• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The importance of parity in adventure romance?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
While watching Sword Art Online, the series gave me the impression that, more than any other genre, adventure series (by which I include fighting series) require reasonable parity between the abilities of the lead and the love interest.

In most other genres, differing roles can be used to justify a disparity. For example, it's quite common for a mecha protagonist's love interest to be a bridge bunny--and this is acceptable, because most giant robots require a support infrastructure.

In adventure series, it's usually just the characters and their own abilities. Suddenly, what the characters can do matters. When a character can't pull her (usually her, but could be him, like Raki of Claymore infamy) own weight, she is quite obviously a burden in the adventure, and draws hate. This is a common problem in shounen action series--Orihime Inoue, Kagome Higurashi, Sakura Haruno, Yuichi Tate, etc, all accused of being useless and less deserving of the protagonist than fan favorites.

I think this is part of what made the romance in Sword Art Online so enjoyable. Yes, the protagonist is the (overpowered) fighter who has to defeat the most dangerous enemies, but his partner is a great contributor to the adventure--and not merely a spectator on the sidelines until someone needs healing. From this partnership flows naturally the expectation--realistic or not--that they will be a couple. In a sense, they are already one, just not in the conventional household sense. This is why I found Kirito and Suguha to be one of the most enjoyable anime couples I've watched in a while.

What do you think? Does parity of ability in adventure romance matter more than in most genres? Does the battle partnership transition naturally to romance because they are already a couple in a sense?
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it comes back to whether or not the character can positively impact the series with their given role while entertaining the audience. In SAO Asuna was a respected player with useful abilities so her value increased accordingly. Giving a character equal abilities to the main protagonist doesn't guarantee a hit, I think it's how those abilities are used specifically to advance the progression of the story. Asuna saved Kirito's bacon on more than one occasion. I don't normally dive into the psychology of romance in anime but I do know when it's tasteful and when it is not, dominating the adventure aspect of the show would detract from its enjoyablility imo.

A poop flavored lollipop would be more useful than Sakura, and the way she goes about in her supporting role is very bland, but if Kishimoto could somehow reinvent her personality it could be one of the best.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
This is one reason I love YatoxHiyori from Noragami. The series makes them.....well, very much partners; they are saving EACH OTHER all the time. It's balanced really well...as is KiritoxAsuna in the Aincrad part of SAO. Even if the two girls aren't quite as physically strong as their male partners, they totally make up for it in other ways.

And Kagome-haters can GTFO because that girl is awesome. She fights, she has a strong will and heart, she uses every resource available to the best of her abilities...I have no idea why people dislike her....but I do know that she has more support than hate. InuxKago is still the fan favorite pairing to this day...as it should be.

Quote:
Does the battle partnership transition naturally to romance because they are already a couple in a sense?

Normally for me....yeah. They don't HAVE to...but I get disappointed when they don't...because we see how well they go together! The trust is already there, the compatibility, the friendship etc, just throw in some sexual tension and you've got a ship of greatness. Anime hyper
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
SAO's relationship is very unique in Anime. Sure, there are still many chickes loves kirito. And probably alot of guys like Asuna too, it's just not important to put it on the story. Atleast not in the anime yet.

Atleast end, we all know Kirito and Asuna are the couple.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
When a character can't pull her ... own weight, she is quite obviously a burden in the adventure, and draws hate. This is a common problem in shounen action series-... Kagome Higurashi ... all accused of being useless and less deserving of the protagonist than fan favorites.

Have you actually watched Inuyasha?
Without Kagome there would have been no adventure. Without Kagome Inuyasha would still be stuck to that tree. Without Kagome Inuyasha would have been killed several times.
Sure, he often had to save her, but she also had to save him.
I thought that Kagome was a bit of a bitch at times, and definitely overdid it with the "Sit" command, but she was never a burden and she was always useful.
And was Kikyo really the fan favorite?

I do think that parity is important in adventure romance. A companion in arms is always better than a damsel in distress. But I think that it is important in other genres too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Really, you had to use Kirito/Asuna as your shining example of an ideal relationship in an adventure anime? Gah, my gag-reflex just kicked in. Excuse me for a moment.

Okay, I'm back. I'd put forth Lawerence/Holo (Spice and Wolf) as a good example of what you are talking about. While Holo is, of course, enormously more powerful in a physical sense than Lawerence (when she wants to be), and is far wiser than Lawerence in many ways, Lawerence still brings many things to the table, not the least of which is his kindness (though he tends to hide it) and, of course, his cleverness as a merchant. More importantly, their relationship is actually shown by both their banter and what they actually do in regards to one another.

Another example I'll bring up is Jinto/Lafiel from Crest/Banner of the Stars. Especially in Crest of the Stars, much of it is basically an adventure rather than space combat, yet we see the development of the relationship between Jinto and Lafiel, who is far above Jinto in station and in most abilities, especially the physical ones. But Jinto still brings important things to the table (much like Lawerence does above): his ability to deal with others, his calm demeanor, and his sharp appraisal of various situations: Lafiel doesn't keep him around her just because she likes him, but also because he has shown his usefulness, and his bravery, on several occasions.

I guess what I'm saying here is that even when you're talking about adventure shows, the couples in question *need not* be closely paired in physical prowess or battle strength, so long as they bring something useful to the table, usually something their partner lacks. Even Raki brought something to the table: his compassion and humanity, which helped Claire feel again, and kept her from turning into a monster.

