• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pumpkin Scissors.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
I did not see a current thread for this topic so.....

Does any one else see a repaeting German Theme with this amazing show? It almost seems like it is a play on an alternate World War II Timeline. I really like it, I finde the charcter Designs t be quite fantastic. Hats off to GONZO on this one., I think thye have a real winner on their hands.

I have only got to see the first episode, but if any one is open for disscussion on the topic please feel free to post.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
I think it IS an alternate theme of WWII, and there is a LOT of German references in this show including the opening song
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
If you can't see a "repeating German theme" in this show, you must be braindead and should do yourself and everyone around you a favor and just go shoot yourself.

That aside, I find the show to be pretty mediocre in just about every aspect.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
well what IF you had ABSOLUTELY NULL IDEA about what German was.......i know that sounds stupid, but still WHAT IF?!?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
If you can't see a "repeating German theme" in this show, you must be braindead and should do yourself and everyone around you a favor and just go shoot yourself.

Not really necessary with the shoot yourself, but it's pretty apparent that there are WWII (specifically Germany) ties.

Animefreak6969 wrote:
well what IF you had ABSOLUTELY NULL IDEA about what German was.......i know that sounds stupid, but still WHAT IF?!?!

This post is also not necessary, Capitals and lack of content is going to get you busted.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
That aside, I find the show to be pretty mediocre in just about every aspect.

I just finished episode 8 or so spoiler[and I was hoping that this series would break out of Gonzo mold, but it's looks like it's going to be mediocre. First few episodes pretty cool, some neat ideas going with this series....queue up the boring part, well I am hoping things turn for the better.]

But that aside I really like this opening theme song for this series, something about it makes me actually want to listen to it, whereas 90% of everything else I skip completely.

Delta

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
quote="Animefreak6969]well what IF you had ABSOLUTELY NULL IDEA about what German was.......i know that sounds stupid, but still WHAT IF?!?!

This post is also not necessary, Capitals and lack of content is going to get you busted.
[/quote]

I was actually asking a question, and all caps is signifying im emphasizing that.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
WWII? I'd say the setting is clearly post-WWI-ish. Yes, tanks weren't that far developed back then but that's just cosmetics, not setting.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I've honestly been more than a little annoyed with the show as of the after the first few episodes. The first few were very plot driven, i.e., the tank, the gun and (I forgot what rank he is).

As of after that it's been very episodic honestly with a whole lot of nothing. Sure Oreld and Machs have gotten a little bit of character development, but at what cost?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
I've honestly been more than a little annoyed with the show as of the after the first few episodes. The first few were very plot driven, i.e., the tank, the gun and (I forgot what rank he is).

As of after that it's been very episodic honestly with a whole lot of nothing. Sure Oreld and Machs have gotten a little bit of character development, but at what cost?

Honestly I felt the same way after episode 8 spoiler[but episode 9 has made me a believer again. I felt it was a really touching (and powerful) episode about what happens to those we leave when we go to war. ]

Augh I so hope that this series quits playing the roller coaster game with me, because it's got the chance to be good. Nothing worse then a series with potential to end up being less then if could.

Delta
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 was decent compared to the immediately preceding episode and several of the last few episodes certainly show the effects of war, but episode 9 is the only one that does it particularly well, in my opinion. They can do those things without making the episodes dull or stupid. And maybe they can even include some plot advancement in them as well, but that's probably too much to ask.

Most (if not all) of the character designs are pretty uninspired. Olend (that's the main guy, right? Because one of them is Oreldo or something also) is pretty boring, when I see Alice, I can't help but think "Saber" and the two guys are pretty generic.

The bland character designs are indicative of most of their personalities: also bland. Only Alice and the player have gotten much character development. At this point, Sticken is my favorite character.

Mindless Watcher wrote:
WWII? I'd say the setting is clearly post-WWI-ish. Yes, tanks weren't that far developed back then but that's just cosmetics, not setting.

I think its a mix or in between. WWII is when gas weapons were introduced, and I believe machine guns too. Since gas weapons and automatic weapons are presented as top secret and/or in development weapons, I'm thinking its in between. I don't know jack about tanks, so if any of the tanks or other weapons they used were real, that could provide some hints.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
i wish they would focus more on Oland, the last couple of episodes have been pretty dull. i haven't watched 9 yet though.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
why exactly does this show have to be plot driven. I like the fact that the show is pretty simple. I was not expecting something like Mushishi or Basilisk. I have to disagree, I think that this is one of the best anime I have seen this year, It is in my top 10.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
WWII is when gas weapons were introduced, and I believe machine guns too. Since gas weapons and automatic weapons are presented as top secret and/or in development weapons, I'm thinking its in between. I don't know jack about tanks, so if any of the tanks or other weapons they used were real, that could provide some hints.

I'm no expert on military history, but gas was used in WWI, that's for sure. I don't know about machine guns it probably depends on what counts as machine gun. But weapons are not important anyway. They could use stone axes or photon torpedoes for that matter. The political situation looks, if anything, like post-WWI.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm getting my WW weapons mixed up. Either way, I'm hesitant to say that its based off one of them in particular.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
why exactly does this show have to be plot driven. I like the fact that the show is pretty simple. I was not expecting something like Mushishi or Basilisk. I have to disagree, I think that this is one of the best anime I have seen this year, It is in my top 10.

Becaused the introduced to us an underlying relatively deep plot...and haven't touched on it since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2