• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
Space Dandy is comedy, Its voice acting isn't so hot and they censor. Hardly anything racy. Gurren Lagann has more so than Dandy, which isn't experimental dumbed down comedy for export.

Are you kidding me with this?

That's the only part you took exception to and not the "hardly anything racy" part when talking about a show where they characters regularly hang out at a place called Boobies and there's usually a half naked chick and lot of fan service in nearly every episode?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
And they're supposedly going to replace "Blue Exorcist" with this. I guess it's Toonami's way of saying "Sorry you had to suffer through this. We had no idea BE would be 20 episodes of nothing happening. It looked way better in the previewers."

nooo! I love Blue Exorcist. Am excited to watch gurren lagann again though
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Just-another-face wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
Space Dandy is comedy, Its voice acting isn't so hot and they censor. Hardly anything racy. Gurren Lagann has more so than Dandy, which isn't experimental dumbed down comedy for export.

Are you kidding me with this?

That's the only part you took exception to and not the "hardly anything racy" part when talking about a show where they characters regularly hang out at a place called Boobies and there's usually a half naked chick and lot of fan service in nearly every episode?

Emerje

I meant that Gurren Lagann is less racy than Space Dandy. I meant also Space Dandy's voice action wasn't so great in comparison to the original. I can't speak Japanese, but I can tell voice actors were doing good job. The English dubbers didn't quiet match up.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay after having read a good majority of this thread it's time for me to weigh in.

First off, I've not seen much of this show as mecha/robot themed animes really don't resonate with me well, with few exceptions. With that said, I'm happy it'll be on Toonami for those of us that aren't into anime all that much yet, and it's good for those of us that didn't have a chance to see it completely during its original runs or if you don't have the DVD/Blu-RAYs. That pretty much summarizes what this thread's arguments are about, except for this:

Second, to those of you that are (lack of better words, and no offense intended) whining and complaining (I know it's not that many) about GL being on at 2AM or later, here's a simple solution: since you're already paying for cable I assume some or most of you out there have and pay for monthly some sort of DVR service (be it something custom and HTPC based like what I use (MythTV, which is free of monthly charges, but not for the faint of heart) or a simple TiVO-type setup. Look up when it's going to air (in this case 2AM) and set it, and forget it. Then come back to it later in the day or night.. whenever you have time to watch. There. Problem solved.

Yes, I do agree that it'd be better for it to be on at a more prime time, but if that happened there'd likely be A LOT of edits that would need to be done to keep the rating boards happy. The exact same thing happened back in the 90s when Toonami touched many of us and made us into the anime Otaku we all are now. Granted, even when they put shows on after midnight, when many of the younger kids are asleep, there still can be some editing, and I take issue with that. That part doesn't make sense. I very much dislike censorship (and dubs for that matter), but I'll save that for another time and another thread.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

As opposed to how many other shows that have similar things going on?

Wrangler wrote:
I meant also Space Dandy's voice action wasn't so great in comparison to the original. I can't speak Japanese, but I can tell voice actors were doing good job. The English dubbers didn't quiet match up.

If you don't speak the language, then you have no idea what they're saying or how they're saying it. So no, you can't tell at all. And what the hell is "voice action"?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
While Canada still waits for something other than Pokemon
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
...Considering Blue Exorcist just had a repeat episode,...

Blue Exorcist has been running new episodes every week. I don't think they have ever run a repeat episode.

Space Dandy isn't all that racy, why should it be? It's a blank canvas for animators to do whatever comedy related animation and plot they want, and it's innovative in that way. Yuasa's episode this past week was fantastic.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
I meant also Space Dandy's voice action wasn't so great in comparison to the original. I can't speak Japanese, but I can tell voice actors were doing good job. The English dubbers didn't quiet match up.

If you don't speak the language, then you have no idea what they're saying or how they're saying it. So no, you can't tell at all. And what the hell is "voice action"?

Good acting is good acting and bad acting is bad regardless of the language. It shows. If a performance is convincing or captivating, it will make a strong impression on you regardless of language barriers or the presence of physical faces or bodies on a screen (or lack there of). Not speaking/understanding a language hasn't stopped anyone from heaping accolades on an actor from another land or learning from and being inspired by them in their own pursuit of becoming one in their own country. Even in acting where it is dependent solely on ones' voice, who's good and who isn't can still standout with universal qualities like tone, intent, effectiveness, and believability.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Good acting is good acting and bad acting is bad regardless of the language. It shows. If a performance is convincing or captivating, it will make a strong impression on you regardless of language barriers or the presence of physical faces or bodies on a screen (or lack there of). Not speaking/understanding a language hasn't stopped anyone from heaping accolades on an actor from another land or learning from and being inspired by them in their own pursuit of becoming one in their own country. Even in acting where it is dependent solely on ones' voice, who's good and who isn't can still standout with universal qualities like tone, intent, effectiveness, and believability.

That's not what I asked the guy.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
That's not what I asked the guy.

My point wasn't to address your question (which sounded more like sarcasm at first glance), but to rebut your statement. Since you were honestly asking that, I'm sure that was a typo for "voice acting"...
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I have little hopes for Cartoon networks, never mind Syfy.

I loved Gurren Lagann, but American Cable Networks have always handled mature/non-cartoonish anime shows badly and censored snot out of them or butcher them. I'm not saying this will be the case, but i'm done with cable.

I feel sorry people who aren't able watch stuff through Crunchyroll and lesser though Cracker. Networks are bad now.

yeah, my days of watching anime on the TV are over too, but I'm still glad this stuff is out there on TV and people are watching it, anime needs that kind of visibility again
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:

yeah, my days of watching anime on the TV are over too, but I'm still glad this stuff is out there on TV and people are watching it, anime needs that kind of visibility again

Toonami isn't bad now. Uncut One Piece and Naruto is good. Black Lagoon is nice. Yeah, just one night a week, but it could be worse.

Somebody mentioned Crackle, but Crackle isn't HD. So it kind of sucks watching anime on it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Crackle also has ads. That are placed at specific timestamps. Which means you'll get one in the middle of a sentence.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Just-another-face wrote:

And yet, when Japanese anime creators are tasked to decide the English voice actors (see: Naoko Takeuchi), they're always questioned whether they know English enough to know what's good English voice acting. Why give them the double standard! Laughing

Anyways, the first half of Toonami gets around 1 million viewers - that's more than who watch late-night anime in Japan or buy Blu-rays or subscribe to Crunchyroll. And ya guys gotta realize that Toonami watchers are not hardcore anime watchers who watch every anime as they air streaming. They're different from us here; we are not an example of a Toonami watcher - so don't confuse our habits to be their habits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6