• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Florida Teen Says Soul Eater Manga, Slenderman Inspired Her to Set Home on Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Original article has links to ABC and CBS, not FOX, so in this particular case, the problem is left-side media. Sorry, left side.

People's attempts here to blame "conservatives" or "liberals" are just as bad as the media attempt to blame "soul eater". Be the change you want to see in the world.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Great, more scapegoating here and way to go on inaccurately describing Soul Eater there.

Also, this girl definitely needs to seek major psychiatric help and seeing her blame manga for her problems despite that it doesn't make any sense at all, I just hope the more smarter people would call bull crap on her excuses.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:

Okay, going off on a rant here (mostly) unrelated to anime, but relevant to the news article:

This whole "they can get their counseling in PRISON" sentiment that rears its head when atrocities happen is a toxic and dangerous attitude that contibutes majorly to the dilemma America finds itself in today where prisons are so packed they're forced to set convicted offenders free, while mental health is neglected and out of reach to people who would benefit and ought to be receiving it. Prisons aren't hospitals, they're cages. When you imprison the mentally ill, they don't get help, they end up in isolation cells in restraints on suicide watch with minimal contact and minimal treatment. There's no end to the horror stories. Google it and see for yourself.

The girl needs therapy, period. Thank goodness the family was unharmed. Soul Eater is a shameful distraction from real world problems.

By its very nature, one could say all violent crime is committed by the mentally ill. Just because you have mental problems, doesn't mean you are not responsible for your crimes. You want to fix the problem, then reform prisons, but in the meantime you work with what you have. The girl's family is lucky they are still alive, but the girl herself will never go home, if for no other reason than the safety of her younger brother. Sad to say, there are some lines you cross, that you can't come back from.
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:

This whole "they can get their counseling in PRISON" sentiment that rears its head when atrocities happen is a toxic and dangerous attitude that contibutes majorly to the dilemma America finds itself in today where prisons are so packed they're forced to set convicted offenders free, while mental health is neglected and out of reach to people who would benefit and ought to be receiving it. Prisons aren't hospitals, they're cages. When you imprison the mentally ill, they don't get help, they end up in isolation cells in restraints on suicide watch with minimal contact and minimal treatment. There's no end to the horror stories. Google it and see for yourself.

The girl needs therapy, period. Thank goodness the family was unharmed. Soul Eater is a shameful distraction from real world problems.

Well, that depends on what those mentally ill individuals are doing to other people. If someone has a mental disorder that compels them to commit petty crimes for example, by all means let's try to rehabilitate them. If the cost of incarceration is going to exceed what it would cost to make the victims of their crimes whole, then tossing the person in prison is not the optimal solution. On the other hand, if a mental disorder is causing someone to commit arson or attempt homicide, then the court needs to weigh the interests of both the offender and the victim(s) and it is distinctly possible that keeping the offender under lock and key is the optimal solution.

Perhaps if the criminal justice system wasn't obsessed with incarcerating petty drug offenders, then prisons could actually try to rehabilitate offenders. Mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines, which make for good political theater, but bad public policy, don't help either.
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
By its very nature, one could say all violent crime is committed by the mentally ill. Just because you have mental problems, doesn't mean you are not responsible for your crimes.

I'll go ahead and stop you, in particular, right there. Crime and mental illness are not emerging concepts that people in this forum need TarsTarkas' guidance to define, they are very distinct concepts defined in science and common and statutory law, and the law says in no uncertain terms that we do not hold people criminally responsible for wrongdoing carried out when a person is not in possession of their wits, able to distinguish right from wrong, or exercise control of their own behavior. The entire motive/intent area of criminal law was developed and exists because it turns out people sometimes do horrible, tragic things without wanting to or meaning to.

You should be ashamed for peddling this ignorant crap about "lines you cross you can't come back from". The only thing lost in this terrible incident is a garage. A simple admission to a mental health clinic, some counseling sessions or maybe a prescription could mean a bright and hopeful future for this girl and her family. The single biggest threat to their happiness is people like you who would rush to condemn their daughter to prison, in spite of not knowing them, not being harmed in the incident, and only knowing as much of their story as you've read on a website about Japanese cartoons. You would put her high school education in jeopardy and put her instead in the company of murderers and rapists because of some sanctimonious catchphrase your granpappy tole you when you wuz a boy. You'll feel differently the day someone you know and love is diagnosed with dementia in some form.

Seriously, shame on you. You are the reason America sets convicted offenders free while the mentally ill starve to death in their own feces. If you care about what's happening with this family, fly to Florida and help them rebuild their garage, and stop trying to put their daughter behind bars.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
If ya guys even bothered to read the original source, you'd see that they mentioned Soul Eater precisely because that's what she told them apparently:

• After the teen was taken into custody, she allegedly told investigators she had been reading Soul Eater, which made her upset about past bullying and her mother disciplining her prior to bedtime.

Ya guys are getting as lazy as what ya purport the media being lazy. Confused

• During the investigation, the girl admitted to using the websites Creepypasta.com and SoulEater.com, which are associated with "Slenderman." At this time, investigators have no evidence to believe that she set the home on fire because of the violence found on these websites, but authorities remain concerned.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
During the investigation, the girl admitted to using the websites Creepypasta.com and SoulEater.com, which are associated with "Slenderman." At this time, investigators have no evidence to believe that she set the home on fire because of the violence found on these websites, but authorities remain concerned.

And the "but authorities remain concerned" is the key. What authorities? What concerns? Can we have, y'know, a quote? Real information? As it is, this is pure editorializing on the part of the news-writers, in a purported hard-news article. Just to keep up that shadow of doubt over anime/manga/videogames/rock-'n-roll/other-teenage-directed-entertainment.

