• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Spring Anime Series Ranked By Number of Twitter Followers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Not watched Mekaku City Actors yet, trying to save it until I can marathon most of the series (assuming I enjoy it). Same with a few shows this spring.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
Mekaku City's first episode was generic as hell. How is it getting all these followers? Only explanation: bunch of new anime watchers.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Mekaku City's first episode was generic as hell. How is it getting all these followers? Only explanation: bunch of new anime watchers.

Because it the twitter account for the entire project.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

Is generic comparing to Bakemonagatari and shaft.

Mekaku City is an adaptation of the second most famous light novel in Japan, Kagerou days. Light novel that is inspired in a group of super popular songs(the songs project are called kagerou days also), I believe that the creator of the songs is the writer of the light novel too.
Because of that and the fact that is made by shaft and the staff of Bakemonogatari, Mekaku City's is one of the most anticipated anime of the season.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm unsurprised that Mekakucity Actors is on top of a Twitter follower list. The premise itself is about teenagers in hoodies and vocaloids, pretty much the kind of person who'd use Twitter lol.

Anyway, I'm just happy that Mekakucity Actors is very popular. It seems that only several years ago I was complaining that the anime industry doesn't make stuff I like anymore, and suddenly in the last few months the stuff I like are the big hits (Attack on Titan and this season, Mekakucity Actors).

I don't know if it's an indication that the trends are changing, or if I've simply become better at looking for material that appeals to me.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I'm unsurprised that Mekakucity Actors is on top of a Twitter follower list. The premise itself is about teenagers in hoodies and vocaloids, pretty much the kind of person who'd use Twitter lol.

Anyway, I'm just happy that Mekakucity Actors is very popular. It seems that only several years ago I was complaining that the anime industry doesn't make stuff I like anymore, and suddenly in the last few months the stuff I like are the big hits (Attack on Titan and this season, Mekakucity Actors).

I don't know if it's an indication that the trends are changing, or if I've simply become better at looking for material that appeals to me.

What makes you think the mekaku city anime is a big hit? Because the info we do have(the Amazon rankings) seems to suggest otherwise.

You can't exactly call something a hit this early in the season. How do they gain profit from having twitter followers?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
What makes you think the mekaku city anime is a big hit? Because the info we do have(the Amazon rankings) seems to suggest otherwise.

You can't exactly call something a hit this early in the season. How do they gain profit from having twitter followers?

Probably should rephrase that and say that it's likely to be a big hit, at least if the fanbase from Kagerou Project also become the fanbase for Mekakucity Actors.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Probably should rephrase that and say that it's likely to be a big hit, at least if the fanbase from Kagerou Project also become the fanbase for Mekakucity Actors.

The current amazon rankings seems to suggest otherwise, I would be surprised if it hit 10k. Volume 1 is currently ranked at 244#, and still slowly going down.

Source
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

The current amazon rankings seems to suggest otherwise, I would be surprised if it hit 10k. Volume 1 is currently ranked at 244#, and still slowly going down.

Source

Hmm, that's disappointing. I wonder if SHAFT's style put off the project's original fans.

Well, it is still early in the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2