• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chinese cast?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verthandi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The cast for the live-action Marmalade Boy (#5053) is really Chinese, but there was no option for a Chinese cast....
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Look, dude, if you were a newbie I'd explain it to you, but you've singed up way earlier than I do, plus you've got over 2,500 submissions, and now you complain not having a Chinese option? This issue has been talked to the death; please look for the corpse of the dead horse yourself, if you still want to beat it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
The limitations regarding Chinese cast, explained elsewhere, unfortunately apply in this case as well.

This will be dealt with in a future version of the encyc.

For This title I'll add a comment stating that the listed "English Cast" is in fact the original Chinese cast.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
1) dormcat, relax. No need to get pissed off just because people repeat the same questions/mistakes over & over & over & over again. Even though you are often exposed to the same recurring issues, the same is not true for most other users and you can't expect them to know the same "obvious" stuff that you do.

2) why is this title even in the Encyclopedia? Is it really relevant?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

As "not anime but related", yes, since it is based on a manga.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Dan42 wrote:

As "not anime but related", yes, since it is based on a manga.

Ah, now it's a good chance to ask. There are several live-action titles based on light novel/manga/anime (or vice versa) waiting to be approved. What should I do?

1. Approve as long as related to any anime studio and/or staff. Many tokusatsu was approved this way.
2. Approve as long as related to light novel/anime/manga title(s), regardless of nationality.
3. Approve as long as related to light novel/anime/manga title(s) and made in Japan.
4. Approve only if the live-action is Japanese and a direct adaptation FROM anime/manga, not the other way around.
5. No live-action will be accepted in the future anymore.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
Ok, let's go with "Approve as long as related to anime and made in Japan or Korea"

* needs anime version, wheter preceding or following the live-action; manga and/or light novel only is insufficient
* Japan and Korea because we have those 2 languages in the encyc

How does that sound?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, but I'd like to point out some ironies:

Dan42 wrote:
* needs anime version, wheter preceding or following the live-action; manga and/or light novel only is insufficient

The project of Death Note live-action movie was announced much earlier than its anime. Same for NANA. Such thing would never happen in the future then.

Dan42 wrote:
* Japan and Korea because we have those 2 languages in the encyc

How about English, French, German, Italian, etc... then? I wouldn't be surprised at all if this Polish film gets an anime counterpart.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
How about this:

4pt if adapted from anime / 2pt if adapted to anime
2pt if adapted from manga / 1pt if adapted to manga
1pt if adapted from light novel
2pt if original anime/manga/l.novel was a massive hit
2pt if made in Japan
1pt if Japanese anime/manga creator is involved
2pt if reviewed on ANN
1pt if mentioned in ANN news

...and it gets accepted if it gets 8pts or more Very Happy

All I'm saying, really, is that one should look at the big picture and figure out if it's relevant to anime fans.

Last edited by Dan42 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
...and it gets accepted if it gets 6pts or more Very Happy

LOL! Two thumbs up! Laughing

Dan42 wrote:
All I'm saying, really, is that one should look at the big picture and figure out if it's relevant to anime fans.

Agreed. Say, soon we'll have an anime adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. While it's a masterpiece in the history of literature, we definitely DON'T need all its adaptations throughout centuries of history. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1