• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Discusses Space Dandy's Future, DBZ Kai in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well good riddance to Beware the Batmeh. Seriously, airing that show before Hellsing Ultimate was the equivalent of airing Gargoyles on the same block as Gantz. It doesn't work.

As for Space Dandy, do we really need a sequel? The series had a lot of good ideas, but so many of them went absolutely nowhere. I think I'd rather pick and choose the episodes that worked.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Happy to hear Dandy has the possibility of reappearing not only as reruns but more (??) in the future.....maybe even in MY lifetime. As for Psycho Pass and KLK appearing on Toonami, ah, why not either pay the $8 per month or marathon the 14-day free trial and enjoy it where it already resides on Netflix.

Am hoping Dandy gets a BluRay release over here in the states. The finale last night was a satisfying hoot and well worth my time watching it.

kinda obvious. cause there are people who would rather watch in on tv than use their own money or use the netflix free trial. and it would be a good thing cause the other option is though illegal methods which no one wants.

Besides the odds that kill la kill or psycho pass get and AS broadcast is very slim to none. for one thing , though i am a die hard fanservice junkie, kill la kill is kinda too fanservicey for AS unless AS change their S&P so they would have the same broadcasting rights ala IFC.

and though psycho pass is a good show, its not high octane enough. remember moribito? it was a mess to start cause the action was slow and i fear psycho pass will suffer the same fate. sure in a way the series is similar to ghost in the shell stand alone complex, but it isnt.

though i'm glad DBZ will return but just like with one piece and naruto its too little too late. Bleach is right now the only series that shows on TV first before the DVDs and once they go,it will mean the end of that era unfortunately. the only viable option i can see for AS would be fairy tail and of course for 2015 season 2 of AOT. if they can find a way to do a simul broadcast with space dandy, i am sure they can do the same for AOT season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Same here! It's such a tragedy Young Justice had to get its plug pulled way back when. Apparently, the show was popular among teenage girls instead of the intended teenage boy demographic, so that's why they cancelled it. I'm not quite sure what the reasoning is behind that; is it a bad thing that girls like superhero shows or something?

That was the reason for why Tower Prep a live action show that aired on CN years eariler got canceled. Young Justice got canceled because it wasn't bringing in enough revenue off merchandise to justify the money being sunk into it's production on top of the licensing fees that presumably had to be paid to DC.

belvadeer wrote:

On the subject of Beware the Batman, you're right about that. The CG's not bad in the least and there were some subtle nods to Batman the Animated Series in quite a few episodes if people bothered to watch and find them.

LOL I never get tired of people crapping on good shows that unfortunately live in the shadow of preceding shows some which aren't even as good as they think they are or completely different shows not even related to the show being crapped on.

TarsTarkas wrote:
I liked Beware the Bat also. Wonder what happened, that they had to condense the series so much.

Because CN gave up on the show in a rather dickish manner much like they did with Generator Rex. Let's advertise the hell out of this show and put on a saturday morning or friday night block. Put the show on a mid season hiatus for months then bring it back with no advertisement whatsoever in mini marathon where we burn off the remaining episodes which (just to throw salt in the wounds) other countries besides America have already aired.

What makes the whole situation with BTB (and Symbiotic Titan) much worse than say what happened Young Justice, Thundercats, Generator Rex, Green Lantern TAS is that if you ever wanted to say buy episodes of these shows on DVD well you're shit out of luck.

http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35106&page=158&p=3324448&viewfull=1#post3324448
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Beware's issue was that it was terrible, plain and simple. The writing was terrible, the CG was terrible to look at, the characters dull, the villains dollar store rip offs of the more famous rogues, and the show was completely out of place on the same block as freaking Hellsing Ultimate.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Because CN gave up on the show in a rather dickish manner much like they did with Generator Rex. Let's advertise the hell out of this show and put on a saturday morning or friday night block. Put the show on a mid season hiatus for months then bring it back with no advertisement whatsoever in mini marathon where we burn off the remaining episodes which (just to throw salt in the wounds) other countries besides America have already aired.

