• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Iron Wok Jan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:41 am Reply with quote
Riiiight...so the Iron Chef is posting about a cooking manga. Big surprise.

I wanted to find out if anyone has read this Iron Wok Jan, and what their opinions are on it. Is it worth anything at all?

Also, tankoubons are just volumes, not GNs, right?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:03 am Reply with quote
I've only heard good things about this title. It's been released in America so more people have read it. There's another cooking manga called Yakitate!! Japan. I haven't read it but it something about bread...dunno.

Oh, tankoubons is the Japanese equivalent word for graphic novel. Volumes falls into the same category.
spewmuffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first five volumes of Iron Wok Jan and I personally love it. I was up on a school night reading through from beginning of 3rd book until the end of 5th in one continuous sitting because it was so engaging that I couldn't put it down for the night.

So you already know it's a cooking manga. What's so engrossing is that the author gives a clear-cut motivation behind each chef's reason for cooking and the character development and interaction is quite believable (even if Jan is simply wacked, we see the reason why he is so).

I'm not exactly sure if ComicsOne has released the 6th GN yet, but the end of 5th is a nice resting point for me. I know that if I get to a cliffhanger, it'll be torture!!!

So... in my opinions, it's very much worth it. How about anybody else's?

--
SpewMuffin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:39 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
Oh, tankoubons is the Japanese equivalent word for graphic novel. Volumes falls into the same category.

Mayhaps I'm confusing volumes with chapters... The Encyclopedia sez that there are 27 tankoubons for IWJ, so does that mean there is going to be 27 GNs released? If you'll pardon the pun, that's a heapin' helpin' o' manga-y goodness.

You've both intrigued me enough to pick this title up, though. Thanks for the comments! Maybe I can pick up a recipe or twain from the books. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:47 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's a final count on IWJ, but I looked on the anime/manwha comparison list on animeondvd, and it listed that there were 27 volumes for the US. I dunno, maybe comics one has some info?

Yeah, they list 27 volumes, as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1