• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rei Sentoki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Some points:

"Shot in the back". Means exactly nothing. Stand in front of a mirror with your handy katana, bat, yardstick, etc. Take a stance like you’re going to swing it like a baseball player looking for a home run (or anime character "X" trying to look cool. Can you see your back? Why, yes. You can indeed. Additionally, people move. A target may change its aspect towards a shooter during an engagement. A hostile, for example, approaching with a weapon, may try turning just before or after bullets fly, and will most likely move in some fashion after being struck by gunfire.

"Six rounds is murder". No one (outside long-range sniping) trains shooters to fire one shot, then observe results. They're trained to fire, and continue firing, until the threat has been stopped. Humans can and have soaked up incredible amounts of gunfire (dozens of rounds in some cases) while remaining combat effective. If you fire one round and lower your weapon to see how that went, you just may receive a fist, blade or bullet somewhere you'd really rather not have one applied. Also, besides movies and a few, rare special cases, you never "shoot to wound" or "fire warning shots". Fictional and Vice Presidential assertions might leave you thinking it's a dandy idea, but it's illegal in most cases and bloody dangerous for the shooter (enraged "shootie") or bystanders ("I fired a warning shot at the guy with the knife, but it nailed a three-year old girl eating ice cream in the head two blocks away.").

As for this case in particular, insufficient evidence exists to render a solid judgement if this is a "good shoot". However, the accompanying photograph from the article does show a grinning subject and the responding officers seeming relaxed with weapons holstered on a "suspect with a weapon" call. This, to my mind, does not bode well for the veracity of cries of murderous police state oppression.

As a final note, one needs look no further than any news source to see there are both antagonistic crazies and violent authorities wandering the streets most anywhere. My considered advice would be for everyone to deescalate conflict when feasible. If you're placed in a similar scenario, drop everything, even if you're in the right, and comply as directed. After all, the song doesn't go "I fought the law and I won". Suffering an unjust arrest is generally preferable to being an autopsy subject.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll personally wait until an outcome is reached before catching final judgement, but my two-cents is that I don't trust any US Police officer period, before the internet and social media many injustices was easily covered up - but now, every other day there are reports of police corruption, or brutality or even murder.

Look at the militarization of the police force in general, they don't need tanks or Apache gunships. The US police force is rapidly becoming worse than street gangs or drug dealers - honestly, I think an entire shake down is needed of every Police department and academy, because things to need to change, it isn't okay to shoot first and ask questions later.

I think you can look at what happened in Ferguson as a prime example as everyone being at fault....except the Police.
Master Chief Snake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
OMG. What an idiot. You know what is going to be happen when they're starting to racial riot like did in Ferguson, Missouri? He was impersonate Mugen and the sword is not real. There is no sharp blade. Cosplayers are always carrying non-lethal weapon and the fake weapons. Can you imagine if the cop murdered kid who dress as scary outfit like vampire by accident during in Halloween night? This is like that. If you going to walk out with cosplay as your favorite anime character on Halloween night, be careful what you carrying with that look like an lethal weapon. I just remember when Japanese tourist was arrested for bringing credit card with Idolmaster theme to USA. This is so stupid. This is official credit card, not counterfeit. It was made in Japan and built by official government bank which is partnership with Namco Bandai. I just saw the Japanese news about Man arrested for using his Idolmaster credit card which is came out on December 3, 2013. Here is the link for you about Man arrested for using his Idolmaster credit card.
http://www.japanator.com/man-arrested-for-using-his-idolmaster-credit-card-30660.phtml

Last edited by Master Chief Snake on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
wiitard119

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
this is really sad.
I hate cops that shoot people because of race/color involved.

Ugh.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
It's really sad to see stuff like this.

But in comments I've seen brought up the issue of "Qualified Immunity." While I understand that the reasoning behind it is to make it easier for lawmakers and law enforcement to do their jobs, I highly disapprove of its use. In fact, I would go so far as to say that those in law enforcement should not only not have qualified immunity, but, if anything, should be held to a higher standard than those they are charged with protecting. I don't care how challenging or dangerous the job is; if they can't live up to a higher standard, then they ought to find a different career.