If the first sentence there had been "During the investigation, the girl admitted to hearing instructions from the field mice in her back yard", do you think the following sentence still would have have been "At this time, investigators have no evidence to believe that she set the home on fire because of the instructions from the rodents, but authorities remain concerned." ? I don't.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
EDIT: The first paragraph is more in reply to mdreura's post; I'd somehow convinced myself Mikeski made both that and the one above mine.

Mikeski, you're always going to run into staunch opposition when you join the chorus of people trying to blame crimes on anything and everything but the criminal. I'm not a fan of retributive 'justice', but even still the one who does the deed must bear the cost of their actions(which, in my opinion, would be restituting their victims); I won't say rehabilitation isn't important, but replacing prisons with insane asylums isn't exactly a real solution.

Oh, and the comparison you're looking for in your latest post is books. Not mice, books. Though a mouse can lead you to a book.

Last edited by Polycell on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Mikeski, you're always going to run into staunch opposition when you join the chorus of people trying to blame crimes on anything and everything but the criminal.

You seem to think I believe the precise opposite of what I believe.

Quote:
but replacing prisons with insane asylums isn't exactly a real solution.

Actually, we've spent my entire lifetime doing the opposite; making more prisons to house the sort of people who used to be in asylums in previous generations.

Quote:
Oh, and the comparison you're looking for in your latest post is books. Not mice, books. Though a mouse can lead you to a book.

Nope, it was definitely mice. Field mice. The ridiculousness of it was kind of the point...
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
What is it with teen girls and Slenderman? We've had multiple girls worship this thing now. I thought it was just a stupid game PewDiePie got popular, but it's a real legend?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
@mdreura
I am sorry you feel that way, but it doesn't change the fact that she tried to murder her mom and younger brother. Just because she failed and they survived, doesn't make her crimes any less heinous.

Even if she received all the counseling and aid that you wish for, mental health officials still wouldn't be able to 100% guarantee that she wouldn't try to murder them again, or commit other such crimes of that nature. While criminals have rights, so do their victims, and her younger brother has a right to live, and the right to live in a home, where the threat of imminent murder is not hanging over his head.

Yes, there are lines you cross, where you can't go back. Doesn't matter the reasons. If she was a single child, her parents out of love or guilt, might find a way to reunite with her, but with the younger brother in the mix, his safety must take precedence.

I have no problem with criminals serving their time in a mental health facility or a prison, as long as they serve their time and don't get out early because they are 'cured' or 'rehabilitated'. Reagan and Brady's shooter is the most blatant example of why people don't trust the mental health option.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
You seem to think I believe the precise opposite of what I believe.
Looks like I went and conflated you with mdreura's post above enurtsol's, so I ended up replying to demons in my mind.

I do still believe that any criminal needs to take the responsibility they're able to for their actions rather than having them dismissed with "It's not your fault, you're just crazy"; let me just reiterate that tossing someone in a cage for years on end to pay some imaginary "debt" to a collective delusion is far from what I mean.
Quote:
Actually, we've spent my entire lifetime doing the opposite; making more prisons to house the sort of people who used to be in asylums in previous generations.
I'm entirely aware of the trend; my point remains my point. Besides, there's a damn good reason that we started emptying the asylums. Or would you rather believe that JFK gave that movement a boost just because?
Quote:
Nope, it was definitely mice. Field mice. The ridiculousness of it was kind of the point...
Oh, I know; I know full well what the Queen of the Field Mice told you to say to distract us from the fact that in the absence of the internet we'd be talking about books.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
CronaMakenShinigami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Ok, let me just say that I'm not completely sane myself. This girl is probably a lot like me.
I absolutely LOVE Soul Eater with all of my heart. It makes me happy and I end up annoying the crap out of anyone around because it's pretty much all I talk about. There is action and there are parts in it where there is a LOT of emotion. I would be lying if I said that some things in Soul Eater weren't a little insane. HOWEVER, this girl has ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHATSOEVER to blame her own actions on manga, or even freaking Slenderman.
spoiler[Yes, Crona did kill Medusa. Have you ever seen the poor kid? If I was Crona, I would have killed her too. This girl's mother could NEVER compare to Medusa. Witches aren't real. The girl in this article probably did feel a connection to Crona, anyone with a heart would. But that still is no reason to attempt murder. Whoever this girl is, she needs to realize that she wasn't actually under the influence of the Kishin's madness like Crona was. Asura isn't real. She needs to take responsibility for her actions. I mean, I absolutely love Crona, she is so much like me, and I wouldn't attempt to murder anyone IN REAL LIFE. Even in the very end of the book, Crona is the one who saves everyone. She sacrifices herself and she even say that she, and I quote "...need(s) to place burden on my(her) heart..." Because of all the things the she's done. She understands that killing all those people and causing such chaos is her fault and she takes the blame for it.]
This girl is obviously under a lot of emotional distress. I understand. I myself feel violent or angry sometimes, everyone does. She made a mistake, and by the way she was acting it sounded like she knew it. She needs to learn from this experience. She needs to have better communication with her Mother and her sibling. Maybe one day they will forgive her.
I personally will not forgive her until she makes a public statement expressing her apologies for wrongfully blaming Soul Eater and pushing the blame on something other than herself. It was not Soul Eater or Slenderman who committed this crime. It was the girl, she is the one at fault. It's about time she realized it.
People like this really piss me off.[/spoiler]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
It is not about forgiveness. Not saying it doesn't matter or it is not important. It is to some degree.

But right now it is about feeling safe, and keeping her younger brother safe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6