• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Manga of 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Picking favorites this year is pretty hard for me since I read a lot of good manga, but hardly any that really stood out. That's partially my fault as I haven't gotten around to a lot of ones that are apparently really good, like Vinland Saga and No. 6.

Favorite New Series: Sankarea and Wolfsmund
I read a lot of shoujo this year and got really burnt out on them. These two darker series came along at the perfect time and refreshed me. Sankarea balances on a fine line of funny and romantic verses creepy and tragic really well. It's also one of the few series that manages to have fanservice that doesn't bother me in the slightest. As for Wolfsmund, I love historical fiction and horror, so I loved its blend of the two.

Favorite New to Me Series: Natsume's Book of Friends
I don't have much to say about Natsume that hasn't already been said. It's a consistently beautiful and emotional series.

Otomen
It's got pacing and developmental flaws, but it's just so cheesy and sweet that I can't help but love it.

Most Improved: Afterschool Charisma
The first few volumes really didn't impress me, but it kept getting better and better. I was hooked by the time I read all of the released volumes. (Clone) Hitler is an absolutely fascinating character, and the moral conundrums interesting.

Guilty Pleasure: Seraph of the End
Seraph of the End is really really generic, but it also has potential, pretty art, vampire action, and one really cool scythe. There are worse flaws than being generic, so I'll stick with it for awhile.
opconvoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I say my top Manga for 2013 that I read was, either Gundam the Origin or Galaxy Angel, or Ruroni Kenshin, just because they are all amazing. I enjoyed reading each one and really got into it. So very hard to tell which one i liked better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2