What makes the whole situation with BTB (and Symbiotic Titan) much worse than say what happened Young Justice, Thundercats, Generator Rex, Green Lantern TAS is that if you ever wanted to say buy episodes of these shows on DVD well you're shit out of luck.

http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=35106&page=158&p=3324448&viewfull=1#post3324448

Action animation is on it's way out in America, and networks are adapting to it. The last action cartoon Cartoon Netowork has, Ben 10 Omniverse, is getting it's remaining episodes burned off at a 6AM timeslot. Nickelodeon sentenced Korra to online only and will finish it off before the end of the year, only a month after the previous season aired. All the current iterations of superhero, Ninja Turtles, and Transformers are more funny/lighthearted than they were before to compensate for this shift in trends. Only action shows still around will be ones based on decades old franchises like Transformers and Ninja Turtles. Originality is going to be a thing of the past.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
^
If that's the case, then it could mean that the animation industry in the U.S. is destined to only get smaller over time, does it? Sad
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
^
If that's the case, then it could mean that the animation industry in the U.S. is destined to only get smaller over time, does it? Sad

well from the looks of things, its highly likely. it have happened already in japan,so it will eventually happen here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Action animation is on it's way out in America, and networks are adapting to it. The last action cartoon Cartoon Netowork has, Ben 10 Omniverse, is getting it's remaining episodes burned off at a 6AM timeslot. Nickelodeon sentenced Korra to online only and will finish it off before the end of the year, only a month after the previous season aired. All the current iterations of superhero, Ninja Turtles, and Transformers are more funny/lighthearted than they were before to compensate for this shift in trends. Only action shows still around will be ones based on decades old franchises like Transformers and Ninja Turtles. Originality is going to be a thing of the past.

Well, if we're just talking about DC Comics, they've begun shifting their focus heavily into live action adaptations. Arrow, Flash, Constantine, Gotham, with pilots for both Supergirl and the Titans coming down the pipes. With live action SFX available to make these shows, and make them not cheesy, the days of DC animation are quickly becoming numbered.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Well, if we're just talking about DC Comics, they've begun shifting their focus heavily into live action adaptations. Arrow, Flash, Constantine, Gotham, with pilots for both Supergirl and the Titans coming down the pipes. With live action SFX available to make these shows, and make them not cheesy, the days of DC animation are quickly becoming numbered.

On TV yes in the straight to DVD market it's future looks a lot less bleak. Also I don't put much stock in the Live Action shows Smallville was great for the first few seasons.....then things got bleh. around season 4 or so.

Fedora-san wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Transformers Rescue Bots is pretty lighthearted Prime on the otherhand wasn't.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

DC continues its trend of trying to make their comic books not comic book-y with all these serious live-action shows that may as well be teen dramas or crime procedurals with superhero names and settings. Just more decline in general for animation in general I suppose. At least Beware the Batman didn't seem ashamed of having a mutated crocodile or bat running around its universe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

DC continues its trend of trying to make their comic books not comic book-y with all these serious live-action shows that may as well be teen dramas or crime procedurals with superhero names and settings. Just more decline in general for animation in general I suppose. At least Beware the Batman didn't seem ashamed of having a mutated crocodile or bat running around its universe.

Too bad the fans couldn't be less ashamed of it for daring to be a CGI Batman series not handled by the trio of Burnett,Timm, & Dini and for opting to use some of the less prominent members of Batman's rogue's gallery. Not their watching would've prevented the dick move on CN's part but still....
Odori-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
TG72 wrote:
No Bleach re-runs? I was hoping that would be around for at least another couple of years.
I'm really surprised Bleach isn't getting any amount of re-run in the back half of the block.

I think there would have been a better chance for Bleach reruns if the show had only 50 episodes or less these days. I don't see One Piece or Naruto: Shippuden getting reruns either.

Confused You might want to look again - Naruto Shippuden has been in reruns on Toonami for months now.
Odori-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote "Action animation is on it's way out in America, and networks are adapting to it. The last action cartoon Cartoon Netowork has, Ben 10 Omniverse, is getting it's remaining episodes burned off at a 6AM timeslot. Nickelodeon sentenced Korra to online only and will finish it off before the end of the year, only a month after the previous season aired. All the current iterations of superhero, Ninja Turtles, and Transformers are more funny/lighthearted than they were before to compensate for this shift in trends. Only action shows still around will be ones based on decades old franchises like Transformers and Ninja Turtles. Originality is going to be a thing of the past."[/quote]

Nickelodeon wastes nothing - they rerun their animated series pretty much forever (the original Avatar series is still running, for example). It's only a matter of time before Korra goes into semi-perpetual reruns on Nick east/west and Nicktoons, so it's likely Season 4 will eventually be airing on TV as well.

April 2015 update: LOK Season 4 was broadcast in it's entirety earlier this year, and the entire series is now in perpetual reruns, just like ATLA, Just as I predicted. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6