Of course such a standard is likely never going to emerge, so instead I could settle for more strict oversight of individual officers. For instance, requiring officers to wear a camera and microphone whenever they're on duty with strict punishments to be levied against any who remove the devices. Law enforcement is one sector where I am highly in favor of oversight in the vein of "It won't matter what's recorded if you're doing nothing wrong."

Then again, even that is probably far too much to ask for. After all, that would inconvenience the all-important law enforcement officers who, of course, never make mistakes.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Master Chief Snake wrote:
Can you imagine if the cop murdered kid who dress as scary outfit like vampire by accident during in Halloween night? This is like that. If you going to walk out with cosplay as your favorite anime character on Halloween night, be careful what you carrying with that look like an lethal weapon.

That reminds me of that scene of mistaken identity in "Halloween 2".
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
There's a huge difference between open carry and brandishing. This guy was brandishing a weapon that appeared real in front of a number of policemen who had him terribly outgunned. This is proof that evolution works.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Yes, it is unfortunate when officers make poor decisions and when their evaluation of the situation was not accurate. That's what happens in the real world, where officers are forced to work double shifts, working while sick to support their family, and a whole bevy of other causes that hampered their decision making process. If the officer has abused their position of authority, then yes, by all means they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. However, if it was a case of an officer making a poor decision due to fatigue, I'm more inclined to grant that officer immunity, provided they can clearly explain why they did what they did.

I normally don't post, but this irked me. This is the most insane rubbish that I've read in this entire thread, and it sums up the ills of society like no other post here. You're giving carte blanche to someone just because they're tired? Good lord. No one put a gun to the heads of these cops and told them they had to work triple shifts, much less take on the job if they're not up to its challenges. It was a conscious decision on their ends to go into that line of work, and with free will to choose ones employment they should also come to expect and understand the potential consequences, including jail time for unjustified murder. Which, in a morally upright society, they would most certainly be facing.

Enjoy the propagation of a systemic issue, friend. You're in for a grand society of no accountability, cover ups, and blame dodging.
Master Chief Snake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
There is also similar back in October 17, 1992 when Japanese exchange student who became a US citizen living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana was shot by neighbor an accident after he and his friends were picked the wrong house during invitation to Halloween house. His name is Yoshihiro Hattori who got shot and killed by Rodney Peairs the house owner and private neighbor because he suspicious that the victim (Yoshihiro Hattori) is a burglar and other criminal intent. Yoshihiro Hattori was unarmed and innocent. There is no reasons for Yoshihiro Hattori. This incident is called "Yoshihiro Hattori murder incident". Almost similar to this event.
revolutionotaku wrote:
Master Chief Snake wrote:
Can you imagine if the cop murdered kid who dress as scary outfit like vampire by accident during in Halloween night? This is like that. If you going to walk out with cosplay as your favorite anime character on Halloween night, be careful what you carrying with that look like an lethal weapon.

That reminds me of that scene of mistaken identity in "Halloween 2".
Oh I see. I haven't seen this movie because I was having a problem with my motivate against the organizations and peoples I hated when the villain attack and kill them.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
I know this is an odd thing to latch onto with this news story but attorney Randall Edwards??? The actor who played Louie LaMintz in the Tex Murphy Adventure game series from the 90's and the recent addition to the series, Tesla Effect?,
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
For or against guns, you should never support officers arbitrarily detaining and questioning people because of some bullshit hunch. If you're into that kinda thing build a time machine and go live in the glorious U.S.S.R.

You are already living in the U.S.S.A; no need for the time machine, 1984 is now.

Please don't lecture us about shootings and crime. You're from Mexico, the most dangerous 1st world nation on Earth, with less guns per capita and far more gun deaths. Oh and contrary to popular belief, most gun deaths in Mexico have nothing to do with the US. Why would anybody let Mexico of all people lecture us on crime/guns/corruption. Fix up your own shit before lecturing us. Who the hell do you think you are?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
People need to calm down until the investigation is completed. Yes the autopsy looks bad in the way of the officers involved but we don't know what led up to the initial call, and what went down when the Police made first contact with the young man.

