• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Nobody Loves The Weeaboo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
I don't know why Japanese people even bother with English sometimes. It's obvious from their less than half-assed attempts at translating that they didn't pay one whit of attention in school. I blame their teachers for not being native English speakers though (and since a few years ago, they've stopped the native English program too, so they have half-baked educators trying to teach a language they don't actually know and have only an inkling about).

Touma wrote:
What usage are you talking about?
That little comic that you posted does not give me any context to show what those characters think that "weeaboo" means.

I agree with Touma. Why does everyone keep linking that stupid, and rather crudely drawn, comic whenever the origin of "weeaboo" is brought up? It tells me nothing.

Because it is there origin. The word "weeaboo" was a nonsense word invented by that comic, the Perry Bible Fellowship and had nothing to do with anime or fandom originally. It was being used as a wordfilter for "wapanese" on 4chan that the current meaning surfaced.

Also don't insult the OBF, that comic is a masterpiece of surrealism and VERY clever and funny. You should look it up, because it's really good. The art style changes quite a bit too, so our doesn't always look like that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I'm still firmly of the opinion that much of the responsibility of Monster's lack of success lies on Viz themselves.

I have the same opinion. I'm not sure what happened to Viz over time, but it didn't take long for me to realize buying products from the company's collection would end up incomplete.

I take some responsibility for Monster. It's a great show, but I didn't buy it because it was licensed by Viz.

I usually don't advocate a licensor close up shop, but Viz needs to. It's unfair for the employees and fans to license a product then use a "test the waters" method on sales while trickling out product.

It's impossible to say Monster would have been a success if it were released at once, but it's difficult to ignore its sales were affected by this method of previous titles.

Viz may have dropped the ball on Monster, and a few others, but the company has improved and has had a solid track record for at least a year and a half now. They've even been engaging with the fans more and conducting regular surveys.

True they screwed up in the past, but you have to give them some credit for improving things.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question for everyone. What's a weeaboo? I have no idea what that is.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've got a question for everyone. What's a weeaboo? I have no idea what that is.

? Read the second half of the article first sentence. Or are you trolling?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Ummm,Jajanken. I'm not trolling,just asking a question. Nothing more,nothing less than that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Ummm,Jajanken. I'm not trolling,just asking a question. Nothing more,nothing less than that.

Wouldn't it hurt to have read the article before you made that comment??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I did read the article,mdo7. I just didn't know what the term meant. I meant no disrespect to anyone.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

? Read the second half of the article first sentence. Or are you trolling?

After being laughed/ignored off the board several months ago, he returns in monthly phases, basically reads the last post and tries to say "Can I post again now?" after he hopes we've forgotten and the coast is clear.
In a word, he DOESN'T have a clue what's going on, but hopes he can bluff long enough to get some American discussion in there, no matter what...Call him the Reverse Weeaboo.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I did read the article,mdo7. I just didn't know what the term meant.

The article does not give a concise definition of "weeaboo," and I do not think that there really is a clear generally accepted definition.
Just think of a weeaboo as a person who does the things that Justin mentioned in the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Thank you,Touma,for at least answering my question. I appreciate that. As for you,EricJ2,I'm not trying to get on your nerves. I just asked a question of everyone,mostly because I had no idea what a weeabo was. Could it be that I was merely asking a question because I had no idea what a word was and I wasn't doing it to get under your skin?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Thank you,Touma,for at least answering my question. I appreciate that. As for you,EricJ2,I'm not trying to get on your nerves. I just asked a question of everyone,mostly because I had no idea what a weeabo was. Could it be that I was merely asking a question because I had no idea what a word was and I wasn't doing it to get under your skin?

No, you were canvassing FIVE threads, in your periodic groundhog-like emergence from the hole, in the hopes that we'd have forgotten by now and have nice friendly discussions about nice newbie things on American cable.

Short answer, to save you the effort of more periodic monthly forum-canvassing: WE REMEMBER YOU. Trust us on that one.
You would make a Weeaboo out of Uncle Sam.
pcj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
A good translation from Japanese to English is done by at least two people. You have one person who is a native Japanese speaker who knows a lot of English. The other is a native English speaker who knows a lot of Japanese. They work together on the translation, usually with the native Japanese speaker making the first pass at translating it to English and then the native English speaker making a second pass with both the source material and the first translation attempt on hand as references and cleaning up the stuff that came out wrong in the first attempt.

Any time there's a question about something, they can chat with each other to work out what it really means to come up with the best way to translate it.

Any time you have a single person on the byline for "translated by" and no equivalent such as "TLC" or "Translation checked by" on the byline, the resulting translation probably (but not always) sucks.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of the Australian Monster release, Siren has said it received fantastic sales

Quote:
[...]Monster is doing well (of course), but not because of anyone overseas: Australian and New Zealand fans are kicking this one to the front of the field.
Source:https://www.facebook.com/sirenvisual/photos/a.145118128885371.31514.137979919599192/677663372297508

They're also releasing a complete boxset probably sometime next year or so, international customers might be best of ordering it then to keep it all in one shipment and to get a lower price (AUS releases have the same RRP range as US releases but we don't have retailers like RightStuf and Amazon to give massive markdowns all the time, although I think they've a 30% off for the rest of the month)
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I think those 18+ stickers Viz puts on anything with even the slightest hint of mature content might have played a part in Monster tanking, as Viz has yet to understand that 18+ does not equal mature content, it equals hentai.

Teens who were interested couldn't buy because of the 18+ sticker (including myself). I'm sure a fair amount of people were turned off by the 18+ and expected it to be hentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I think those 18+ stickers Viz puts on anything with even the slightest hint of mature content might have played a part in Monster tanking, as Viz has yet to understand that 18+ does not equal mature content, it equals hentai.

Teens who were interested couldn't buy because of the 18+ sticker (including myself). I'm sure a fair amount of people were turned off by the 18+ and expected it to be hentai.

I'm sure another factor might have been the identity Viz tried giving Monster's DVD release. The boxset was the first & only time Viz released an anime under their Signature label. Unfortunately, while manga can have that generally accepted identity as being made for "mature" & "serious" comic readers, it's tougher to put that identity to anime with a wider audience. It's kind of like how Tezuka manga tends to sell well because even non-manga comic readers have an appreciation of the man's work, but Tezuka anime has always been a hard sell due to it's penchant for being more family-friendly.

Viz trying to expand their Signature line into anime was a neat concept, but Monster really showed that it couldn't work in execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12