• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man With A Decepticon Maserati Is Arrested For Impersonating Police

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julliant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
So, is it just TOO obvious to make the joke that he should've been arrested anyway for being a fan of Michael Bay?

Even the most ardent of Michael Bay haters would admit that Barricade was a cool concept.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
Man thats a nice car, and I applaud him for basing it on Barricade (got the toy when the movie came out). That said, even though when it is parked you can see all the Transformers stuff, if I saw that while driving, my first instinct would be "oh shit a cop car". Especially since lately I've started seeing quite a bit more variety in police cars (especially Chargers) around SoCal. Not to mention you don't really notice the detailing when you're driving (something that's happened to me with mistaking retired cop cars for real ones). Still, it would be a shame to have to get rid of that car...

His theory of cars slowing down when spotting the car seems to work.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Deleted a few posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posted deleted?

Then don't over-quote.
stonehand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
The car doesn't even have police lights on top of it!

Neither do a lot of newer police cars, at least where I'm at.

Same as here. Most of the police cars, both city and state, around here have the paint job and decals, but no light bar or mass of antennas. Lets them blend in better with traffic.
zachary.zhang.144

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to read the commends! You should know these days a lot of news are baseless and not true. I have never been arrested for this stupid charge. And I got approved for this design at the beginning. Just see how my lawyer beats the crap out of Braintree Police Department in the court. Very Happy Oh! just wish officer Blake Holt will actually show up on the court that day.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
zachary.zhang.144 wrote:
It's interesting to read the commends! You should know these days a lot of news are baseless and not true. I have never been arrested for this stupid charge. And I got approved for this design at the beginning. Just see how my lawyer beats the crap out of Braintree Police Department in the court. Very Happy Oh! just wish officer Blake Holt will actually show up on the court that day.

Good day Mr. Zhang! I'm the author of this article and would like to follow up with you if possible. I'm sending a PM over your way.

Thanks so much!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny that people are defending him impersonating a police vehicle and saying only an idiot would fall for it.

This guy is a dumbass imo but at least he didn't have bad intentions. If this guy was luring children into his car, pulling over women and raping them, or any other thing where his fake cop car was primarily how he fooled people, I wonder if we'd be calling the victims idiots for not recognizing something so "obvious"?

He should face whatever penalties you get for impersonating an officer.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
He was impersonating a Decepticon vehicle from the Transformer movies, not actually impersonating the police. You have to be actually pretending to use police powers or representing yourself as a actual police officer.

If all he was doing was driving around in his Transformer's movie Decepticon replica, then he was not committing a crime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I badly wish this goes to court to establish a precedent, otherwise police officers all over the USA will be able to stop anyone under the pretense that "your car looked to me like a police car" and with all the models and color police cars come nowadays, any car can be said to look like some (past of present) model of police car.

I do not know what is more frightening, that this happened in the first place or that some many people living in the USA think it is right, it is like they are screaming "Take my fundamental rights and shut up" <--- insert Futurame's Fry with a USA constitution on his fist.
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
God, there are times I wish I was an attorney. I'd be salivating while thinking about how to spend my 40% cut of the 6-figure settlement that I'd be collecting in the very near future.

I wonder if the arresting officer is equally confused by the hundred or so white/silver/grey Crown Victorias/Impalas/Chargers they see on the street every day?
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
"Police Impersonation" is legally defined as "an act of falsely portraying oneself as a member of the police, for the purpose of deception" and specifically for vehicles "The imposter places police lights, decals, siren, or other equipment on a personal vehicle to disguise it as a police car and enable the offender to pass through red traffic lights, bypass traffic other non-emergency traffic would have to wait for."

They have to prove he was blatantly trying to deceive people and get around traffic to charge him with anything. It will absolutely be tossed out in court. I'm really surprised by the comments here, your car vaguely resembling a police vehicle that you drive while obeying all traffic laws =/= impersonating a police officer. The cop who arrested him over this should be fined for wasting taxpayer resources.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
leesahlynn wrote:
"Police Impersonation" is legally defined as "an act of falsely portraying oneself as a member of the police, for the purpose of deception" and specifically for vehicles "The imposter places police lights, decals, siren, or other equipment on a personal vehicle to disguise it as a police car and enable the offender to pass through red traffic lights, bypass traffic other non-emergency traffic would have to wait for."

Decepticon = Deception
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
leesahlynn wrote:
"Police Impersonation" is legally defined as "an act of falsely portraying oneself as a member of the police, for the purpose of deception" ...

Decepticon = Deception

I was going to write a post saying "inb4 someone says Decepticon = Deception" but I did not thinking "Come on, nobody is going to do it" *facepalm* Amurrica, more than meets the eye ...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Have ya guys seen these most expensive police squad cars (up to $4 million Bugatti Veyron)? Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I was going to write a post saying "inb4 someone says Decepticon = Deception" but I did not thinking "Come on, nobody is going to do it" *facepalm* Amurrica, more than meets the eye ...

You should expect stupid comments in a stupid argument.

If the car had a simple Bluesmobile paint job, it likely wouldn't have been a big deal, but once the guy added lettering and numbers in the places you'd expect them on a police vehicle, you're skirting a line you probably shouldn't be skirting as a law-abiding citizen.

And I doubt it helped cops, as it could make it harder for them to meet their ticket quotas each month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6