• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Box of Crap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this column. BoC, hmmm...I'm sort of divided on the whole thing. I've seen these offers advertised but never bothered because I don't like owning stuff I already have. Plus, I don't have anyone I can give stuff to. Not to mention some series I never had interest in, so I doubt I'd track them down. But I can appreciate the mystique of receiving one of those boxes and opening it up and seeing all those anime titles wrapped in their shiny and colorful packaging. Which again shows you how much I or anyone loves the medium. It's enough to make anyone light up even if there are some titles you might not want. Just the way everything is laid out, and you just browse looking them over closely. It's like Xmas anytime. Which is also why I enjoy looking through donations here at the job. When someone donates a box of anime the materials are automatically passed my way. I always delight at going through some of the titles hoping to find a few "keepers". The downside is the dust that is a testament to how long they've been stored away. Laughing

The good thing about the BoC is people who really enjoy their shows and when they see a show they've been wanting to see for a long time they get that collectors itch to complete it. But it is definitely a task. Some of you may remember an obscure anime title called 'Brigadoon' aka Brigadoon: Melan & Marin, which was released by the now defunct Tokyopop. This was the first series I purchased on import DVD. I literally purchased a region free DVD player solely for this series. It was the one series that sort of intrigued me when Tokyopop, (when they first became TP) mentioned it on their site as the one (niche) title that they may have been following. Not to mention it was the brainfart of Yoshitomo with Kimura (doing character designs). Y'know those guys of GaoGaigGar fame. But it was Kimura's Variable Geo OVA that had me following his work. Then you find out his connection with Yoshitomo. Brigadoon was the 2nd work they'd do together. You can only imagine what craziness that entailed. It would be years later that this title would become part of TP's catalog for US release. It's also now the most obscure anime title because either no knew or cared enough about it to even give it a look. Digital fansubs were a new thing and once that picked up steam Brigadoon wasn't even on the radar to pop up on illegal torrent sites. It was practically NO NEWS. It's not a bad series per se, it's pretty decent and cute. That is you think 12 yr 400 (17) yr old hooks ups are a thing. Clamp did that plenty. I enjoyed it for what it was watching it raw. When TP finally released it (which shocked me) I had put it off for a good while. Mainly due to the price per vol. and release dates. Plus, I had to cut back on my spending until I got things in order. I was also put off by the covers, they were very uninteresting. I really wish they could have used some of the original covers. They were much more pleasing to the eye. But when I think back to them I now think they were trying to make it look somewhat retro, in the way of Astro Boy. I dunno. When the time came for me to finally add the series to my collection I had a problem finding 3 vols out of 6. I was able to get from TRSI cheap. Between DVD Empire, and Half.com/Ebay would allow me to gain the remaining 3. What makes it harder is the order. Those vols cost me almost $15-$17 with S&H from 3 places vs. TRSI whose leftovers run $4-$6. Which is still cheaper than $145 when they were first released. I wanted to get this series so I could finally watch it in English. It was the one import title I would buy again. I still have yet sit down and watch it.

The BoC can be fun, many YT'bers, hell ever ANN's column on Pile of Crap can benefit from pot luck anime. But for me I'll just look at your pretty boxes with prizes inside.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
SoulTaker?

Excellent?

...What?
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I highly considered picking up the manga version of this but I already own 750+ manga. So, the chances of me getting something I wanted, or might interest me is pretty low. My friend suggested picked up a box for trading purposes but I had the feeling the tittles would be the kind of overstocked half finished TokyoPop titles. That at this point few collectors would want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
When do these sales run? I've never heard of them and i'm always down to play dvd lotto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
When do these sales run? I've never heard of them and i'm always down to play dvd lotto.

Right stuff always has blind box items. http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/rnYvo=ZO=PtBHiVqKn/browse/category/4/153/0 Crunchyroll sells the 30 packs I think.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Where could I go to find the manga equivalent? That actually could be worth it since manga is handled differently (they aren't usually re-released in cheaper box sets), and I could probably complete the series I like fairly easily. Not that I don't have a lot of single manga volumes anyway.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I got the boxed set, and I got a similar mix of stand alones and volumes. I actually didn't mind the number of volume ones for shows I can get in boxed sets for fairly cheap - it gives me a chance to get a taste of a show before hunting down the boxed set or renting it from Netflix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Where could I go to find the manga equivalent? That actually could be worth it since manga is handled differently (they aren't usually re-released in cheaper box sets), and I could probably complete the series I like fairly easily. Not that I don't have a lot of single manga volumes anyway.

Crunchyroll had a similar grab box for manga this year as well. I considered going with that grab box, but I decided to go with the anime one instead.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
as if someone is actually trying to sell an item for $5,000 or $10,000. That's not the case.

Wow 8O I didn't know that was a thing - I just assumed sellers were responded to percieved demand and setting the prices themselves. Thank you for the clarification.

Hey, I've shopped at the Anime Corner Store befor - I didn't realize you were on the forums here. Nice to "meet" you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dupl0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I got the random crunchyroll box back when it was offered up.
Now that I've opend it up to see what's in there. I have 5 of those Dragon DVDs is that series even any good? I got some other good stuff like Appleseed, that i already have..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4