• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Complex + Part 2 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote

Buddy Complex (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: conspiracy, friendship, mecha, time travel, war

Plot Summary: On the first day back after summer break, high-school student Aoba is attacked by a giant robot that appears out of the sky. As he's pursued through the city, his classmate Hina appears in a robot of her own. She rescues him, and tells him cryptically that "Dio is waiting for you," before she disappears. This begins Aoba's new life as the pilot of the Free Treaty Alliance against the Great Zogiria Republic.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Just finished watching the pre-air on AT-X. Not bad. Hina is more shy than I had thought but overall fits within the theme right, especially during the middle parts.

The spoiler[OP song is decent I guess. I didn't think Hina would possesses those piloting skills so I was impressed by that. Eh, the action is fitting for a mecha show but wasn't too impressive imo. The show definitely has potential though. It kinda reminds me of Valvrave in a way also. Let the war begin~]

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait.

spoiler[Awesome to hear Hina is apparently also a pilot in the spoiler, hopefully that continues when she reappears.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
I like how the characters look.
Seems like a nice romance is brewing slowly too.
It kept me glue to the screen and that's rare.
This anime looks very promising.
I'm gonna give it a try.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

What the hell just happened? It is like I spent whole lot of time waiting for an answer, but when there was one I still did not know what was happening.

And what was with Hina spoiler[disappearing when they travel forward], my only guess there is something like spoiler[her being his daughter or something].

And "buddies"? Why are my yaoi senses going off with that.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The first episode can almost be summed up as "no time to explain, get in the giant mech!"

Enough information is given that the lead character and the audience are not completely confused, yet at the same time an established a wild chain of events that becomes an interesting ride.

I have to wait a couple more episodes to see if this a keeper for my own list, but if it can follow up the first episode it has a pretty good chance in my own book.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
I like how the characters look.
Seems like a nice romance is brewing slowly too.
It kept me glue to the screen and that's rare.
This anime looks very promising.
I'm gonna give it a try.

Same here enjoyed the first ep.

Also, the mecha action was nice too.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It's really strange how this series has almost the exact same type of opening episode that Witch Craft Works does. Not exactly a good thing in my book. Plus we have the whole time traveling deal that i'm hoping doesn't get TOO convoluted. But overall an average start i suppose.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's really strange how this series has almost the exact same type of opening episode that Witch Craft Works does

Buddy Com at least sets it up that the male lead is going to be a competent pilot in the future if the time travelling girl is to be believed, the male lead in Witch Craft just seems to be the butt end of the joke in comparison.

So as always execution makes the series even if they stand on overtly similar set ups.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
We had Alien-vampire last year. Now, time-traveler-terminator-militaria
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
So generic it hurts. There's isn't a single thing that was fresh, except perhaps spoiler[the time travel angle.]

But hey, might as well keep watching for a few more episodes.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was really generic (late for school! senpai notice me! mecha invasion, etc) and MC having little to no emotional reactions like "Oh my god, they are going to kill us?!" didn't help at all to make me care.

Still, the ending really saved it by adding more distinctive element...

Also, what's with the opening's screenplay. It felt like a Gundam SEED tribute but with a not so catchy song.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Oh boy after seeing the title and MAL synopsis, I was expecting some yaoi stuff. But I guess someone was trolling MAL because the first episode was nothing like the synopsis.

Based on the OP, it seems like Hina spoiler[is on the enemy's side. I am basing this off on that crazy guy being the yellow eyed guy in the op who has the same uniform as Hina. So there might be a Romeo and Juliet angle. ]
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
My friend thinks this show is yaoi and refuses to watch it but oh well thats his problem, anyway I thought the first episode was great, I was confused a little but didn't really care because the action got me into it real quick.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Huh. Well that got awfully convoluted toward the end. Up until that point I found it moderately enjoyable. Looks nice. Characters are passable if unremarkable. Time travel premise is a curious twist. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out once the dust settles next episode.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
JustinGallimore wrote:
My friend thinks this show is yaoi and refuses to watch it but oh well thats his problem, anyway I thought the first episode was great, I was confused a little but didn't really care because the action got me into it real quick.

Your friend is right. Didn't you hear the Fujoshi computer announce "Nice Coupling!"? Laughing

Seriously, I doubt Sunrise would ever do a straight up (heh) yaoi show with mecha. There might be some shonen jump-style hints for the 'shippers, but the first ep clearly established that the MC is interested in girls.
I'm not sure what else this show has going for it, though. I found the first ep to be more interesting and less outright ridiculous than Valvrave's, but it also takes itself way too seriously to sustain the cheesy dramatic dialogue of the villain. This show may need a number of episodes before it can earn all that drama it wants to intrigue us with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8