• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hal I Met Your Mother

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
I must be the only PMMM fan who hasn't seen the third movie yet. At least, that's what it feels like sometimes.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I must be the only PMMM fan who hasn't seen the third movie yet. At least, that's what it feels like sometimes.

I still haven't seen any of the movies.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Not too late to do so, you can use your tax refund to fund your purchase.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
That pile of Digimon goodies makes me envious. Figures for the series are impossible to find at a fair price these days.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

As someone who pays his taxes through PAYE and has no other income, I don't need to fill out a tax return and in fact never have done so. I've therefore never gotten a tax refund in my entire life. It sounds sad to you Yanks, but I could say the same about your situation. I would rather I held onto all my net money at the end of each pay cycle rather than the government hoarding some of it away in overpaid tax and only letting me have my own money back at the end of the financial year. Plus I don't have to spend an entire evening grappling with receipts and eye-watering forms and other such nonsense.

Anyway, it's not the money that is the issue with me not viewing the third PMMM movie; it is time. I need to set aside two hours or whatever and just commit to it. Hard to do that though when I'm following over thirty new shows at the moment whilst simultaneously trying to tackle my backlog of over seventeen hundred episodes of anime. With that sort of mountain to climb, it's difficult to find the motivation to pause and watch a movie that is extremely controversial (and has dedicated fans of the franchise running for the hills).
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for season 2 of Psycho Pass.

I liked season 1 with the final episode having one of the best scenes ever but I found it had one or two issues like characters having no development. I meant the cold hearted girl and the orange haired guy. Still it was a fun show and the others were well developed
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I still haven't seen any of the movies.

Likewise. No one has licensed them for the UK and they were never shown in cinemas heres either.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...Hard to do that though when I'm following over thirty new shows at the moment...

Why are you watching that many shows? 50-60% of all anime shows are crap in my opinion. I intended to watch 6 new shows from this Spring season but only found 4 worthy of my time: One Week Friends, Baby Steps, The World is Still Beautiful and The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
probably because over 30 shows looked interesting to him and so far he likes them all enough and hasn't dropped any yet. same reason I'm watching 29 new spring shows, though I will likely be dropping one very soon
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

As someone who pays his taxes through PAYE and has no other income, I don't need to fill out a tax return and in fact never have done so. I've therefore never gotten a tax refund in my entire life. It sounds sad to you Yanks, but I could say the same about your situation. I would rather I held onto all my net money at the end of each pay cycle rather than the government hoarding some of it away in overpaid tax and only letting me have my own money back at the end of the financial year. Plus I don't have to spend an entire evening grappling with receipts and eye-watering forms and other such nonsense.

Anyway, it's not the money that is the issue with me not viewing the third PMMM movie; it is time. I need to set aside two hours or whatever and just commit to it. Hard to do that though when I'm following over thirty new shows at the moment whilst simultaneously trying to tackle my backlog of over seventeen hundred episodes of anime. With that sort of mountain to climb, it's difficult to find the motivation to pause and watch a movie that is extremely controversial (and has dedicated fans of the franchise running for the hills).

Actually, you are right about taxes, but it is always better to get a refund, rather than having to pay at the end of the tax year. So we try to get the government to take as much as possible, that way the pain it spread out over the entire year, instead of in April.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It actually better to pay a small amount in April. Otherwise, you are giving the government an interest-free loan, instead of using that money yourself.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
It actually better to pay a small amount in April. Otherwise, you are giving the government an interest-free loan, instead of using that money yourself.

Have you checked interest rates in recent years?

There is also the point that most people, upon receiving that additional income throughout the year would have simply spent it each pay period, meaning it never would have earned any interest.

For many people, the US federal tax system is like a Christmas Club account that pays off whenever they get around to filing their tax return.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Why are you watching that many shows? 50-60% of all anime shows are crap in my opinion.

getchman wrote:
probably because over 30 shows looked interesting to him and so far he likes them all enough and hasn't dropped any yet. same reason I'm watching 29 new spring shows, though I will likely be dropping one very soon

angelmcazares, I do agree with you on that figure, but getchman is correct in why I would watch that many. Although I dropped several shows after one episode, most get a three week trial to prove their case. After that finishes I then cull the weakest ones so that the numbers get down to a more manageable level, usually between fourteen and twenty-one (i.e. two to three a day). I realise that I do watch a heck of a lot of mediocre shows or crap, but hey, I usually find them to be watchable enough. And I can always (and often do) drop more before the season is over if they really get on my nerves. I've dropped shows three episodes from the end just because they annoyed me, so I can put my foot down when I want or have to.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Actually, you are right about taxes, but it is always better to get a refund, rather than having to pay at the end of the tax year. So we try to get the government to take as much as possible, that way the pain it spread out over the entire year, instead of in April.

