• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chinese Writer Thinks Doraemon Is A Sinister Affront to China

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
endallchaos wrote:
"Sinister Hidden Meaning." That reminds of the time when news in Mexico were claiming that DBZ and Pokemon were made for the Devil and for his worshippers! haha Laughing

Strangely in my country too, Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh, etc were said to trap children into Satan worshiping. Only fundamental and fanatic religious nuts think so, though... Kinda feel bad for the children.

I'm glad my parents never actually believed the news. I very much enjoyed Pokemon and DBZ, when I was a kid. Smile
yu3lora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Chinese people nowadays are so negative. Rolling Eyes
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Strangely in my country too, Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh, etc were said to trap children into Satan worshiping. Only fundamental and fanatic religious nuts think so, though... Kinda feel bad for the children.

And even then was picking on easy symbolic pop-culture targets for spotlight envy.
One of the fundamentalist preachers conducting Pokemon-burnings accidentally let a few too many pennies drop when he tried baiting reporters by saying "We Christian-right don't get as much media attention as your WWF wrestlers do!"....Uh-huhhh, keep talkin', pal. Wink

Similarly, Doraemon is the "easy target" of Japanese symbolism at the moment, with their getting attention in exhibitions and pre-Olympic buildup; apparently the Chinese didn't want to beat up on the new Godzilla movie.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
He's rignt. I mean, if you try hard enough, you can almost make Doraemon rime with Hong Kong. Isn't that proof enough ? Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Though people are entitled to their opinion, there's times that their views are wrong/dumb, and I think this 1 is of them. I am not afraid to insult or criticize such opinions (depending on what it is).
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
yu3lora wrote:
Chinese people nowadays are so negative. Rolling Eyes

So apparently an extremely dumb comment from a foolish Chinese writer represents the collective thought of 1.4 billion people?

I always thought some people declaring all Islamic people are terrorists is the most insulting generalization I have ever heard; but this comment easily tops it.

Also this man's declaration has already become an instant joke in many Chinese websites and forums, so no, not every Chinese is "negative" as you may perceive, Mr. Objectivity.

@mgosdin

No, such comment does not need approval, or more precisely, they don't care. Otherwise, they is no way Chinese websites can simulcast 80% of the Japanese anime this year (of course shows like Mahouka, no Chinese website is dare to acquire the rights, because....the obvious reasons)
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Comedy gold right there. I'm honestly not even going take this seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
Well China and Japan do have some very bad history, not to dissimilar to England and Frances relationship,

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
lordwindowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Way to overthink a children's manga that's almost 50 years old at this point.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what they think of that Tibetan Dog movie?
Mizmow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Well, ... I guess it's advisable not to let him watch Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I smirked when I see "hidden meaning"; I would love to send him a copy of 1984. I guess he may draw a knife if I make him to sit with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert for a hour.
Anyway, there are plenty of crazies around the world including in US, Europe and even in Japan. One just has to be amazed what can come out from insane human's mouth.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that themes of respect and friendship could be taken as subversive or hypocritical, especially in a show aimed at little kids.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
@Engineering Nerd

It is no secret that the Communist Government of China spews hate towards Japan when it suits their purpose, and when it does so, it is not safe to be Japanese in China, or to be seen with 'too much' Japanese consumer goods.

Think most people realize that the Chinese government as it is now, doesn't speak for the majority of the Chinese people, but you still can't ignore its effect on the people.

Whether this guy is a unofficial agent of the government, or just some crazy racist remains to be seen. The common people will watch what they want to watch, anyway.
Mizmow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas, whom are you defending? yu2lora, generalized nonetheless and obviously didn't mean the Chinese government.

Besides, the Japanese legislative and executive aren't much better in that respect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2