• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flawless anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
There are so many elements that go into an anime that the chances of them all being flawless is effectively zero. In addition, many of the elements are subject to subjective evaluation so that the chances of getting anyone else to agree with you are even less.

My question is why would you be looking for such a thing? What are you going to do if you found one? Even if you could find a dozen near flawless anime would you spend the rest of your time watching those shows only?

Even if a show is really great, there is a limit to how often you can watch it. Once that is reached you are back looking at new stuff to see if there is anything good. With any form of entertainment, You have to kiss an awful lot of frogs to find one Prince Charming.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Is there a distinction to be made between an actual flaw and a simple instance where a show could have been better?

In theory? I would say absolutely they are different things. In practice however, no, not really.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi logic: All humans are flawed and humans produce anime, therefore all anime is flawed as well.

I don't think man has created anything that is flawless.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

The internet Smile
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
FLCL is flawless. Razz
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
To save this topic becoming long winded, Chiibi nailed the answer in its simpliest form.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

The internet Smile

The internet can't be flawless because you're here. Laughing Jokes.

In mathematical terms we can and have created perfect geometric shapes and elaborate, byzantine models of real and non-real objects via computer rendering.

Quantum computers will be available in the consumer market sooner than you think.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
As far as a flawless anime goes....no such thing. Even the greatest of greats have flaws. Nothing is perfect. Not in life nor in anime. There are titles that certainly "get it right" more than others. There are those that get it 95% right. But there's always a flaw somewhere. Plus we're talking about something that is very subjective. Your flawless title might be riddled with flaws for someone else, and vice versa. Disregarding the internet and the loud voices on it every title has something it could improve upon. Be it the visuals, the music, the dub cast (either language), the plot itself, etc. Even titles I rate as a masterpiece I would still admit have flaws. They might be minor and far less in number than other titles but they're still there.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
My closest to perfect anime has to be Princess Tutu. The worst I can say is that the second and third episodes are "meh", which kind of is a blow, but they're not bad enough to diminish it as a whole either, so I tend to let it slide. And the name, while accurate to the show, doesn't inspire confidence. But the US DVD release has some of the best disc extras on any standard release to date so more points.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2