• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Popular Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Yes, that's another problem actually. On top of the scenes where they just bully Tomoko for shits and giggles, the show also likes to bully her to gain sympathy from the audience. Which isn't really much better.

Good lord, you really have missed the point. By about a country mile no less.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Tomoko was completely unsympathetic in the manga...

Newsflash; the anime is not the manga.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I might be in the minority here, but I actually like the TV ending for Gatchaman Crowds. I don't think the battle really matters. It makes the series narratively incomplete, but I think thematically, it works just fine.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
I might be in the minority here, but I actually like the TV ending for Gatchaman Crowds. I don't think the battle really matters. It makes the series narratively incomplete, but I think thematically, it works just fine.

I can see where it can be said not to interfere with the main narrative, but according to the Gatchaman Crowds wiki, the final episode was edited and truncated due to animation deadlines not being met in time for broadcast. That is why the missing scenes are in the 13th episode (OVA).

In either case, what's done is done.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The first 3 or 4 episodes of Terror In Resonance were excellent. Very suspenseful, intriguing, they had impressive animation and at that point it was pretty dark and still quite original. Since then it has nose-dived rapidly into a predictable and very cliche show with too many elements from various other stories slapped together for shock value(even though there really is no "shock", since it has all been seen before). My biggest issue is with that annoying pink haired girl, Five. Is it possible to be more cliche than that? God, I hate the inclusion of her into the show so much that I might even drop it and wait till it's finished to watch the rest. Right now it just doesn't seem to be using its 11 episodes very efficiently, there is too much mystery still surrounding everyone, and the predictability is nauseating. Knowing that Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe are involved in this show only infuriates me even more. Are you trolling us Watanabe?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Yes, that's another problem actually. On top of the scenes where they just bully Tomoko for shits and giggles, the show also likes to bully her to gain sympathy from the audience. Which isn't really much better.

Good lord, you really have missed the point. By about a country mile no less.

I basically just repeated what you said with less flattering words.

It's a pretty damn shallow series so I don't get what point there is to miss. Truth be told I actually wanted to give the show a chance because a bunch of people I hate didn't like the show. But no matter what way I try to look at it a bad show is a bad show plain and simple. And I'm certainly not going to force myself to like it just to oppose those people.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow.

The whole point of the story is not to bully Tomoko, either for "shits and giggles" or any other reason.

Perhaps you completely bypassed the awkwardness of being a teenager and therefore had a fantastic high school experience, and if that's true then congratulations on winning life's lottery. But for many viewers Tomoko's ordeals actually strike close to home. Her level of social isolation and especially the severity of her setbacks are exaggerated, but the underlying principles, thoughts and emotions still ring true. That's why we sympathise with her, because 1): we know and understand what she's going through, and 2): because the plucky girl never gives up, and we know that salvation is beyond the horizon.

Whether intentional or not, what you've done is set up this enormous strawman and, based on it, falsely decried the show as being bad. But Watamote is nothing like you describe it as, and in actuality is a masterpiece of social commentary.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
It's funny to me that people have such a negative reaction to Tomoko's situations and are like deeply upset by them. They're bog standard teen angst stuff stretched to the extreme for comedic effect. You guys seem like the type that would organize a protest if the weatherman said it's raining cats and dogs outside because there's nothing funny about dropping animals from large heights and animal cruelty is no joke.

Quote:
While some may find her struggles endearing and pitiable, others may find them infuriating and too exaggerated.

I can see that but I'd scratch my head at anyone coming into this thinking it's going to be a completely accurate and realistic simulation of life.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
A lot of bullies, don't see themselves as bullies, others revel in the power it gives them.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Tomoko == George Costanza.
ehh123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The art directors of Gatchaman Crowds are now holding those titles on Sailor Moon Crystal. That would explain why both shows look pretty despite the latter's wonky animation. (Thanks, Toei!)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I must say pretty damn impressive shelf life this week, I'm truly envious of that collection.

Now has far as watamote goes your either going to love or hate this series. Personally I loved the series because I was able to connect to tomoko's character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to getting Watamote. Shame it's so expensive...

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Oh, and let's not forget that Tomoko has an awful personality which she does next to nothing to change.
So how are you going with changing YOUR awful personality? Sorry, that's not a dig, what I'm trying to say is that becoming aware of one's personality defects is extremely difficult to do (especially for an inexperienced teen), and changing is even harder. Also, the standard arc from story problem to triumph and self-understanding is not the only way to tell a story.

dtm42 wrote:
The show isn't about "this socially awkward girl is pathetic, now laugh at her". Tomoko is actually a sympathetic character, a moe character that deserves a big hug, not someone to poke fun of.
This I agree with - Tomoko is a moe character, for me anyway. Some people like tsunderes, but I can't stand them. Different people like different things.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
ehh123 wrote:
The art directors of Gatchaman Crowds are now holding those titles on Sailor Moon Crystal. That would explain why both shows look pretty despite the latter's wonky animation. (Thanks, Toei!)

Is this sarcastic? Oh Lord, I hope you are being sarcastic.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
It seems like whether or not someone will like Watamote depends on how they will see Tamako. A girls whose problems are exaggerated to the point of making her behaviour funny or a girl with a mental illness, apparently social anxiety counts as one, who more than anything should get professional help in the form of a good therapy. The first one may be hilarious, the second one not at all, especially since people often think, at least I hope they do, that someone’s suffering, like illness or disability, is no laughing matter.

I remember that I had a similar problem with Nodame live-action. In anime she was presented as extravagant person and it was fine, but in live-action she behaved like someone who suffers from autism and it was not fun.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

It's not an awful ending, it's just a bit rushed and confusing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4