• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells Its Entire Stake in Square Enix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Will this end up canceling KH3 on the PS4? If another company could buy full stake in Square Enix, they would probably make a killing. I doubt Microsoft cares, but if Nintendo can snatch it up, they'd make a pretty penny.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

It ends future projects. FFXIV was previously PS3 developed and made.

Sony had stake in Sqaure for over 15 years, to ensure platform support and exclusive deals for Playstation. Not only does this mean that PS4 will never have anymore exclusives or strong IPs from SE, this also means that SE can abandon support for Playstation anytime they wish. Selling off stake indicates that the companies are no longer doing business with each other.

Interesting. Just a quick correction from my previous post: FFXIV is already on PS4. Just checked my e-mail Razz

It was already announced over 8 months ago to be ported to PS4.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Will this end up canceling KH3 on the PS4? If another company could buy full stake in Square Enix, they would probably make a killing. I doubt Microsoft cares, but if Nintendo can snatch it up, they'd make a pretty penny.

That's up to SqaureEnix, but like I said. SE won't be doing anymore business with Sony in the near future.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I know. I just didn't know it was already released. I thought it was still in beta.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I know. I just didn't know it was already released. I thought it was still in beta.

It just got released this week.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I love how people are jumping the gun Rolling Eyes all this shows is that Sony needs cash or rather they don't need Square Enix this don't mean Square Enix is done or Sony is done Razz
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Sony might've sold the shares to free up some more cash, but that doesn't mean that part of the reason they chose to cash out of *Square-Enix* in particular is that they felt it wasn't particularly useful for them going forward... that Square-Enix was no longer a benefit to their stock portfolio.

So, yes, Sony is having troubles financially, but that doesn't negate Sony's apparent view of S-E's future value.

Also, S-E isn't going to stop making games for the PS platform: there are only so many platforms they can put their games on, and if they sulk and refuse to make games for the PS platform, it will do them some serious financial harm in terms of lost sales --> lost revenue. S-E isn't doing so well that they can afford to take that sort of financial hit.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
I love how people are jumping the gun Rolling Eyes all this shows is that Sony needs cash or rather they don't need Square Enix this don't mean Square Enix is done or Sony is done Razz

Every piece of minor financial news in the games industry immediately results in "every single company is going out of business" doomsaying in the comments section.

This thread in particular has once again attracted our most cherished games industry business analyst, grilledeel "sega is making a new console" hamatsu.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
More concerned about SE's manga than their games. Don't they publish G Fantasy and Shonen Gangan, or am I getting it completely wrong?

Yup, all the Gangan magazines are SE. They don't have any mega-sellers like Attack on Titan or even Kimi ni Todoke, but they have a lot of solid series like Watamote, Working!! and High Score Girl, so it'd be a shame if they went out of business.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Bolaum wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Not only does this mean that SE will no longer develop games for Playstation, but this puts the kabosh on future partnerships from SqaureEnix, kiss KH4 on PS4 goodbye.

Well SE is releasing FFXIV for PS4 soon. It's already in beta. I don't know how this business work tho.

It ends future projects. FFXIV was previously PS3 developed and made.

Sony had stake in Sqaure for over 15 years, to ensure platform support and exclusive deals for Playstation. Not only does this mean that PS4 will never have anymore exclusives or strong IPs from SE, this also means that SE can abandon support for Playstation anytime they wish. Selling off stake indicates that the companies are no longer doing business with each other.

Somehow I doubt SE will abandon the current gen console with the strongest sales, and hell, all of SE last gen games sold best on PS3 so SE would be foolish to just drop support like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:

Every piece of minor financial news in the games industry immediately results in "every single company is going out of business" doomsaying in the comments section.

This thread in particular has once again attracted our most cherished games industry business analyst, grilledeel "sega is making a new console" hamatsu.
Cherished games industry business analyst hahaha yea oh you mean the spoiler[fanboy] yea that's the last thing a topic like this needs Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
There's no reason for Square-Enix and Sony to stop working together just because Sony is no longer a S-E stockholder.

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Even attempting to save their Photography business is futile. Olympus and JVC have them beat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/olympus-confirms-that-sony-is-now-its-largest-shareholder/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/olympus-using-more-sony-camera-components-to-cut-costs/

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Their TV business is dismal. LG and Toshiba are clobbering them in sales,market share and demand.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/31/sony-hitachi-and-toshiba-make-their-lcd-business-merger-official/

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/17/toshiba-stops-japanese-lcd-tv-production/
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Why is this news to people? In the past year, Sony has announced that it will sell two major office buildings, lay off thousands of employees, and even sell its PC division as a means to return to profitability. None of that means Sony is shutting down it just means there getting rid of stuff they don't need Square Enix being one of them dose this mean Square Enix will stop making games no so all is well this is nothing new Very Happy
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope no one honestly believes that SE would focus on Xbone titles for Japan...
ZaZaBoY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I'd like to know why Sony fanboys on game sites and Neo Gaf are spinning this as a good thing? This is BAD news for Sony outright.

Not only does this mean that SE will no longer develop games for Playstation, but this puts the kabosh on future partnerships from SqaureEnix, kiss KH4 on PS4 goodbye.

And yeah, what every else here said, Sony is in serious financial distress. They are $30 billion in debt and sinking in red, further and further by the quarters. If they can't turn their core market around, kiss SCEI goodbye in 2016. Because if they don't sell SCEI, they'll file for bankruptcy.

PS4 cannot under any circumstance change that, nor can it undo $15 billion dollars worth of losses on PS3.

Also, what's with this stupid talking point that Sony can survive alone on Playstation and that they should sell off their core Electronics brand? Did the fanboys not realize, that Sony's MAIN business has ALWAYS been electronics?

You, my dear friend, don't seem to know what the hell you are talking about. Just because Sony sold it's SE shares, doesn't mean that SE will stop making business with them lol.

Microsoft doesn't hold single SE share (to my knowledge), but SE still develops most of it's main franchises for XBox aswell, and you wanna know why? Because they need the sales, that's why.

SE needs Sony more than the other way around, as the Playstation is currently the best selling console of this gen and also of last gen, so abandoning Sony would be the dumbest move there is by SE.

About the exclusives, SE has gone multiplatform since FF13, and back then Sony was still holding the shares. Also SE develops a shitload of japan only exclusives for sony platforms, and they will keep doing so if they wanna make any money, and believe it or not, the japanese market is very important to japanese companies, so SE won't abandon it's dear friend, no worries Wink

Last edited by ZaZaBoY on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6