• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Capcom Producer: Street Fighter Eventually Coming to PS4, Xbox One

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:

I took it as a joke that a lot of games are movies these days, and label themselves as "cinematic experiences" so we watch them instead of play them. Ah well.

Whadjahave against VNs?! Cool
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
I'd say calling a pure VN a game is a categorization failure(though I've seen suspicions of a relationship with point-and-click adventure games).
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Cinematic Experience is a general buzzword developers use to refer to games where it gives the player the illusion they're playing a game. A very overused example I see all the time are those segments in shooters where your character is forced to walk forward slowly while your AI teammates or someone over your radio talks to you and you're forced to listen to it and unable to move around as normal, or when the camera shifts upwards or to the side to show you something by force, like a building collapsing or a helicoptor flying overhead. Rather than allowing you to discover it for yourself, it uses a very hand-holding type of mechanic to ensure you don't miss it. It's a term that's come to mean when games prioritize doing cinematic style presentation over actual gameplay. Visual novels do not deceive the player on what they are, they are exactly what their name implies.

Walking Dead is a good example, it bills itself as as adventure game, but it completely lacks the elements of adventure games like puzzle solving and item hunting. It was more like a visual novel than anything else. Though it's problem was no matter what choices you made you still got the same ending, where as visual novels will generally have multiple paths and endings to choose from. I'm not sure if WD still calls itself an adventure game or not, but given it calls its installments 'seasons' and 'episodes' it's probably forgoing calling itself a game, but more of an interactive TV show.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

I'd say calling a pure VN a game is a categorization failure(though I've seen suspicions of a relationship with point-and-click adventure games).

T'was just a joke, though I agree with you. Just because VNs appear on some game platforms, generally it's literature - that's why "visual novel" is an apt name. Just like my Choose Your Own Adventure books or "audio books" are still literature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2