Battle partnerships may become romantic relationships, but that is, IMO, as much because you have a man and a woman in close proximity, and on generally intimate terms (saving one another's life and whatnot), that such a result is likely. In fact, it is *more* odd that one not develop, which is one of my few hits on One Piece, even if it is intentional by the manga-ka, it still seems unnatural. The whole "pure-hearted" warrior who is blind to the attentions of the opposite sex, *especially* if they're teens, has always seemed very far-fetched to me, though I usually let it slide so that I can enjoy what the show actually offers.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Really, you had to use Kirito/Asuna as your shining example of an ideal relationship in an adventure anime? Gah, my gag-reflex just kicked in. Excuse me for a moment.

God forbid anyone discuss KiriAsu on this board without getting scathing replies full of hate from our "beloved" SAO-bashers. Reeeal mature, bro.
Like when are you guys going to give it a rest?

KiriAsu ARE certainly a good example. They trust each other, balance each other, respect each other, and are completely open with each other.

Please explain to us what part of that is so wrong and try to be civil about it. =_=

If you can't, than you're just hating for the sake of hating.

Quote:

Definitely not. Out of 10 Inu fans, you might find two who prefer Kikyou. lol
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
KiriAsu ARE certainly a good example. They trust each other, balance each other, respect each other, and are completely open with each other.

Please explain to us what part of that is so wrong and try to be civil about it. =_=

I'll admit when I first got into SAO I came in with a lot of hate for it but that was due to all the HYPE and irrational fanboys, 2 things in the anime community I absolutely detest. But after watching season 1, which I only liked the first half of, skipped elfheim, and now going on season 2 I have a more balanced approach. I find the series isn't top notch in a lot of objective categories but is just entertaining enough to keep you reeled in for the ride.
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

No, not at all, but the lack of a viable alternative does not really prevent Kagome from gathering a substantial hatedom, generally based on her lack of combat abilities.

Which is what makes the adventure genre a bit unusual. You have a certain division of roles--e.g. Kagome is the priestess with powers of purification, and Inuyasha is the combatant--, but there is sufficient immediate and personal danger that each member is expected to have good combat prowess. Kagome lacks this, so she gets a lot of hate for it.

The story can be written to get around this. For example, if there are no superhuman powers, then it's expected for the characters to succumb when put in personal danger. This is how Crest of the Stars is written. It is not that Jinto lacks personal combat abilities when he's surrounded. It's that Lafiel and the other characters would not do much better.

Chiibi wrote:

One way to start the conversation would be to explain why you like it so much.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Kagome ... substantial hatedom, generally based on her lack of combat abilities.

... but there is sufficient immediate and personal danger that each member is expected to have good combat prowess. Kagome lacks this, so she gets a lot of hate for it.

One again I have to ask if you have ever watched Inuyasha, because what you have written makes me seriously doubt that you have ever seen the show.
Kagome does not lack combat ability. She has killed quite a few demons. She does it with a bow and arrow instead of a sword or claws, but why would that diminish her ability? And she taught herself to use that bow and arrow so that she could fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Touma wrote:

No, not at all, but the lack of a viable alternative does not really prevent Kagome from gathering a substantial hatedom, generally based on her lack of combat abilities.

Yeah, since people preferred Kagome & Inuyasha, Kikyo was the less liked of the two, though I have never understood why. It was not Kikyo’s fault that Inuyasha was a wimp who could not make a manly decision which girl he likes better for more than hundred episodes until the author saved him from 'this inconvenience' by permanently spoiler[killing off Kikyo.]
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Yeah, since people preferred Kagome & Inuyasha, Kikyo was the less liked of the two, though I have never understood why.

Kikyo wanted to kill Inuyasha.
Kikyo wanted to kill Kagome.
Kikyo stayed alive, sort of, by stealing the souls of innocent people.

The negative aspects of the soul stealing were ignored, or at least minimized, later in the story. That is one of the few things that I do not like about the way that Rumiko Takahashi wrote Inuyasha.
She did the same thing with Koga. Everybody apparently forgot that he and his wolves killed and ate people, including children.

Quote:
It was not Kikyo’s fault that Inuyasha was a wimp who could not make a manly decision which girl he likes better for more than hundred episodes ...

What would be manly about ignoring somebody that you love, and who loves you, and denying that you love the person.
Inuyash was in a very difficult situation. I do not think that there was any "right" choice for him to make.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
And what is manly about keeping girls in uncertainty? Was he thinking about their feelings or just about his own dilemma? Sure, it is a difficult decision and everyone or two sides at least often suffer from it, but it is inevitable and better done earlier than latter, for the simple reason that the sooner he decided, the sooner the second person would recover and the situation would become healthier for everyone. No one is asking him to deny that he loves her just to make the situation better by stopping prolonging it, because by prolonging it he is similar to a person who unreasonably refuses to go to a dentist. The only difference is that his lack of action affects other people.

Besides, it would have been better if he had actually finally made this decision, instead of having it solved in that way it was.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
@Aylinn
I cannot think of this in terms of being "manly" and I have given my opinion so I actually have nothing else to say on the subject of Inuyasha's dilemma.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

One way to start the conversation would be to explain why you like it so much.

Um........

Chiibi wrote:
They trust each other, balance each other, respect each other, and are completely open with each other.

Hello, I just did?

Quote:
Inuyasha was in a very difficult situation. I do not think that there was any "right" choice for him to make.

I agree with this. Imagine your dead girlfriend suddenly returning to you while you're dating a new girlfriend.
Lol wtf would you do? What would most people do? What's the "right" thing to do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2