• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
inuyasha magna

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Sbe also knows how to drive a story into the ground.

Remember Ranma?

Inu Yasha is getting there. Razz The only thing I'm looking forward to is the ending, not in a bad way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
^^

Sbe also knows how to drive a story into the ground.

Remember Ranma?

Ah, I dunno... I rather liked the manga series... it kept it's motion much better than the anime.

I do think I like Inuyasha just a bit better, though.... even though I don't think I'll finish collecting it. I prefer authors with a shorter attention span, these days....
crazy4bebop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm an OG (old guy=adult with two master's degrees, mortgage, etc.) who recently discovered anime through Adult Swim programming block. I'm hooked, and I can't believe it. From my "handle" you can see what hooked me (Bebop forever!), but Inu Yasha has developed into a sweet if maddeningly convoluted love story. A few Q's (be kind now--I'm delicate) for the wise masters out there who are anime/manga fans:

(1) Are the episodes I'm seeing on adult swim dubbed from a Japanese series, or an original production?
(2) Do the English language IY episodes follow the manga pretty well?
(3) THERE ARE REALLY 132 FRICKING EPISODES AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHO DIES, WHO LIVES, WHO GETS TO LOVE WHOM, ETC? Ok, I've vented now. I've read the thread above, and it seems this author could do almost anything to us after all this loyalty and interest, correct? Should I brace myself for a scene like Kagome sacrificing herself so Kikyo can live again or something like that? Seems the Japanese love tragic, depressing endings that just don't let go. Will this one have a lighter touch?

TIA any reply. I'll try to contribute info now and then too! Anime smile
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:55 pm Reply with quote
(1) Inuyasha, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Blue Gender are all dubbed from Japanese.
(2) Well, see it's tricky here. The dubbed episodes follow the original Japanese well. The original strayed a bit from the manga. Scenes are slightly different here and there, but overall, I think it's pretty much the same point. Afterall, they can't animate everything little thing. Time restraints and such. However, there have been things not animated, such as the Peach Man in Book #9. A shame really, that's one of my favorites.
(3) In a word; yup. As for your suggestion scene, I highly doubt that Kagome would sacrifice herself for Kikyo. I believe that Kagome holds her life in higher regard than Kikyo's... presence. Personally, I don't think Inuyasha will have a ultra-serious, depressing ending. I think, that like the fights they have, things will work out in some way.
crazy4bebop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Cuople more Q's then--

(1) Does an english subtitle version of these series exist? (IY, Tri, CB, BG)

(2) If anyone has seen/heard both, which cast do you prefer? From visiting boards and reading others' comments it seems sometimes the original Japanese voice talent puts more into their performances (though I get the impression they're talking about other stuff--"hentai"=???). I feel quite satisfied with the English cast for the most part--I can't imagine Bebop with any other voices. I hate the Japanese on my DVD's I bought. Just doesn't feel the same. I think Monica Stori does a wonderful job with Kagome, but I'm not as crazy about some of the otehr cast members. Same with Laura Bailey (see a pattern here--have a soft spot for the ladies Embarassed ). Wonder what ya'll think. Wink
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:37 pm Reply with quote
crazy4bebop wrote:
Cuople more Q's then--

(1) Does an english subtitle version of these series exist? (IY, Tri, CB, BG)

Vol.13 of Inuyasha (ep.37-39) is set to be released beginning of December. All the InuYasha DVDs have the option of Japanese dialogue with English subs. (don't be fooled by the bootlegs!)

All of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop have been released and also come with the option of Japanese dialogue with English subs.

Same goes for Blue Gender. The box set of it was released September 30th (as seen on the banner on ANN's homepage).

crazy4bebop wrote:
(2) If anyone has seen/heard both, which cast do you prefer?

I have only seen both versions for Cowboy Bebop. I like the dubbed version better, actually. Then again, I like watching the dubbed version on most anime. I'm not all that picky, though. Wink If you have anymore questions regarding anime, you should post on the "anime" forum. There are many answers to be found there.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
I remember Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale. First manga I ever bought, of course, this was before Viz's price cut, so, I ended up paying the $18. Boy, was that dumb. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I have found a link to a IY manga site.A couple of warnings before you go there:its free meaning no pictures, the translations will probably include strong/mild language, and violence, though this is only when it is present in the original Japanese version. Well anyway enjoy it as I much as I did. http://www.wot-club.org.uk/Inuyasha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rudoku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:11 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Didn't Ranma 1/2 take forever to get released here and all the volumes haven't come yet?! Ehh...InuYasha is better than Ranma 1/2 anyway. Wink

Hell, they just brought out the last four episodes of the anime out last month or so...(I wanted to see the return of Pantyhose Taro dammit!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2