• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seppuku, Harakiri, HELP

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:36 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Hmm... a suicide thread... now I've seen 4/7 of it all. Sure hope some parents don't find this, with such violence and everything. Could a learned individual point me in the direction of where they found such information? I'm looking in to studying Japanese culture seriously as an amateur. (Oxymoron, I know)

"Suicidal thoughts, running through my head. I can't believe it all, I want to see them dead!"

The book "Secrets of the Samurai: A Survey of the Martial Arts of Feudal Japan" by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook is an excellent book on the rituals and habits of the Bushi from medieval to modern times. They don't differentiate much between harakiri and seppuku, and use the terms interchangeably. They are also the authors of the most excellent book "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere"

edit: added links
Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:48 pm Reply with quote
If you want suicide, pick up any of Oe Kenzaburo's novels (I recommend The Silent Cry). If you want harakiri, watch Japanese movies that take place during the warring or tokugawa era. As for historical books, try finding some that deal with bushido. Borders has a good selection of Japanese historical books, but for the largest selection head to amazon.com.

Truthfully I've picked up most of my cultural knowledge from reading Japanese novels and of course taking classes with professors who have ample experience with Japan and its nuances. Of course watching plenty of anime helps Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2