• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crimes at Conventions and Official Responses

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone here has heard, but it's recently come to light that at a recent anime convention, a young woman was raped by a Guest of the convention. The convention's staff reportedly knew about the Guest's status as a convicted felon for sexual assault of a minor, and, despite reports that he had groped numerous young ladies in previous years (he had been a Guest in 2011 and 2012 as well), still invited and paid the Guest to be at their convention.

Since the incident has come to light, the convention has made a facebook post indicating that the police are dealing with it, but since it was a private hotel room, it's not their responsibility. They have since deleted this post as well, and now seem to be hiding all notice of this occurring.

Now, I'm not posting this to play the name-and-shame game (I will not give any more information on this situation), but to pose the question, of what should a convention's response be, and what is a convention's responsibility, for knowingly bringing in a guest who has previously assaulted a minor.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Bringing in a guest who has a history as a sex offender is dubious. It should obviously send up some major red flags and bear further investigation at the very least. I don't know if I'd unequivocally rule out bringing the person but I'd sure as hell be careful about it and make sure to watch them like a hawk and stop inviting them at the slightest hint of trouble. Hence, the fact that they continued to invite this guy year after year despite repeated reports of him doing essentially the same thing to their guests is nothing short of despicable. I mean Jesus Christ! The gropings alone should have gotten this guy booted, even ignoring the danger of it escalating into a rape. The fact that they kept inviting this scum is nothing short of mind boggling. They obviously cared far more about selling their con than protecting their attendees from sexual assault. So yeah, I'd say they are absolutely culpable in what happened. Maybe not legally since it didn't actually happen at their event, but that's just pedantry. They're the ones recklessly bringing the two together despite all the warning signs. I sincerely hope the party responsible for inviting this guy is held accountable. They have no business being involved with a convention ever again.

Also, could you please just tell us the convention and the guest in question. I understand that your goal here is to promote discussion rather than just to shame them but I would really like to know. I would be extremely uncomfortable supporting either in the future.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Also, could you please just tell us the convention and the guest in question. I understand that your goal here is to promote discussion rather than just to shame them but I would really like to know. I would be extremely uncomfortable supporting either in the future.

Here's a good summary with links.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1