• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon's Premiere Event Excludes Men — Unless Accompanied by Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
Do people even read the article? They're not excluding men, they're stipulating that they be accompanied by a female. Which is their right as the organizers of a private event.

This isn't sexism, fellas. This is capitalism.

Well let's be honest.

Any male that would be interested isn't getting a date to go with. Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
GATSU wrote:
What about transsexuals? Rolling Eyes

Transsexuals are people who fully undergo hormone therapy and get corrective surgery. Unless they felt a need to go digging through all their history to find what sex they were born as, I'd assume they'd be able to get in.

Uh, no, many trangender people have not gone through gender reassignment surgery. I'd assume it's not cheap and probably not available in many countries at all. The surgery is separate from whether or not someone is trans. There's also the matter of changing it for legal identification purposes, which I'd imagine is impossible in Japan.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Well let's be honest.

Any male that would be interested isn't getting a date to go with. Laughing

Really? Do you speak from personal experience on the subject?

If this is meant as a joke then it, and the others like it, are really not that funny. Har har guys who like more female oriented shows are losers and can't get laid hur hur. So original! If it's serious then it's even less funny. I happen to be a male who very much enjoyed watching the series in its prime and would have liked to go to this given a chance. It's an iconic title. Oh and I do happen to have a gf and have had this one for 4 years now. Had a few before her too.

As for the actual topic at hand I don't have a problem with it. As Zac pointed out this is a promotional event. At such events they want certain people there to give the event the type of publicity they're going for. It's much different then saying that ALL theater showings are female only unless the guy is a +1. That would be totally different.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It was a joke.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if sailor moon has that many male fans in Japan to outnumber female fans, maybe some cosplayers will get in there. Twisted Evil
manapear

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ascalon8 wrote:
manapear wrote:
That's exciting and pretty cool! I wonder why ViVi is the magazine that does all of the collabs though? Is it because of parent company, or target audience?

I also cannot wait for the cries of sexism.

You're honestly okay with this B.S.? What if it was the other way around then. By god this is stupid.

I didn't say I was okay with it, but anyone that knows/understand the term sexism should know that it isn't sexist. But sure enough, there was a bit of that, wasn't there?

To be honest? The other way around does typically and often happen - and sometimes it's not outright stated that no women/girls period are allowed (just like here), but they'll make them feel unwelcome and excluded.

But, Zac and another member explained the situation well and I don't think there needs to be any confusion anymore.

But again, no, in general excluding anyone from anything because of gender/ethnicity/etc is not okay - but lets not pretend it's already a fair and equal world at the same time, right? But I think male BSSM fans that care won't be hurt by the rule, and they'll probably be able to go (because they'd have a friend, family member or partner to attend with).

But there are plenty of people that won't get to go period, right? What about them? I'm one of them, and I feel sad for myself. TTuTT
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me, but I find this topic very confusing. It's very sad people can't be for equality without the a person I disagree with politically insults being thrown around like they're going out of style. I'm not sure what people want here. Do people have poor reading comprehension or do they just twist words to find arguments? Looking at this thread, it seems to boil down to something like this:

Side A: "Yes friend, sexism is bad. I believe everyone should be equal and on even footing. Discrimination against women, men, or whatever other gender you call yourself is a terrible thing. We should all be on the same ground and I hope one day we can all be united as one and past these silly practices
Side B: "Hah, tip your fedora harder, manchild. If you're a man you just have to suck it up and deal with it when people discriminate against you. Tough luck if you yourself never committed sexism, just your gender is enough to make me laugh when I see you complain about things like this. Women go through it, so that means you can never complain about it or be for equality! Now YOU get to suffer, hahaha"

Is that basically how the line of thinking goes around here? It sure seems like it judging by this thread. And where does that leave transeuxals and transgenders? How do they fit into this mess of insult flingings? When you can't be for equality without being called an a person I disagree with politically it gives a poor indication of you. The idea to be against gender discrimination being met with insults confuses me greatly. Isn't it a good thing to be against discrimination? Can someone please explain the a person I disagree with politically thing?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
If I was a single Japanese guy into Sailor Moon, I just wouldn't support anything about the new series. You don't want me associated with your products and events? Cool. More money in my pocket to spend on something else.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:
GATSU wrote:
What about transsexuals? Rolling Eyes

Transsexuals are people who fully undergo hormone therapy and get corrective surgery. Unless they felt a need to go digging through all their history to find what sex they were born as, I'd assume they'd be able to get in.

Uh, no, many trangender people have not gone through gender reassignment surgery. I'd assume it's not cheap and probably not available in many countries at all. The surgery is separate from whether or not someone is trans. There's also the matter of changing it for legal identification purposes, which I'd imagine is impossible in Japan.

The comment I responded to said transsexuals, not transgender people. A transsexual person has undergone hormone therapy, got corrective surgery and has fully transitioned to the sex they feel they are. If you're transgender, you haven't fully transitioned, or you're still pre-everything.

Also, apparently in 2008, Japan passed a law stating that if a person underwent corrective surgery they could change their legal gender. Or at least wikipedia says

I'm a transgender person myself, I study this stuff cause, you know, it actually applies to me.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Seems like an odd thing to do. Pretty Cure learned to embrace it's male fans and capitalize on them. I'm not sure how big this event is though. If it's just some small thing then so be it, but if other events start doing this I wonder how it will affect sales. It's already dubious to release Sailor Moon when Pretty Cure is still huge, so it seems foolish to ostracize part of your audience when you need all the help you can get.

-Stuart Smith
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It's been explained that this is a publicity event run by a ladies' magazine and they want specific demo optics so that the publicity photos that come out of it match the image they're trying to sell along with the product.

You may not like their methods, but it is a choice being made by a private company in order to sell a product.

I don't see any reason to let this keep going because it's just going to get nastier and nastier and the argument that's happening has precious little to do with the event itself.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5