AnimeMaine wrote:

No offense you guys, but an even better practise is to not overpay or underpay tax in the first place. I realise that for certain people like the self-employed or those with investments this can be difficult if not impossible to achieve, and that's fine. Their income is irregular and they don't know exactly how much they need to pay. But the majority of wage and salary earners are not due refunds because their income is automatically taxed under PAYE at the correct rate. Being a wage slave has its advantages.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Have you checked interest rates in recent years?

Move to New Zealand; at 2.75% we have one of the highest central bank interest rates in the developed world, and the rate is only going to go upwards.

We have gone quite off topic here. Whoops.
Bebop-Bang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought Psycho Pass was one of the best shows of last year. Possibly even the best. It had an exciting premise, beautiful character designs, and asked interesting questions. While it certainly wasn't perfect, I'm a little surprised at some of the animosity I see towards the show. Especially Akane.

Akane was one of the most gradually, realistically developed heroines in recent memory. I never found her to be dull. She was thrown into a job that wasn't what she was trained for or expecting. She consistently stands her ground and follows what she believes to be "right." EX: spoiler[ In the first episode she shoots down Kogami to keep him from killing the hostage. In the droid factory case, she confronts Ginoza directly. In the Rikako case, she again confronts Ginoza in front of all the members Unit 1.] By the end of the season, her growth as a character is incredible. I never once found her to be a cliche.

I also hear a lot of complaints about Kogami's character. "Flat" and "dull" have to be two of the words I've seen most to describe him. I didn't find that true whatsoever. He was a motivated character who actively pursued his own idea of justice. spoiler[While his character didn't change over the course of the show, I think that was the point. He was so obsessed with catching Makishima, that everything else fell by the wayside. He was like a horse with the blinders on. After killing Makishima, THAT'S where I'll be interested to see what actions he takes. Come on Season 2!]

The show wasn't perfect. As far as the truth about the Sybil system. Yeah. It was pretty cringe-worthy. And the character development on some, especially Kagari, was disappointing. It would've been nice to gain a bit more insight into the members of Unit 1. Yayoi had a wonderful episode all to herself, so it would've been good to see the other members given the same courtesy, but it just didn't happen. spoiler[At first, I was disappointed in the last episode. The build up of tension over the second half of the series was so exciting. I remember watching week to week, and just feeling my tension and excitement rise. So, when the Sybil system wasn't destroyed, I felt a bit ripped off. But, looking back, I actually find it refreshing that the Sybil System wasn't taken out. Akane's decision to find another way was unique. She knows that society needs the Sybil System for now. It's the best option at the moment. It'll be interesting to see where season 2 and the movie lead.]

The second half of the show was far stronger and much more captivating that the first half. While it wasn't without flaws, I think over all it was a really solid, enjoyable show. Hopefully season 2 and the movie will be able to deliver.

Last edited by Bebop-Bang on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I really enjoyed Psycho-Pass and am excited for the next season and film.

It definitely had its faults, particularly with...Well, y'know when a series suddenly puts some unusual focus on a side character, and you know they're about to die? spoiler[That's exactly how it felt when Kagari was assigned to Akane and Kogami, rather than Masaoka. The series itself did a great job of pushing characters through their respective arc, and Kunizuka, a relatively silent character, received an episode dedicated to her past. I liked Kagari; I found his early incarceration interesting, and wondered if his childish quirks and toys were a manifestation of that unnatural early life. But we didn't see too much of him, he never got an episode, and we didn't learn much about his feelings until right before he died. And, unlike Kunizuka and Shion, he's dead so his development is likely to end there.]

I don't know. I guess I just wanted more flesh on the bone, especially for an intriguing situation. In any case, I'm still eager to see where the story will go. Here's to hoping it won't nosedive into the ground.

You're not alone, Restless. Believe you me. As much as I enjoyed the series for its philosophical/psychological heaviness, it felt decidedly light on character depths with certain crew members. The early signs you mentioned, I would've loved to see them turn into something quirky and unique. Alas, nothing is perfect. Rolling Eyes

Here's to season 2.

Still thinking I'll give Hal a chance. It sounded so interesting. Hope the ending doesn't backpedal too much.

I wasn't thrilled by SS but with reviews like this I'm forced to think I should give it another go. I've enjoyed most of Arakawa's work so far, so who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5