• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Be aware! ebay has changed their money back guarantee

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
this basically applies to sellers

ebay has changed the guarantee, sellers are now responsible for return shipping.

what this means is, someone can buy a product and if they feel it is 'not as described' they can print a shipping label directly from ebay to ship it back to you and your account will be charged - without your authorization.

because this is not going to be abused, right?
I may have to stop using ebay again.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't offer returns or exchanges on any of my items (explicitly stipulated in the listing's description AND confirmed with ebay's return options checkbox before publishing), so I assume buyers can't even access this feature without first involving ebay; at which point, I could plead my case before the buyer has a chance to do anything without my permission...?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
even if you use "no returns accepted" a buyer can claim item is not as described and return the item without going through the arbitration process and your account will be charged for the shipping. This will start around 9/15.

another thing you may want to know - even if the buyer mails you an empty box or an incomplete item with missing parts, as long as they have a tracking number, usually ebay will side with the buyer and give them a full refund or put a hold on the seller's funds.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Amazon's been doing this, since like...forever.

Though, it only applies if the buyer makes a claim. And believe me, some of them immediately file it for utterly bullshit reasons.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
even if you use "no returns accepted" a buyer can claim item is not as described and return the item without going through the arbitration process and your account will be charged for the shipping. This will start around 9/15.

Well that's pretty absurd. I mean, they absolutely should force sellers to cover return shipping. If it actually isn't as described then why should the buyer be out any money at all? But only after a proper arbitration and judgement to confirm the legitimacy of the claim.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember when eBay had something called "Seller Protection". But, hey, the half of your market that brings in buyers isn't exactly important.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Once they took away a seller's ability to leave negative or even neutral feedback for a buyer, It was clear that things were starting to tilt in favor of buyers.

I can honestly handle all these changes if more buyers would just leave feedback. It really irks me that more people don't leave feedback. I'd say one out of every 10 buyers leaves me feedback despite my stating to them that I won't leave feedback until they do. Buyers don't really care about feedback once they've achieved enough positivity to be seen as unproblematic, but small-time sellers (like myself) rely on every bit of reputation boost they can get.
Akaname

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
1 out of ten buyers leave you feedback? That seems awfully low. You 'd probably get more if you didn't hold out on them. I try to leave feedback after the tracking shows it was delivered. Sort of a reminder for the buyer to do the same. It seems to work maybe 75% of the time.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I do not bother with amazon used market since I have had problems in the past. I do have an amazon prime account so I can get anime delivered in 2 days for free if I want. Wink
I may try ebid or bonanza and see if anyone uses them lol.

during the holidays I do well into the thousands of dollars on ebay selling used computer hardware and anime figures that I have been collecting for years.

I don't mind accepting returns, if the buyer wants to ship it back. Because there is always that one guy who will buy a used 100$ graphic card and then a week later his friend will tell him something stupid like evga is better, and he will try to return it.

I have had people try to return brand new figmas, as well. Now ebay wants me to pay 10$ shipping and pay 10$ return shipping and charge me 13% in fees? that is not happening. Last week I had someone say they could not pay in cash and wanted to trade me instead so I accepted a figma as payment. It ended up being counterfeit but I let it go and didn't say anything. I get numerous requests to lower prices all the time and this policy is not going to help young kids manage their money properly.

And that brings up another point, counterfeit items of authentic goods on ebay are getting out of hand. I have a box of snow miku figmas I cannot sell because like 15 chinese guys are selling counterfeits for 20$. No one wants to pay 50$ for a real one and the counterfeit ones sell very fast and mine is the cheapest authentic one on ebay for weeks.

ebay is going in the wrong direction. they seem to be doing everything to get buyers to browse, but that is absolutely useless if all the honest sellers end up leaving due to the extreme fees and pushing off all the financial responsibility on the sellers.

If ebay wants to offer a money back guarantee - then ebay needs to pay that fee themselves. Ebay, the we don't auction, we 'negotiate' site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1