classic Ocean dub. Don't make the BD's sub-only.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
I knew they would could do it. I can't wait to snatch these up!!! Uggh wonder what kind of extras it will have?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
and pls keep your classic Ocean dub. Don't make the BD's sub-only.

Why in the world would they do that?! Anime hyper
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
wmderemer wrote:
and pls keep your classic Ocean dub. Don't make the BD's sub-only.

Why in the world would they do that?! Anime hyper

Yes, God forbid people go through the stressful and time consuming process of selecting a different audio track. Rolling Eyes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Yes, God forbid people go through the stressful and time consuming process of selecting a different audio track. Rolling Eyes

I think he meant the opposite.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I think he meant the opposite.

It didn't seem to me that wmderemer was being sarcastic, but if he was, oh well. I just think it's a little ridiculous when you still have people complaining when two audio tracks are available. When you don't like one, just pick the other. Just be happy knowing that having both the English and Japanese audio track opens the release up to a wider audience.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
I never got around to reading Monster, but now I'll have no excuse. I feel kind of bad, though, for anyone who paid premium prices to cobble it together since it went OOP.

I only had to pay a premium for a used copy of volume 6. Was lucky enough to get volumes 8 to 12 locally at 50% off new (would've had to pay a premium for most of those if I got them online).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
SHODAN93 wrote:
Hopefully this will pave the way for a rerelease of Maison Ikkoku. Also yay, Monster reprint!

hope that is the case though what i really hope is that if possible it might also mean a BD/DVD release of the TV series of Urusei Yatsura and hopefully with an english dub.

Also kinda surprised that they are even doing a Omnibus Edition of Monster since the let the TV series license expired. If their is any of its old titles that deserves those Giant sized editions its definitely either Beserk or Bastard or even both of those manga series cause its long overdue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4