Um...exactly what hypothetical scenario are you envisioning here where shooting the guy six times in the back was anything but murder? Even if he was actually doing something to warrant police intervention, hell even if he actually did threaten them initially, its plain as day that they gunned down a fleeing man who was at the time no threat to them. That's murder no matter how you slice it. Waiting for the facts is legitimate response in some cases but at this point you really just seem to be using it as a way of burying criticism.

traveling wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Until it's determined if race was a factor, the mom making such a statement can mean she's showing her ignorance/being oversensitive.

Yes, that ignorant, irrational mother that just lost her child.

I know right? I'm so goddam sick of these grieving mothers being oversensitive. What's that? No, I'm not a gigantic, raging dickhole at all. Why do you ask?
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Why are people making this out to be a racial thing? People complain about white police shooting black people, but let's look at the facts.

52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980-2008 were black. Out of their targets, 93% of them were blacks. Whites made up 45.3% of homicide offenders. 84% were white. Only 16% came from other racial groups. Where are these riots whenever a black person shoots another black person(more common)? The fact is that black on black crime/white on white crime/Asian on Asian crime is WORSE than that of multiracial crime. Intracial crime is the worst crime that can ever occur. Black claim brotherhood and when a white guy kills them, they flip. When they kill themselves at far higher rates, they don't. Chicago has more black people dying in that city alone than all the white on black police shootings. Where is the rage? Not condoning any crime, but why are blacks so hypocritical when it comes to murder? If their logic stood, their anger should be directed not at the white man, but at the man in the mirror.
Awesome dude, just a whole bunch of bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with this case. Yes there are problems with violence in some black communities but that is not the issue here. All that we want from law enforcement and the legal system is the same treatment afforded to others, and in to many cases it just isn't happening. Look at prisons where blacks are sent to serve for minor drug crimes that many whites wouldn't. Look at racist laws like "stop and frisk" that were clearly geared at minorities. Look at the Garner case in Staten, where a unarmed cooperative black man was chock to dead for what? selling .75 cigarettes.

We've seen many Rodney King incidents where out of control cops are not punished for their misdeeds. But go on, keeps pretending that we live in a perfect utopia where all citizens are treated equally.

Last edited by The Count on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Crowjack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
no matter why cops were called to initially investigate this situation. No matter what he did when confronted by the cops. FACT is he was shot 6 times in the back. It is illegal even for a cop to shoot someone in the back especially if they are running away. The only time a shot to the back is not illegal is when the subject is a CLEAR and IMMEDIATE threat to the cops, others, and maybe themselves. Like if he had a hostage and was walking away or running at a baby stroller weapons brandished away from the cops. That being said in the heat of the moment crazy things happen. Adrenalin kicks in and you get tunnel vision. From my understanding the sword was indeed real but had been grinded down so it had no edge. Im sure the cops couldn't tell that from where they were. Also most shootings justified or not by cops are shootings where multple rounds are fired. There is one simple reason for this. Cops are trained to shoot until the threat is over. This usually means until the threat hits the ground or the clip is empty. And I read or herad somewhere that the 2 cops were not even brought in and interviewedabout the shooting for awhile like 2 days or something. That in itself is wrong. As soon as anyone else is arrested for anything involving 2 or more people cops ALWAYS separate the people. That way it is harder for them to fabricate a story and get away with thecrime. If they are separated and tell 2 diifferent storys then you know something is up. But the cops have had ample time and oppurtunity to make up and rehearse their side of the story now. They also already lied about how the man was shot to their superiors. In an inrview the chief of police or someone else said that he was told by 1 of the cops that he lunged at them with a sword and that is whe n he was shot. That is false since we now know he was shot in the back. This is what I think could have happened. I've been to alot of cons and you always see cosplyers strking poses with their props. Maybe when the cops approched the guy and asked what he was doing he pulled his sword and did a few Mugen moves or something. The cops freaked out and thought he was attackin them. Guy freaks out when cops pull guns and runs away. Mad about the situation and thinking he must be either on drugs or crazy to be walking around dressed like that with a sword they opened fire. I honestly think this is avery likely scenario. No matter what happened though, I don't see how the cops had any right to shoot the man in the back.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
Of course it was racial suspicion. The sword was the trigger of course.

Unless there was aggression involved, he would not have been shot at least otherwise. What happened to approach and talking?

If it was a naked guy, running around, he would've been tazed and arrested.

Last edited by WatchforMoons7 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13