• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Gets New Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
...The new film will feature the characters from the original series.

As in the original american cast (or some)? Really?!
I'm torn between being highly skeptical (It's probably just a few of the old Rangers somehow helping out the newer ones or whoever is the Rangers now, which is just totally cliché and lame) and having the kid inside me who LOVED this show being absolutely thrilled!

They said 'characters', not cast. Laughing

lmao, yes, yes they did Laughing !
So, then it's probably new people playing old characters- now.... now I'm a little less excited than I was before... BUT! That being said, c'mon! Y'know they gotta have a couple cameos, right?
I highly doubt the guy who did the green/white ranger is just gonna sit by and not try to get in on this~
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
They said 'characters', not cast. Laughing

Quick Alpha. Recruit a new team of teenagers with attitude.
Zellion

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
All I know is. If they insist on making a new movie and getting new actors. At the very least, get actors than can do martial arts, like the old days.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Zellion wrote:
All I know is. If they insist on making a new movie and getting new actors. At the very least, get actors than can do martial arts, like the old days.

The ones they have now can do martial arts.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Man, seriously, do they really have to do this movie of a series that was 20 years ago? Why not do the legendary war as a movie and not an episode? that would have been awesome. Would have put the company back in my opinion instead of using something in the past.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is really weird. There's no way that the original actors will return (obviously) so there won't be as strong a sense of nostalgia as there could have been, but I won't complain about that since everybody has moved on with their own lives and other projects.

I'm really wondering exactly what this movie would cover. I mean, it'll obviously cover some sort of conflict with Rita, but what if they tie in Zedd with it? I might be in the minority here but I think it would be cool to see a final showdown with Rita be the first part of the movie and have Zedd blindside them as they are celebrating. I guess it depends on how well they write each part as to how much they can put in.

Speaking of well written, I really hope that the actors they choose have a lot of personality to go along with their martial arts skills. I know that the originals weren't deep, nuanced individuals, but I wouldn't want to see cardboard cutouts while trying to immerse myself in nostalgia.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Finally, Power Rangers is finally getting a major big budget theatrical film! I would definitely be interested to seeing how Lionsgate will handle adapting the original series that is Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and try to adapt it to modern times.

With all of Lionsgate's biggest and most popular franchises done or on the verge of finishing, I would think that the Power Rangers series will actually help provide the studio more longevity in having Power Rangers be their own big superhero franchise to compete against Marvel/Disney and WB/DC if they ever get this off the ground.

I mean granted, it may probably stay in development hell for a bit but since Saban is involved, something tells me that this live action big budget reboot of the Power Rangers saga starting with the one that started it all will probably be good.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm going to go play the bucket head opening on my guitar now.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Didn't most of the original actors go their separate ways and get normal jobs? Can't wait to see how they pull this off.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
I have just realized this. At the very least will they have Bryan Cranston voice one of the monsters in the movie? Surprised
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
there going to do a new power rangers give based on MMPR?

give reading on it seem give same characters but new reboot version of it?

since recall over 20s yrs since days of MMPR yet it seem reboot-remake of it?

yet wonder if anyone past MMPR will at least make appear/cameo on it?
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Didn't most of the original actors go their separate ways and get normal jobs?

Austin St. John (Jason) has worked as an emergency response worker/paramedic overseas for the past several years.

Walter Jones (Zack) does occasional bit parts in films.

David Yost (Billy) is an activist for equal marriage, and briefly returned to acting in 2010.

Thuy Trang (Trini) died in a car accident back in 2001.

Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly) is still an actress, and had a starring role in Flashpoint.

Jason David Frank (Tommy) is an MMA fighter and runs his own dojos. There's also reports that his ego can be seen from space.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:
I still don't understand how people could like Bulk and Skull. I always thought that they were the absolute worst thing about the show when I was a kid.

There were the only real thing Power Rangers did right on it's own. The fight footage was all Japanese stock footage so we can't credit them for that, which leaves the out of suit stuff. And in that regard we have a choice between 5 teenagers who hang out in a healthy juice bar and volunteer to pick up trash at the park when they're not studying and doing homework, or two bumbling Laurel and Hardy-esque idiots who eventually went on to steal the show when they became cops and detectives. The latter were more interesting to me, personally.

A lot of the fight footage was original for the Mighty Morphin' team the further it went along. By the time the third season came around there was more original than Japanese, except for zord footage.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
As usual Hollywood is out of ideas and just looking for ways to make a quick buck. I loved MMPR, heck I remember watching it when it first came out during my childhood. I practically grew up on that show. But come on, like most great movies or shows, sometimes they deserve to be left alone as is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I don’t see this being very successful. The 90’s are gone. And even back then when Power Rangers was at the height of its success, the movies weren’t well received.

veemonjosh wrote:
Jason David Frank (Tommy) is an MMA fighter and runs his own dojos. There's also reports that his ego can be seen from space.

That’s the impression I got. I met Jason last year at Wizard World and he was kind of a d-bag. During his Meet & Greet session, he spent the majority of the event telling us how much he hates Austin St. John because of some drama that happened 20 years ago. Not only that, he was passive-aggressive regarding CM Punk over some stupid MMA match, and he even badmouthed Amy Jo Johnson. What he said about her was really disgusting and made me lose all respect I had for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3